Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1k
If this was previously asked in this thread I apologize. I'll be flying ADD-FRA on LH599, but it makes a 'stop' in JED. Would this require 2 GPU's or 1? Additionally how good are LH outstations at applying GPU's?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just 1 GPU, outstations are familiar with the process. Plenty of US Govt employed/contracted 1Ks flying the world using UA revenue share flights operated by LH metal have educated frontline staff at LH stations
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
When you present the paper voucher, the first they do is to check the expected loads and the amount catering that is planned to be loaded. If not, the gate or FM is called to check if additional catering and/or a request to the Purser on board to see if they can juggle things around is made. Arriving 3h before departure is certain overkill. At outstations they don't start checkin at that time.
Whatever. I know I didn't clear on FRA to the USA inside three hours, and was explicitly told by the FCL that it was because of catering.

Feel free to change the wikipost.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by janehoya
This is odd. Every time I requested for my husband they sent them FedEx 2nd day, even though I told them that travel wouldn't happen for at least a few weeks. Hopefully they will surprise you and do the same. If you didn't order them, I suggest calling back and specifically requesting that they overnight them. You are calling the Mileage Plus Service Center and not the 1K line, correct?
Thanks Jane. Will give that a try. Can't hurt. The flight from Africa to FRA is a red-eye so getting upgraded from FRA to SFO would be nice.

[Duplicate quote edited by Moderator.]

I have an M ticket and was told $900 (on a total roundtrip fare of $4,000) to use my upgrade. So much for that.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm Reason: Combine related posts of same member.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
When you present the paper voucher, the first they do is to check the expected loads and the amount catering that is planned to be loaded.
Had the same experience while checking in at BAH for BAH-DOH-FRA. Check-in agent had to get approval from the white phone. I was under 3 hours.

Arriving 3h before departure is certain overkill. At outstations they don't start checkin at that time.
Originally Posted by mre5765
Whatever. I know I didn't clear on FRA to the USA inside three hours, and was explicitly told by the FCL that it was because of catering.
My understanding was that over 3 hours ops can adjust the catering, but under 3 hours the appropriate catering has to already be in place. Maybe exceptions are made, but I have yet to see it.

Originally Posted by oblisk
If this was previously asked in this thread I apologize. I'll be flying ADD-FRA on LH599, but it makes a 'stop' in JED. Would this require 2 GPU's or 1? Additionally how good are LH outstations at applying GPU's?
One. I was worried about the outstations ability to apply GPU's, specifically BAH. No problem whatsoever.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; HTC One Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I was wondering what happens if they don't collect your certificate. Is it essentially a free upgrade?

I went to the counter at the train station to get added to the grading lost this morning, and they cleared me immediately. They said someone would collect the cert at the gate.

In the rush of boarding I completely forgot, and now I realize I still have the cert. Is this essentially an op-up?

As an aside, now I know why there is never space in business when I try to upgrade during a connection in FRA, if they are clearing people 4 hours early.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
I don't think it matters. When you get to your LH gate or the lounge they will work their magic. Not being checked in would probably just add another step to the process.
As an update - I wound up not clearing the D to F upgrade, because F was zeroed out the day before. They added me to the list at the ticket counter (I was changing planes at LAX), and apologized at the gate because there were no upgrades.

Greg
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Did they fill out the fields on the cert and mark it 'used'. If its still in original form without any marking you redeposit it onto your account.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Did they fill out the fields on the cert and mark it 'used'. If its still in original form without any marking you redeposit it onto your account.
They didn't mark it at all, just clipped it to my BP, so I'll return it when I get back to the US.

Greg
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; HTC One Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

They didn't make any make any markings on the cert. In fact I think they barely looked at it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:03 am

GPU cleared

Dulles -- checked in just over 2 hours prior to departure. Cleared at counter from Business to First, after agent took certificate to back-office for a review. Excellent first class product inflight and on-ground.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Lost paper upgrade

I asked for and received a paper upgrade form for a LH flight in May from FRA to IAD. I now cannot find the cert and both a UA 1K agent and a UA exec have told me that:

I can request a new cert taken from my stock of GPUs.
If I cannot find the paper GPU that is almost certainly lost (OK, it's my fault), there is nothing UA will do about it. They will not put the lost GPU back in my account after the flight unless I mail it back--and, of course, if I have lost it I cannot mail it back.

This is highway robbery. If they can issue a paper cert, they can void it. I was willing to wait until after the flight. But no, they said.

Anyone with different experiences? Or, alas, the same?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by euslaner
.... This is highway robbery. ....

....If they can issue a paper cert, they can void it. ...
If it was electronic they could void it but as a paper cert with no electronic trail -- it is the same as losing cash. LH depends on the piece of paper, not a electronic file to verify the upgrade cert.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is highway robbery.
Generally, it's not considered "highway robbery" when you lose something.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If it was electronic they could void it but as a paper cert with no electronic trail -- it is the same as losing cash. LH depends on the piece of paper, not a electronic file to verify the upgrade cert.
Meh. The certs are issued for particular flights now. LH can confirm that there was no upgrade applied for that flight. It's a far cry from cash.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
.... Meh. The certs are issued for particular flights now. LH can confirm that there was no upgrade applied for that flight. It's a far cry from cash.
It also has been reported you can use a "flight specific" cert on other LH flights. Ans suspect getting the info back from LH could be challenging. The cash analog is appropriate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-process.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.