Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....

Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sonyeoshin
Best seat advice
See update in post 500
See update in post 690

Best seat on the Island Hopper .. {closed to new posts}

An Island Hopper [Micronesia] Definitive Guide on Where to Sit [UA B737] {this thread}

FAQs derived from findark's post (post #500)
What is the Island Hopper?

The Island Hopper is a United route between Honolulu and Guam, stopping at the islands of Majuro, Kwajaelin, Kosrae, Pohnpei, and Chuuk in between. The Island Hopper operates in both directions, and skips Pohnpei on certain days. You are allowed to get off the plane and "transit" at each stop except for Kwajaelin, which is a US Army base.

This route is similar to Alaska Airlines' "milk run" routes in rural Alaska. All of these routes serve as lifelines for the residents living in areas served by the routes, as the sole connection providing supplies and transportation to/from the rest of the world.

What is the Island Hopper schedule (as of 2024)?
UA154 (the full Hopper) departs Mon/Fri and flies HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM.
UA155 (the full Hopper) departs Mon/Fri and flies GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ-HNL.
UA132 departs Sun/Wed and flies HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM (skips KSA).
UA133 departs Sun/Wed and flies GUM-TKK-PNI-KWA-MAJ-HNL (skips KSA).

UA193 (GUM-ROR-MNL) departs GUM on the evenings of Tue/Fri and flies GUM-ROR-MNL.

The Hopper arrives around 1800+1, so in order to do the entire flight without a stopover you would need to depart HNL on UA154 on Monday morning.

Should I experience the Hopper?

If you like hopping through short segments, with beautiful island views, as well as a constant parade of amazing cloudscape between islands, the Island Hopper may be for you!

Which direction (west or east) is better?

The prevailing wisdom here seems to be in favor of taking UA154 (HNL-GUM). findark did 155 from GUM to HNL, and I think there were some overlooked benefits. The eastbound Hopper has the advantage of doing all the fun stuff in the morning and afternoon when you're fresh and eager to enjoy. 14 hours onboard a 737 is a long time*, and doing it eastbound you can give in to the exhaustion and conk out for the final MAJ-HNL segment. Even the HNL arrival was actually not too bad - it's only 10:50pm Guam time, so if you head on to a hotel you're pretty much in line for a night's sleep.

The most notable downside of taking the Hopper eastbound is that you visit MAJ in darkness. We ran about 25m late the whole way, and it was full dark by the time we touched down in MAJ. Whichever way you go, don't do it on a Wednesday! Kosrae was my favorite island, and it would be a shame to miss it.

*And, I learned, while the flight mechanic hops off in MAJ and the pilots get to work in shifts, the cabin crew are on duty for the whole 14 hours. They were understandably a bit burnt out by the middle of MAJ-HNL, but were simply outstanding nonetheless - greeting kids and handing out wings as they boarded in MAJ.

What's with the plane configuration?

The Hopper is currently flown by a GUM subfleet 737-800 (currently Version 4 on the United website - Row 1 is set back several inches which yields fewer E+ seats). The seatmap is loaded as the "Asia local" 737 map, which looks roughly like a 737-700. Like with other "generic" maps, it will update to the full seatmap about 4 days before departure, when the additional rows will appear.

1AB are blocked for the augmented flight crew, who change places with the pilots in the cockpit at MAJ. 2AB are also blocked because the crew rest seats at 1AB will recline until almost touching row 2, and it is usually used for crew storage.

Where should I sit?

The key here is understanding approach and wind patterns, along with each airport's runway configuration. The following stops and runways are on the north side of their respective islands:

TKK (4/22), PNI (9/27), KSA (5/23)

The following stops have runways on the south side of their atolls:

KWA (6/24), MAJ (7/25)

The prevailing winds at this latitude blow from the east, so a typical landing goes from west to east (into the wind). Therefore, in order to have best views on final approach and initial takeoff, you want to be on the starboard (right, F) side for TKK, PNI, and KSA, and on the port (left, A) side for KWA and MAJ. If you are flying westbound, or you land backwards at any stop on the eastbound flight, then the flight may need to position into the approach, usually by overflying the island at higher altitude out to sea. In this case, both sides of the aircraft will get views, although the closer views belong to the "correct" side. In my case, we landed "backwards" on 22 at TKK, and used the regular 9, 5, 6, and 7 at the other stops.

