FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   ITO upgrade chances? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1441761-ito-upgrade-chances.html)

LGACIC Feb 23, 2013 11:20 pm

ITO upgrade chances?

Flying ITO-LAX in mid June (redeye obviously) with my daughter, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it to burn a CR-1 on this route. I've only flown it once before and cleared as a 1P. Does anyone have other data points suggesting this is an easy upgrade?

syzygy Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am

The Hawaii to US west coast routes have usually been fairly easy CPU Upgrades as its mostly filled with non status price sensitive leisure flyers. I wouldn't burn an RPU if you have other uses for them.

1KHI Feb 24, 2013 2:19 am

ITO upgrade chances?

The reduction on capacity to Hawaii (and smaller planes subs with far less FC seats) have made my upgrade go down from almost 100% to about 80% as 1K based in HNL. It basically depend on the days you fly (Thursday night from HNL tends to be bad for me).

I have no base point for ITO though, however I would not be extremely confident about getting a CPU as 1P, but also not overly negative.

mander Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am

totally agree with 1KHI. If I were a 1P I would use a RPU on that route if R was showing positive. Heck I'd even do it as a 1K.

PV_Premier Feb 24, 2013 10:28 am

as a 1P i have had poor success with CPU to/from HNL and fairly good luck to/from other islands. its CPU so it is unpredictable but my last flights SFO-KOA-SFO i cleared well in advance on both on a G fare.

LGACIC Feb 24, 2013 12:44 pm

This is good to know. Thanks for the responses. I'm not too worried about my clearing as a 1K, but am a little more concerned about my daughter. Since she's 5, no way we can split the PNRs. I may burn the RPU (4 Rs available right now), take my chances, and yank her bank into Y if I don't get the upgrade.

craz Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LGACIC (Post 20308933)
This is good to know. Thanks for the responses. I'm not too worried about my clearing as a 1K, but am a little more concerned about my daughter. Since she's 5, no way we can split the PNRs. I may burn the RPU (4 Rs available right now), take my chances, and yank her bank into Y if I don't get the upgrade.

If I understand you your plan is to use a RPU for her and you hope you clear as a CPU. A couple of big problems 1- if a person wants to downgrade once they cleared then the same fare basis they originally purchased must be available,= booked a G but W is the cheapest avaialble = You cant Downgrade 2- you kid will be considered an UM if they arent in the same cabin as you are even if youre on the same flight and they will hit you up for the UM fees.

Then again that maybe how they will Downgrade her then, my advice is to do teh samething thing for both of You

alex_b Feb 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by LGACIC (Post 20308933)

I tried to upgrade my with an RPU and my wife with a GPU (out of regionals) and was told they couldn't do it without splitting the record. I imagine it would be the same for just RPUing your daughter.

mgcsinc Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 20309232)
1- if a person wants to downgrade once they cleared then the same fare basis they originally purchased must be available,= booked a G but W is the cheapest avaialble = You cant Downgrade

Unless the flight is almost completely full, all fare classes will open up between T-24 and T-3, so this might not be such a big issue.

WineCountryUA Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 20310577)
Unless the flight is almost completely full, all fare classes will open up between T-24 and T-3, so this might not be such a big issue.

yes but the available seats to downgrade to at T-3 can be less than great.

LGACIC Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for the counsel. Will wait to see if an RPU EWR-SFO clears next month; if not, I'm leaning towards using the extra towards securing us both upgrades ahead of time.