Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Old May 18, 2014, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No effect whatsoever.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:00 am

My personal experience was horrible...

Originally Posted by Hendo5698
How quickly are the upgrades processed? I have an upcoming flight with an 8 hour layover in FRA and wish to use a GPU when I arrive. Is it done at the gate or immediately when you request it if space is available?
Got to FRA on UA, immediately went to the connection LH counter to ask for the upgrades or to be listed. Two young agents looked at the paper UPG and did not know what to do. Finally we gave up and went to the lounge.
Took a nap in the dark room/very nice btw. After that, went to the lounge agent trying to upgrade, she processed one, and looked at the second. And told me that it had to be from an acct with the same name/my name.
The other 1K was right there, traveling with me, just in a different PNR.
She even made a call to get help.
Finally, we went to the gate, and the gate agent gave us the 2nd upg immediately, and shook her head when we told her about our saga.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Rumors resp. the 1K-desk of UA MP just told me today about the change, which they are expecting to come true in August 2014:
The GPU for use on Lufthansa will be issued as electronic certificates.
No use of papervouchers anymore. No mailing anymore.
Yippee!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Speak for yourself... last year I was 120K+ miles, almost half of which were on LH segments.

This is the only reason I was kept on UA vs. jumping ship to AA with their status match.
Agree. I am 4 of 4 on on LH upgrades using these coupons. Traveling mostly on U/H fares and on A380 routes (plenty of premium seats). Never seemed like I was getting the last seat, but I do make a point to run, not walk, to the LH lounge (not the Service Center) to request the upgrade during my connection - and have always been upgraded on the spot.

IMHO, while plenty to bicker about with the new UA, this is a great 1K benefit for those who have the need/option to fly LH
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
Rumors resp. the 1K-desk of UA MP just told me today about the change, which they are expecting to come true in August 2014:
Yippee!
Still transferrable (issuable in anothers name)? How will that work now? Hmm....

I can only hope you just provide a PNR and snap, the upgrade is waitlisted. What would be golden is if it could be an instantly confirmable upgrade but I will go back to dreaming...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I can only hope you just provide a PNR and snap, the upgrade is waitlisted. What would be golden is if it could be an instantly confirmable upgrade but I will go back to dreaming...
Thats exactly what LH M&M members can currently do with valid UA reservations: you enter all the data in a form, it checks if you have evouchers in the account and processes the upgrades if I/O is available to LH.

It looks like this: http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
If the GPUs in general were just made to be *A electronic upgrades that might be helpful! Maybe that's what will happen?

Also this will be great to make sure we are on the list when connecting in from remote stations! This will eliminate that huge problem as well as various interpretation of the rules... look forward to seeing the details.

Star Alliance needs to get its act together regarding consistency around award availability and processing.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I just booked flights on united.com for flights with lufthansa booked in d class. I requested gpu's today for those flights. Two questions I didn't see answered above.

1. Is there any issue with booking on united vs lufthansa.com?

2. When the gpu was requested she stated they must use the united code share number. Is there any issue with not having lufthansa flight numbers but having the united code share number?

Thanks in advance, flights are in less than 2 weeks so I would need to reissue or cancel flights ASAP.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hendo5698
I just booked flights on united.com for flights with lufthansa booked in d class. I requested gpu's today for those flights. Two questions I didn't see answered above.

1. Is there any issue with booking on united vs lufthansa.com?

2. When the gpu was requested she stated they must use the united code share number. Is there any issue with not having lufthansa flight numbers but having the united code share number?

Thanks in advance, flights are in less than 2 weeks so I would need to reissue or cancel flights ASAP.
no problem.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Star Alliance needs to get its act together regarding consistency around award availability and processing.
^+
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
Yippee!
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

Does the time of check-in/request help on these? I live near my airport so if i were to stop by at 24 hours before departure, would that help my cause, in the event of a tie breaker?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Does the time of check-in/request help on these? I live near my airport so if i were to stop by at 24 hours before departure, would that help my cause, in the event of a tie breaker?
Good luck with getting LH to check you in 24hrs before. I would just arrive 4 hrs before the flight.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I was curious of how many F seats Lufthansa will hold back for day of sale / upgrades that will not be released for award tickets. I have flights leaving Friday and Saturday, that are both F4. It will be for 2 pax. I know odds are not great for both clearing on both flights, just wondering if anyone knew what Lufthansa's pattern was for releasing seats for awards.

On a side note requested global upgrades on a Saturday and they arrived Tuesday, pretty fast turn around. I did also notice there is no date on the upgrades, just an expiration of Jan 31 2015. Is that normal? Glad that is the case if there are IRROPS.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:46 pm

LH doesn't hold back any seats, if it says F4, there are 4 seats to sell. F is not oversold as a rule, only on some routes they do it if they have sold A fares.

The voucher is good for any flight, the important thing is to have your name and some LH flight number on the voucher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.