You should absolutely have a window seat - why else are you here?! The best seats are therefore any window in the Business cabin (note that 1A and 2A are blocked), 7AF and 8AF in Economy Plus (10AF has a misaligned window but is okay, the missing window will kill you in 11 and then the wing really starts intruding), and anything nice and far behind the wing in Economy. In this vein, I declined an upgrade on GUM-TKK since only 2E was left, and we flew in 4A/7F, 2F/4A, 2F/3F, 3A/4A, 3A/4A, 2F/7F.

What can I do at the stops?

The best thing to do is get off the plane! You can take tarmac photos and get amazing close-ups of the plane. You will then be shepherded into the gate area, where there are restrooms (some lacking soap and/or towels) and often locals selling souvenirs and snacks. On our trip, the most substantial souvenirs were available at MAJ. If the flight is running late they will make an announcement requesting transfer pax to stay on the plane; however, as obviously savvy travelers who were along for the whole ride and could get on/off quickly with no bags to stow, we got absolutely no pushback from the purser whenever we went outside anyway.

If you do disembark, you are required to take all carry-on baggage with you. They conduct a security sweep onboard the aircraft and will remove unclaimed bags. As is mentioned many times in this thread, KWA is the exception - as it's a US Army base you cannot get off unless ticketed to there. On our flight, we were requested not to take photographs but were allowed to look out the window. I didn't see anything terribly interesting.

You can also use WiFi in the terminal/transit area when you disembark and at some stops you can get your passport stamped. MAJ, PNI, and KSA have confirmed free WiFi. Passport stamps have been confirmed at PNI, KSA, TKK without "exiting" just ask security about getting a stamp at these 3 airports and they should be able to accommodate you.

Should I check my bags?

Yes. As annoying as it was to wait ~10 minutes for our bags in HNL, it was a lot less annoying than having to haul them around each stop, and find bin space again once on board.

What is the food situation?

Going east is a slightly different meal schedule than west. GUM-TKK and KSA-KWA are coded Snack, and MAJ-HNL is Dinner. The first and last meals are reasonably substantial in J (think like a Breakfast and Dinner code) and somewhat small in Y (somewhat less than a meal in int'l Y - was six pieces of fruit and a muffin in the morning, followed by a turkey sandwich for dinner). The middle snack was just a pass of the snack basket up front; neither of us sat in Y that segment but I would guess they just offered almonds. Additionally, every segment they were offering J pax some packaged almonds.

My general verdict is if going the distance in Y, pack some snacks or buy them at the stops along the way. If you're in J then there's enough food for 14 hours of sitting.

And how about IFE?

Look outside! That's actually about all the IFE there is. The GUM fleet has no WiFi and only DirecTV. Note that DirecTV does not work outside of CONUS, so really it just has the 8-10 looping movies of DirecTV (slightly different movie set for an Asian audience). The movie loop resets at each stop, so unless you want to watch the first 1h30 of a movie six times, there's not much use to the IFE. It is at least free in Y. I brought a book and read it for the middle 20 minutes of each segment and until I fell sleep on MAJ-HNL.

Can I get an upgrade on the Hopper?

Empirically, yes! We were offered upgrades of 11/12 eligible segments; I declined a GUM-TKK upgrade to keep my window, and my companion's MAJ-HNL upgrade was eaten by UA IT (agent in MAJ apologized profusely but understandably wasn't going to remove the already-handed-out upgrades to the next 2 pax on the list).

In order to have any shot, however, you need to be able to split the direct flight into six segments. This generally cannot be done on a mileage ticket or a paid through fare, and would need to be done via multi-city ticketing if visiting an island. In my case, I spent a very long time getting an extremely wonderful pmCO agent who was able to hack my ticket together with 9 connections on the way home. As this is also the only way to choose different views for the different approach directions, I recommend asking for this rather than for upgrades. It causes quite the headache for UA systems, but in the end I felt like it was a huge benefit to fly pretty much all of it in J. Absolutely something I credit to the value of being 1K: I was able to ring the 1K desk many times to get agents to deal with the various hiccups that came along with a PNR that had eight tickets and at one point 36 segments attached to it.

The first five Hopper segments (going east) are CPU eligible; MAJ/HNL requires a GPU. We had GPUs on our reservation and did a mixture of advance clearing and clearing at the gates in the islands (where amazingly enough they had the new J BPs waiting!).

