Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ajumbaje
I am flying from newark to seattle on february 28th and as a MileagePlus account holder, do I have the possibility of receiving a birthday upgrade? Thought I'd ask, I dont have any status with them, dont fly often enough to get silver, gold, etc.

I might just ask the gate attendant if thats by best option.
Welcome to FT! Asking the gate agent is definitely your best (and only) option to have any chance of success. It's very unlikely you'll get it though. On my 30th birthday many years ago I was flying SEA-DEN on a non-upgradeable award ticket.. I asked the GA nicely if there were any 30th bday upgrades available..he was really nice and he checked but F was full. He would have done it for me had there been space.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ajumbaje
I am flying from newark to seattle on february 28th and as a MileagePlus account holder, do I have the possibility of receiving a birthday upgrade? Thought I'd ask, I dont have any status with them, dont fly often enough to get silver, gold, etc.

I might just ask the gate attendant if thats by best option.
What do you think this is, Cathay Pacific?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
thanks OP, i needed a good chuckle, it had been awhile since the PJ's in GF thread which was my last good laugh on FT
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
As of now, both flights (morning, evening) show F4, so there are not, even 2 weeks out, very many seats available for upgrades. Those will probably be sold, or at least go to 1Ks who are upgraded.

While it can't hurt to ask, look at the upgrade list before you bother doing so. If it shows a lot of people on the waitlist, you might as well not even ask.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by drewguy
As of now, both flights (morning, evening) show F4, so there are not, even 2 weeks out, very many seats available for upgrades. Those will probably be sold, or at least go to 1Ks who are upgraded.

While it can't hurt to ask, look at the upgrade list before you bother doing so. If it shows a lot of people on the waitlist, you might as well not even ask.
I'd actually be curious if fastair could comment about how often they're asked for an op-up from general members for various reasons. Honeymoons, birthdays, etc.

On a flight with 138 people in economy, the likelihood that it is someone's birthday that day is greater than 1 in 3. And from a hub I would almost bet that over 1 in 3 of those people are also silvers or above and ahead of you in line for an upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
When I reach my 100th birthday I'll definitely expect one!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Birthday Upgrade possibility?

If there are more people on the upgrade wait list than seats in the first class cabin, don't bother. Otherwise, only way to find out is to ask.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
yes, you'll be behind Santa and the Easter bunny on the list
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Birthday Upgrade possibility?

Better someone else ask on your behalf than you look pathetic

I once got my wife a biz class desert brought back to us in Y - she was on UA metal the entire B'day due to time change over pacific. When boarding SFO it was noon the day before. when we stepped out at SIN it was 12:05am the day after. I saved and framed the yellow special meal catering card (with the date printed on it) for her too. "We prepared this meal especially for you!"

FA got a GTEM
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

Your birthday present is that you get to fly on the airline with the industry's finest people, has the best network and a game-changing airplane.

Happy Birthday!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:11 pm

yea, it was something that came to my mind today. Sorry if its a "humorous" topic, but I thought id ask where I could get a quick and courteous response. Thanks for the replies! I'll upgrade to economy plus myself since I'm 6'5. Still doesnt hurt to ask I would think. If not, ill be perfectly fine with econ plus
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Slim to None and Slim left town !
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Awesome post, welcome to flyertalk.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT. As a 1k I was still 11th on the list for my LGA to DEN flight last week on my birthday, so I expect it's unlikely. My op-up experiences have been on ultra long haul traveling on airlines that don't already have published criteria on how they're supposed to give away their F product. Sorry.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Not a chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.