Facebook musings

Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Facebook musings

This was posted recently on the United FB page, along with an old CO photo.

They still don't get it...

Before we had jet bridges, we rolled out a gold carpet.

Continental began rolling out the gold carpet in 1947 with its “Gold Carpet Service.” Not only did passengers get to walk down a gold carpet to board the plane, but they also enjoyed gourmet meals off the “country club” inflight menu.

Last edited by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA; Feb 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA G
Did they also post how many orders of magnitude more expensive airfare was in 1947?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
Did they also post how many orders of magnitude more expensive airfare was in 1947?

What is the purpose of this thread? Are you complaining because the FB page is posting about CO's history?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
What is the purpose of this thread? Are you complaining because the FB page is posting about CO's history?
I was probably should have quoted more-specifically. Oops.

My response was to:
They still don't get it...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not complaining at all... I find it odd that they post about a company no longer in existence (in name) and tout the Golden Service, rather than talking about their own service today. Heck, compare and contrast it if you want but it sounds a little like "oh we miss CO". All the while there was a horrible crash that year. If they wanted to talk about the "Good Old Days" United had a lot of first in the industry and they could cheer about the NEW United. Instead they chose to reminisce about CO.

Seems odd.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:07 pm

I was probably should have quoted more-specifically. Oops.
Huh??? That sentence makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Huh??? That sentence makes absolutely no sense at all.
I suck.

I interpreted the OP as "look at all this awesome service they used to have! Look how far we've fallen" to which I wanted to respond with "airfare was an order of magnitude more expensive 60 years ago, so the service different is not surprising."

I did a poor job of delivering that.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I suck.

I interpreted the OP as "look at all this awesome service they used to have! Look how far we've fallen" to which I wanted to respond with "airfare was an order of magnitude more expensive 60 years ago, so the service different is not surprising."

I did a poor job of delivering that.
That's a valid comment. A lot has changed in air travel and will continue to change. Perhaps they should post about United's Chicago non stop in 3 1/2 hours with the finest service in the air on the DC-6?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
Seems odd.
Indeed, your response does.

They're celebrating the history of the company. There is nothing wrong with that at all. That it came from one side or the other really isn't particularly relevant to anyone. Unless, of course, you're looking for random things to complain about which don't really matter anyways.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed, your response does.

They're celebrating the history of the company. There is nothing wrong with that at all. That it came from one side or the other really isn't particularly relevant to anyone. Unless, of course, you're looking for random things to complain about which don't really matter anyways.
I didn't complain... I thought it was odd to post something about the competition at the time.

At that time CO was being sued for racism and United was pioneering Coast to coast flights.

It is odd that while a company continues in turmoil, makes a random FB post about the former CO. If it was to celebrate an anniversary or occurrence I wouldn't have seen an issue, rather this was just a random post with no reference. Maybe they will be posting something about United's past to celebrate their heritage and back and forth. Maybe, but not likely. I would be happy to be wrong.

No more red carpets and no more gold. It is blue.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I couldn't understand why people were making comments that things have changed and they shouldn't be posting stuff like this. Of course this have changed! Don't be foolish! Yes, air travel is very different and far less glamorous now. It is common to celebrate history and how far we have come.

Do we complain that auto shows celebrate the old Model Ts or even a restored Camaro? Yes, compared to a Tesla or today's Lexus, those cars were very different. Some would say the new autos today suck compared to those. Either way, it's history.

And why would United not promote Continental history? It's part of the brand now. United always used to tout their entrance in the aviation by delivering mail. Well, that was actually Varney Airlines, not United Airlines. Yes, UA and CO were competitors at the time they are reminiscing about n Facebook, but it wouldn't negatively impact dithers revenue stream now. Revenue impact would be future only.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I didn't complain... I thought it was odd to post something about the competition at the time.
They were not competition. Continental and United were competitors. Neither exists anymore, as they merged to form United Continental Holdings.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
UA Facebook just updated their cover photo to a UA aircraft/hanger from (I assume) the '40s. Huh, there sure do love CO
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
If you think about it, it is odd they would post on United's Facebook a CO past. It is strange, just like everything else (the livery, font, logo, etc.), it's seems the branding/messaging is so broken and awful (laughing). I mean seriously, it's like them posting "Eastern Airlines was one of the launch customers of the L-1011" or "PeoplExpress was a pioneer in LCCs!" Just odd from a branding perspective. Especially when there's so much to talk about NOW in the PRESENT.

(EA and PE were absorbed/merged/purchased into/by CO, if I am wrong pls correct me)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.