Where to stay and what to do in GUM and HNL?

I think this depends on lot on which way you're going. Flying east, we arrived in GUM around 11pm (maximizing time in Tokyo, but not crazy enough for the 2am arrival), and spent the night at the Days Inn Tamuning. It was at the very bottom of my quality standards, but quite affordable and with 9h45 of total ground time all in the dark I did not want to pay double for a beachfront property I would never enjoy.

In HNL, I took up the excellent recommendation in this thread of the Best Western Plaza Honolulu. It was the cheapest of the few airport hotels in HNL. Having cleared customs by 3:45 (we arrived late), it was off to bed quickly. The arrival is only ~11pm Guam time, so I highly recommend going straight to a bed on arrival in HNL. Afterwards, we took advantage of the 24h connect rule to spend the whole day in HNL before continuing on home to SFO. We were pretty exhausted after another redeye home, but the beach time in Hawaii was well worth it, especially after being taunted by all the beautiful mid-Pacific islands.

Big Metal Bird Episode 8: Island Hopper - 2018
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
They just did a video in the Micronesia island hopper flight which is pretty interesting
https://youtu.be/TPueM5OF1Wc
Print Wikipost

UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by adcer
Can at least answer this. The system doesn't (or didn't for me) allow an RPU to be used as booked. After I called a few times I found an ex-Continental rep who was willing to take about 40 minutes to break apart the flight into segments, so I could select seats on each leg (I wasn't able to select seats at all as booked and prior agents would only let me select the same seat for all segments; I explained to the CO rep that I wanted to select seats on a per segment basis for the views).

An interesting side effect of breaking the flights into segments was that I was then able to apply an RPU. It hasn't cleared and I'm not sure I'll feel good about the decision if like, one segment clears. But the system let me apply it.
Let me try calling again. I couldn't find anyone to break apart the segments for me earlier, but it might be because I wasn't using the right argument. I'll try the "select seats on a per segment basis" line this time. Any other tips on talking to them?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:58 am

Can at least answer this. The system doesn't (or didn't for me) allow an RPU to be used as booked. After I called a few times I found an ex-Continental rep who was willing to take about 40 minutes to break apart the flight into segments, so I could select seats on each leg (I wasn't able to select seats at all as booked and prior agents would only let me select the same seat for all segments; I explained to the CO rep that I wanted to select seats on a per segment basis for the views).

An interesting side effect of breaking the flights into segments was that I was then able to apply an RPU. It hasn't cleared and I'm not sure I'll feel good about the decision if like, one segment clears. But the system let me apply it.
Update: I tried your advice and was able to split the segments!

However, on applying upgrades, I noticed that GPUs cannot be used on the last MAJ-HNL segment, saying that my fare class (T) is too low. That seemed really odd, because accoding to this:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions
I should be able to use GPUs without fare class restrictions on either Hawaii or Oceania regions? How are cross-region flights considered for RPUs and GPUs?
(I couldn't use RPU on that segment either, I assume because it crosses regions?)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Does anyone know if passengers flying MNL-ROR-GUM on direct flight UA192 disembark during the stop at ROR? I know that transit passengers do disembark on the island hopper (UA154/155), but I haven't seen any info about the other Air Mike flights.
I flew this route a couple of weeks ago. After we landed, the crew stated that we would have to remain in our seats. A couple of minutes later, they stated that we would all have to disembark for cleaning/maintenance. So I don't know what to tell you!

Disembarking was interesting. ROR is a bigger airport than any of the connecting airports along the UA154 island hopper route that I did a year ago. Three gates, all with jetbridges. There is a robust souvenir shop, although the café that sold the wifi cards was closed during my wee-hours stopover, so I wasn't able to send messages back home. Even though I didn't go through immigration, the security agent was kind enough to arrange a stamp for my passport - and it's a really fantastic stamp, shaped like a jellyfish. I inquired with the gate agent about the possibility of same-day confirmed change to the GUM flight leaving 22 hours after mine, but no dice.

And my GPU cleared for MNL-ROR-GUM, something it doesn't always do for the direct MNL-GUM. So all in all, I'm glad I did this routing, even though I wasn't able to see a darn thing in Koror in the middle of the night!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by pkimball
I inquired with the gate agent about the possibility of same-day confirmed change to the GUM flight leaving 22 hours after mine, but no dice.

