FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Anyone else have problems saving United .vcs files to Outlook (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1437917-anyone-else-have-problems-saving-united-vcs-files-outlook.html)

DEN Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Anyone else have problems saving United .vcs files to Outlook

Whenever I try to save a United reservation in a .vcs file to Outlook, it wants to open another calendar and not save it to my regular one. I may I have a configuration issue but can't seem to sort it out. I don't know when the issue started, after 3/3 or when I upgraded to a new Outlook version, but this is a newer issue ( last year )

Anyone else had issues with trying to save United reservations to their calendar?

Thanks in advance

DEN

aacharya Feb 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by DEN (Post 20234760)
Whenever I try to save a United reservation in a .vcs file to Outlook, it wants to open another calendar and not save it to my regular one. I may I have a configuration issue but can't seem to sort it out. I don't know when the issue started, after 3/3 or when I upgraded to a new Outlook version, but this is a newer issue ( last year )

Anyone else had issues with trying to save United reservations to their calendar?

Thanks in advance

DEN

Same issue here - it started after Windows 7 (Outlook 2010) was installed at work. Before then it worked okay. It worked even better last year, when the whole trip was blocked out - now only the flights are blocked.

Duke777 Feb 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I have the same issue using Windows 7. Didn't exist a while ago.

AviatorAce Feb 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Same issue here too, I find that I have to go into the newly created calendar and drag it across to my regular calendar and then delete the newly added calendar. It really is a pain and not worth the hassle for me. I just make my own appointment and copy and past the information incase I ever need it.

DEN Feb 14, 2013 11:25 am

I went ahead and sent an email to United about this, we'll see if anything gets done to fix it if it's on their end. I did receive this response:

Dear DEN:

Thank you for contacting Customer Care and for being a loyal member of
MileagePlus since 1988.

We appreciate when our elite customers take the time to share comments
and suggestions. Feedback like yours presents opportunities to improve
or enhance our products and services.

I will be happy to forward your concerns with regards to the calendar
issue to our website administrators for their internal review and
necessary corrective actions.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a
future United Airlines flight.

Kind regards,

(Nice Person at United)
Corporate Customer Care
Case ID XXXXXXX

cordelli Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

The VCS file can not dictate which calendar it gets imported to (at least I don't believe it can), the file will be imported into your default calendar.

Check this page to make sure you have your calendar default set the way you expect it to be

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...1-9201ccbdce59

substitute Windows life for your default calendar

If it continues to be a problem try manually importing instead of double clicking, this way in Outlook 2010 you have a bit more control over where the file is going to go, given the choice of opening the file as a new calendar or importing into the current default (file, import export, vcs, locate the file, open as new or import)

On earlier versions, the account settings menu is under the tools menu.

DEN Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for the tips.....

I actually had gone to that same Microsoft page when I was trying to sort this all out. My settings seems to be correct but a new calendar is always created only when importing vcf files from United, others (Avis, Thrifty, Hilton etc) always work properly.

I have tried manually importing along with saving then importing with the same results.

I'll go back and read up more to see if I can determine if it is my own configuration causing me grief.

DEN

cdnwetzel Apr 19, 2013 9:16 am

any fix? same issue here

have reproduced this issue here also, one of my staff was having the issue and I was able to reproduce on my PC also, anything further from United suggesting a fix?

WineCountryUA Apr 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Welcome to FT!, cdnwetzel

Originally Posted by cdnwetzel (Post 20618074)
have reproduced this issue here also, one of my staff was having the issue and I was able to reproduce on my PC also, anything further from United suggesting a fix?

that's the way it works -- it opens a separate calendar. What I do is since both calendars display side by side, is move/drag the entries from the new calendar to my main calendar. And then delete the new calendar.
Extra step but now compatible for those with multiple calendars.

flyingnosh Apr 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Here's how you do this in Outlook 2010:

1. Download the vcs file from the United website and save it on disk somewhere.
2. In Outlook, choose File -> Open -> Import
3. Choose "Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar (.vcs) file"
4. Click "Next"
The file-open dialog appears
5. Select "vCalendar (.vcs)" format from the dropdown list
6. Select your vcs file
7. Click "OK"
8. Click "Import"
all done!

avi8tir Apr 19, 2013 1:41 pm

what a pain compared to how it used to be!

milepig Apr 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh (Post 20619505)

4. Click "Next"
6. Select your vcs file
7. Click "OK"
8. Click "Import"
all done!

Or, just click on your calendar and type it in!

WineCountryUA Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh (Post 20619505)

4. Click "Next"
6. Select your vcs file
7. Click "OK"
8. Click "Import"
all done!

huh?? That is overly complex

I just
1) click on the "export to calendar" on the itin.
2) When the pop-up appears "Do you want to open or save .....", select Open"
3) Outlook appears with side by side calendars and drag/drop the UA calendar entries to your calendar.
4) Delete the UA calendar (in Outlook).

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 20619600)
Or, just click on your calendar and type it in!

while my steps are still more complex than PMUA, it is easier than typing 2 or more flight segments

N1120A Apr 19, 2013 2:15 pm

They work great with Google Calendar

Plane-is-home Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm

I have the same issue with Outlook. My workaround is using the iPhone app add to calendar function instead of doing it on the PC and then the automatic iPhone to outlook synch takes care of it b