Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by QBK
Also, I'll note that I flew on my birthday as a Plat last year, and was surprised to get a brief but hand-signed birthday card when I boarded at my local airport. That's it. As a general member, I think you're unlikely to get any notice.
I flew yesterday (Nov 6) on my actual birthday and upon scanning by BP at the gate, and agent stopped me and gave me a card. It was from United, hand-written, with 'Premier 1K' up the top right.

I must admit I was quite surprised and felt really good. Nice touch. Then my flight was delayed 3.5 hours, we were offloaded, and I missed my connection to Florida . (Side Note: Was rebooked the next day in F, unrequested, on a Y ticket, by a fantastic 1k desk agent).

Hot and cold...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seanp7
I flew yesterday (Nov 6) on my actual birthday and upon scanning by BP at the gate, and agent stopped me and gave me a card. It was from United, hand-written, with 'Premier 1K' up the top right.
I'm flying on my birthday (at 6 AM... ) and would love a card (from anyone, really!). I don't see it happening
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Not going to happen. While I'm sure (as it should be) a special day for you, it's not particularly fair to those with higher elite status or those who paid a premium in miles or dollars.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:41 pm

Back in the old fashion day when there was no United app that would show the upgrade list, you might have a better chance. Now a day, no agent would risk their career just to be nice and got written up for it. With the " most employee unfriendly airlines " management that they are dealing with right now, they are being watch for every move they make right now. Just one wrong move and that all it takes.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by flyer121
Not going to happen. While I'm sure (as it should be) a special day for you, it's not particularly fair to those with higher elite status or those who paid a premium in miles or dollars.
The recipient of the card didn't say anything about an upgrade. May be independent of that.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
The recipient of the card didn't say anything about an upgrade. May be independent of that.
Yes, apologies. My search for 'birthday card' yielded this old thread, which was more around upgrades. But I didn't want to start a new one Anyway, here's an image of the card I received:

Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ajumbaje
I am flying from newark to seattle on february 28th and as a MileagePlus account holder, do I have the possibility of receiving a birthday upgrade? Thought I'd ask, I dont have any status with them, dont fly often enough to get silver, gold, etc.

I might just ask the gate attendant if thats by best option.
I know it was asked innocently, but I'm sure there are many ROTFLs from this.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:57 pm

Flying on birthday

My father will be flying on his birthday on UA, Y, no status. Is there anything extra they do for birthday passengers? If not, it it possible to call UA and arrange something in advance, like birthday cake?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Simple answer - no.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm Reason: clean up after move
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA1K
no. they will not do anything.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I flew on my birthday this year... they were out of my first choice meal, and the FA spilled coffee milk on my arm.

I guess that's a bonus? (Hey! Free milk!)

Sidenote: Don't mean to bash the FA - it was an accident, and she apologized profusely, including during deplaning. Still, not the world's BEST birthday happenings!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Fly THY

Turkish Airlines offers celebration cake to their Miles and Smiles members if they fly on their birthday or wedding anniversary.

See link: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...t-10000-meters
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Everyone is quick to say that special recognition and perks don't happen when you fly on your birthday. I have counter evidence:

I recently flew ORD-STL on AA Eagle operated by Republic, and after the door closed a flight attendant made a celebratory announcement about a passenger's birthday. She then proceeded to move the birthday couple from their Main Cabin seats to a first class bulkhead across the aisle from me (out for which, as a US Platinum, I had the pleasure of shelling $30). Over the course of the 40-minute flight they were showered with Jack Daniels and the flight attendant gave them one of everything from the buy-on-board bar cart—while I munched snack mix and was more or less ignored.

If you one is brash enough to announce a birthday to an airline crew, who knows what might happen.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by echino
My father will be flying on his birthday on UA, Y, no status. Is there anything extra they do for birthday passengers? If not, it it possible to call UA and arrange something in advance, like birthday cake?
Given the number of people on a typical flight, most flights will have someone on board having a birthday. Trying to do some kind of recognition would not only be onerous, but someone who had a birthday and didn't get recognized might get bent out of shape about it.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Another option is to have a family member write to Smisek's office, like this guy's family did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzFnexs4N0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.