And my GPU cleared for MNL-ROR-GUM, something it doesn't always do for the direct MNL-GUM. So all in all, I'm glad I did this routing, even though I wasn't able to see a darn thing in Koror in the middle of the night!
Shame, ROR is awesome and 22 hours there is heaven.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Micronesian "Island Hopper" (UA154) Recent Changes

One year ago I posted The IRROPS saga of UA154 (Island Hopper) of Friday the 13th to the UA board, regarding a wild ride HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM that included 35 hours of mechanical and crew rest delays with overnight strandings in MAJ and TKK. One year later, I’ve come back from yet another journey on the Island Hopper, this time on-time with no disruptions. I'll post an actual trip report with photos to the trip reports board in the next few days, but wanted to post the recent flyer-relevant changes I saw to the UA forum since I know many of you plan to someday cross UA154 off your bucket lists.

First, the aircraft now has the new 737-800 config versus the old Continental Micronesia layout, with more E+ and seat back screens. There is now a full complement of E+ seats, which is of significance for those of you planning the full 14-hour HNL-GUM adventure. Not only does E+ give you legroom, it also gets you further forward in the plane so you can get off the plane sooner and spend more time on the ground to stretch your legs at each of the transit airports. Mrs. Aoumd and I were glad to sit in 8EF where the views out the window were great. (The mechanic sits in 7C west of MAJ). The “Reserved Seating” block that blocked out the first ten rows of Y a year ago seems to be gone now. E+ also has power outlets now, a huge improvement for those going end-to-end. And there’s seat back screens now playing a handful of canned movies and with a flight map available. No DirecTV or Wi-Fi, but we did get to watch The Intern starring Robert DeNiro and Anne Hathaway.

Second, the sandwich service halfway through the flight has been eliminated. (Beverage service is unaffected). Flying west, you still get the full free breakfast in Y for the long haul HNL-MAJ, and the sandwich on the last 90-minute leg TKK-GUM, but no sandwich in the middle of the 14-hour odyssey anymore. The FAs indicated that this cutback is a result of United going to a single, global 738 configuration which includes 2,000 pounds of additional IFE equipment vs the drop downs they replaced. This additional weight, combined with the smaller galleys in the new config, meant that something had to come out spacewise, and also weight-wise to get the Island Hopper off the 5,700 foot runway at KSA, so there’s less food. The FAs were more than happy to point out the food opportunities in the transit areas of the airports: specifically, that KSA has some of the juiciest tangerines in the world (and they were!) in addition to some tasty banana chips. In addition:
  • MAJ has a snack bar with sandwiches, snacks and even alcohol.
  • PNI has a little café in its airport waiting room
  • TKK had a concession with some snacks in the waiting room as well.
  • HNL has several concessions including Starbucks open before UA154 boards in the morning.

As has historically been the case, no transiting passengers are allowed off at KWA.

Third, air stairs are now ramps/no more planeside rack to store transiting carry-ons. The open air stairs I encountered a year ago have been replaced with covered ramps at all stations where I was allowed to deplane: MAJ, KSA, PNI, TKK. There were no longer carts at the bottom of the air stairs for passengers to place luggage during transit (all transiting passengers must take all belongings with them from their overhead bins, seat pockets, etc. as the plane undergoes security inspection at all stops).

Knowing the security rule, I tried a strategy that worked well and is even more important without the rack to place your carry ons: Checking my rollaboard suitcase, I boarded with just a backpack of things I might want on the plane, with a tote bag of things I knew I wanted at my seat (1-2 magazines, note pad, charger/battery, iPad, snacks) inside. Upon each boarding/reboarding I took the tote bag out of the backpack and kept it at my feet, while placing the much larger backpack in the overhead bin to ensure I had sufficient legroom for the 14-hour haul.

Fourth, no more outdoor smoking area for transit/departures passengers at MAJ. This change was posted with a sign on the door to the transit/departure waiting room, next to the fold-out table which makes up much of the podium area at MAJ.

Fifth, no more carpets in the Premier Access Group 1/2 lanes at any of the island airports. Previously, these were the only carpeting in the entire terminal. In a place like KSA, where the terminal is structurally more like a giant hut than an actual building, I can see how it would be hard to keep that carpet clean without spending many more times what UA spends elsewhere to keep clean.

