Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why am I Unable to Book Certain UA Flights Between BOS and the Carribbean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Whenever I search for flights to the caribbean, starting in Boston - the website always has me fly in the evening with a 10-12 hour layover until the next day OR it shows a morning flight with first class with a normal 1-2 hour layover.

How come it will not show any normal coach fares for the first leg of the trip and allow me to travel in the morning when I do this search?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm Reason: please note what a proper thread title should look like; thanks
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Some specifics would be helpful. BOS to where? When- at least the month you want to go.

United hasn't had a large presence in the Caribbean. Perhaps those are the only flights?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Boston to almost anywhere in the caribbean. Looking week of april 14th (5 nights or so)

The issue i'm finding is when i search for the flight, it shows flights that depart in the evening out of boston and connect in EWR. Then it shows a 10-12 hour layover with a departure the next morning.

However when I go further down the list of available flights it shows morning flights out of Boston with a typical 1-2 hour layover in EWR. But these flights are more expensive since it is showing me a fare for Business/First class. When I click view seat map - there are economy seats available, but these fares do not show up in the search.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are seeing supply & demand. Your first post noted that there are only 10-12 hour layovers. But, your second post noted that there are convenient layovers which are much more expensive.

You're flying during vacation to a Carribean destination from the Northeast and seats are in demand. The more convenient, the more likely they are to be more expensive.

Fuel prices are on the way up, so I would make a decision soon.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

In my first post I'm actually referring to both layovers -

For the shorter layovers it only shows fares with business class but when I click view seats there are coach seats available.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The problem is likely the morning flights out of BOS (what is their economy availability?). Are you going via EWR? Some fares require Saturday night or not available on certain days.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Flights to SJU are pricing under $500 all in with service BOS-IAD-SJU.
I tried STT but I'm finding connections from SJU to STT via Cape Air and it requires connecting to a Cessna.

Which other airports in the Caribbean would you like?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Try building it with multi city. That should get rid of the irritating overnight.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

When I do multicity search BOS - EWR and then say EWR-AUA for 4/14. It only shows first class fares out of BOS.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RYomtov
..... It only shows first class fares out of BOS.
Bingo!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

So even though I count upwards of 15-20 E+ seats available in the seat map you can only purchase business fares?

Sorry if I am repeating myself.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

So even though I count upwards of 15-20 E+ seats available in the seat map you can only purchase business fares?

If Y is sold out yes (note the seatmap can be very misleading).

Example, Y is sold out to mostly non-elites without access to E+. So they have no seat assignments and E+ looks empty (BTW, it is not uncommon), passagner will get seat assignements at OLCI or gate.. Economy is sold out but seatmap looks empty.

So the real question is, what the the fare class inventory shows? (provide a specific flight and date, someone can look up or read up on Expert Mode to find yourself.)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

Yes - based on this:

UA 1288 F5 A3 Z2 P0 Y0 B0 M0 E0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0
UA 1040 C9 D7 Z2 P0 Y0 B0 M0 E0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0

They are not selling any Economy seats at this time on those flights.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite

You can. They're just more expensive than the business class fare.

Edit - Nevermind
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is very common on Sat and Sunday searches. Search tomoorow! Its the great website. I too searched ORD-ANC in June, 2 non stops both showing first class only and yes, I have economy selected. I called and it was taken care of. My frequent weekend searches only show first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.