Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Maldives on Miles: Will this Itin work & how to book

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives on Miles: Will this Itin work & how to book

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Possible to get first class award seats to Maldives using UA/CO miles?

I'm platinum on CO. I'm looking to go to the Maldives in 2012 (November/December). Was going to try and go first on Emirates, but just saw they are dropping out of the Star Alliance partnership. Who else has 3 classes from US going to Maldives, and, is there ANY chance of redeeming miles for 2 seats in first? Last time I went to Bali, I tried for 2 first seats on SQ, and no luck. Had to go Biz class. Any helpful tips???
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Emirates was never in *A; they had bilateral agreements with CO and UA which are now both expired.

As for getting to MLE, the only *A service is via SIN and that's a 2-cabin aircraft. You can get F awards on UA, LH, LH, OZ, NH and TG as far as SIN and then C from there. Finding the seats is a whole different beast, but those are the main options as far as carriers where F redemptions are possible to that region of the world.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Sri lanka

I did a similar trip with miles, and you could head to Sri Lanka in first, and then take Sri lankan airlines to Male - their bus flight was really very good and as I recall only 18 seats on a a340. I bought the Sri lankan tickets for almost the same as United wanted in taxes, so it worked well...

Just an idea...
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:37 pm

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Or as another thought, Lufthansa
F to Bangalore, and connect from there... There is a
FRA to BLR which works nicely in F with a 747
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
Qatar Airways is a United partner airline and flies to MLE. Final segment will probably end up in business/first.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:07 pm

CO, UA, LH then $$ on EK

I searched and searched and called and called, I effectively gave up on flying with Singapore, and the extensive travel time to Singapore and went reward F Lufthansa to DXB then paid $1900 for J-class on EK.

Most frustrating part of the trip was getting to the Hilton Trans Maldivian lounge off of EK flights, and waiting for the delayed Singapore flight. Then, once airborne on the Waldorf branded seaplane, the pilot explains that we have to drop the two Singapore pax off at the Hilton, adding 50mins to our miserable flight.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I was checking the United and Star Alliance websites. Are you sure that Qatar airlines is a partner in Star Alliance? I don't see that anywhere.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by cimay
Thanks. I was checking the United and Star Alliance websites. Are you sure that Qatar airlines is a partner in Star Alliance? I don't see that anywhere.
They are not. They are a partner of United - and have a seperate award chart, you cannot combine them with Star Alliance airlines

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51398,00.html

A first class ticket to South Asia would be two awards - at a whopping 390,000 UA miles per ticket.

Austrian flies from VIE to MLE seasonally, but no first class obviously, but it looks like its weekly

[KVS Availability Tool 6.2.0/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
Code:
VIE  Vienna Schwechat Intl AT [LOWW]
MLE  Male Intl MV [VRMM]
SUN  08 Jan 2012 - 15 Jan 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
OS         45      VIE   20:30     MLE   09:05 +1  772  0   ----5--     08:35       -       -   30 Dec   24 Feb
OS         45      VIE   21:05     MLE   09:40 +1  772  0   --3----     08:35       -       -   09 Nov   29 Feb
I personally would go first to SIN, and then C from there.

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know how to get a "saver" award as opposed to the "standard" award on Swiss, using my CO/UA miles?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:46 pm

Swiss does have a once-weekly ZRH-MLE service- just another option.

SQ has a decent product as well- they fly the A333 which has their new "regonal" product with angled lie flat seats- certainly better than the 9V-SR*/SQ* 772's they have running around.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cimay
Does anyone know how to get a "saver" award as opposed to the "standard" award on Swiss, using my CO/UA miles?
Noone should be booking standard awards, ever.

For Swiss, check availability on Aeroplan.com and call CO to book - along with CA,TK,SQ, LX is not available online.

There is usually very decent Swiss F availability out of YUL to ZRH.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: CX Diamond, SQ PPS, UAPP, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-->MLE Rewards Question

Hi All,

Newbie here. I'm trying to book award travel for me and my wife to go to the Maldives this summer. When I do a search under Reward Travel for 1 passenger, there are many options that come up, but when I do a search under 2 passengers, nothing shows up. Does this mean there is only 1 available seat? Or do I need to book each ticket separately?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by snorlax04
Hi All,

Newbie here. I'm trying to book award travel for me and my wife to go to the Maldives this summer. When I do a search under Reward Travel for 1 passenger, there are many options that come up, but when I do a search under 2 passengers, nothing shows up. Does this mean there is only 1 available seat? Or do I need to book each ticket separately?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Yes, it means that there aren't more than 1 award seat. Search for one person, then on the flights in which you are interested, click "Fare Class" link in the upper right. Look at the availability of award codes; you need >1.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One flight out of the whole thing probably has just one seat available and it screws everything up when searching for two.

See how many of your flights have 2 seats, and which one has one, there may be an easy workaround if for example, its a domestic flight.

Remember you can change dates/flight times on the same route for free later.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
One flight out of the whole thing probably has just one seat available and it screws everything up when searching for two.

See how many of your flights have 2 seats, and which one has one, there may be an easy workaround if for example, its a domestic flight.

Remember you can change dates/flight times on the same route for free later.
+1

We've done this from time to time. Take different flights for IAH-SFO and waitlist on each others' flights for example.

Or get IAH-LAX-SFO as a suboptimal choice, then waitlist IAH-SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.