One thing which has NOT changed: the crews on the Island Hopper are still phenomenal. Our cabin crew was great, and one of the sets of pilots spent much of the time at some of the transit stops answering customer questions about the flight, and even offering to take the pictures of passengers as they posed in front of the “Welcome to” signs at several of the intermediate airports. A great team all around, then and now.
jimbob and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by aoumd
I'll post an actual trip report with photos to the trip reports board in the next few days, but wanted to post the recent flyer-relevant changes I saw to the UA forum since I know many of you plan to someday cross UA154 off your bucket lists.

Thank you very much for sharing your story once again. I look forward to seeing the photos.
I had to cancel my trip last year, but considering it again this year. Been wondering if I should go east or westbound. Seems like west will be a winner.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
Seems like west will be a winner.
You definitely want westbound, so you get daylight the whole way.

I did it last month. Trip was awesome, but my IFE was malfunctioning -- so I got that damn de Niro movie playing round and round for 14 hours. Couldn't even turn it off, let alone pick something else.

Very nice fish and rice at the snack bar in Pohnpei. I was starving by that point.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by aoumd
I'll post an actual trip report with photos to the trip reports board in the next few days, but wanted to post the recent flyer-relevant changes I saw to the UA forum since I know many of you plan to someday cross UA154 off your bucket lists.
This is extremely helpful / useful as I go in a month. Thanks for updating us.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
go west & visit Palau

Thank you very much for sharing your story once again. I look forward to seeing the photos.
I had to cancel my trip last year, but considering it again this year. Been wondering if I should go east or westbound. Seems like west will be a winner.
Going west is definitely the way to go. My most difficult decision was where to end the trip? I read all of the GUM reviews, and decided to do to Palau! Well worth the visit!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:40 pm

hey I am very excited yet sad to see the new config. As I am still debating if I should jump on the LAX-HNL-GUM-MNL OJ CGK-NRT-LAX sale which is still valid and Island Hopper-able. I have no status with UA, and does this mean I will not be able to get 7 or 8th row? should I just get the last few rows instead? is it worth 136 bucks to upgrade to E+ and to 8th row?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:33 pm

i'd just take the last row, the view isn't blocked and there will be plenty of chances to stretch your feet
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
hey I am very excited yet sad to see the new config. As I am still debating if I should jump on the LAX-HNL-GUM-MNL OJ CGK-NRT-LAX sale which is still valid and Island Hopper-able. I have no status with UA, and does this mean I will not be able to get 7 or 8th row? should I just get the last few rows instead? is it worth 136 bucks to upgrade to E+ and to 8th row?
You can purchase E+ for 7th or 8th row, but not 7C because that seat is the in-flight mechanic west of MAJ.

I've been on the right side on both my Island Hopper adventures, and have had no regrets view-wise.

Given that UA often charges in the low $100s for six hour transcons IAD-LAX, $136 for 14 hours of flights and being one of the first ones off from the main cabin is a bargain IMHO.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:05 pm

This is extremely helpful / useful as I go in a month. Thanks for updating us.
Glad it's useful! Be sure to post any questions!

I'm winding my way through the trip report on the Trip Reports forum (the entire trip including my 4 nights each in LIH, HNL and GUM), plan to post the Island Hopper part tomorrow and hopefully have everything up by the end of the weekend.

Been wondering if I should go east or westbound. Seems like west will be a winner.
I've done westbound twice for the reasons most others do it, it's 100% daylight and you don't arrive into your final destination at 3am like you do into HNL going east.

That said, if you were in a situation where there was no saver space going west but saver space going east, you only would lose the last real segment to darkness, MAJ-HNL, the other islands you should get to at or before sunset.

Last edited by aoumd; Feb 25, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:37 pm

I don't think going eastbound is as bad as people make it out to be - sure the 3am arrival isn't great, but if you have an early morning flight back to the mainland the layover is only 3-4 hours. Plus, you get up until MAJ all in the sun (where the "fun" is) anyway
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I don't think going eastbound is as bad as people make it out to be - sure the 3am arrival isn't great, but if you have an early morning flight back to the mainland the layover is only 3-4 hours. Plus, you get up until MAJ all in the sun (where the "fun" is) anyway
+1. It's daylight from GUM to MAJ, and unless HNL is your destination, the early am arrival is just another price of international air travel. Flying was fun again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.