Impact of US/AA merger to United fliers

Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
Impact of US/AA merger to United fliers

I have a booked US Air ticket for early March. I booked US to earn UA miles. If the merger goes through, does anyone know when flying US will no longer earn UA miles?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Yikes, I had completely forgotten about that. Recently booked multiple flights on US through May (some booked directly through UA and are codeshares). Wonder if we'll be offered alternative flights.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Your booked flights will 99% be safe for earning on MP.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If a US merger happens, and while i think it will at somepoint, its still a fairly big if, its not happening nearly that fast. Don't forget - the UA merger was announced in May 2010 and didn't close until a full five months later in October. Closing is the point where they can start sharing info, etc. and planning for what will happen next. Even if a merger was announced tomorrow, I highly doubt anything substantial will happen until 2014. And there will most certainly be an announcement on a structured US exit from *, what will happen to existing reservations, etc, much like there was when BMI left not too many months ago.

There's absolutely no reason to worry about a reservation for May.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I have unused credit from a US flight that I cancelled last October.

I guess it's time to use up the credit, as I'm planning to stay with UA and Star Alliance.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by surfguy7
I have a booked US Air ticket for early March. I booked US to earn UA miles. If the merger goes through, does anyone know when flying US will no longer earn UA miles?
Is this really a burning question already? The merger FAQ will certainly have this info. Will you still be on the flight if no mileage accrual?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Affect of US/AA merger on United fliers

With the US Air/AMR merger looking pretty certain lately, it's very possible *A will be down to just United from 3 domestic carriers just a few years ago. Being based at a US hub, this is going to severely limit my options if I want to continue flying *A. Anyone else planning changes due to the loss of US?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
With the US Air/AMR merger looking pretty certain lately, it's very possible *A will be down to just United from 3 domestic carriers just a few years ago. Being based at a US hub, this is going to severely limit my options if I want to continue flying *A. Anyone else planning changes due to the loss of US?
Even being in Philadelphia, I fly UA more often then US and thus why I have gone with a UA (1 of a couple reasons) MP account over USDM. This will stink especially in IRROPS situations when UA would often put me on the NS US flight over the 1 stop UA flight.

With every domestic hub but LAX (seasonal) and soon to be EWR being served it fits where I fly. I also drive up to EWR for some international flights so EWR is still in play.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Anyone else planning changes due to the loss of US?
I'm thinking hard about a status match over to the newly merged airline and finally pulling the ripcord on this UA mess. Being able to earn MP EQMs by flying US has been a huge benefit, and as I wrote SMI/J recently, during irrops US treats me with more speed and courtesy although I have no status/elite profile with US than UA does as a MP Plat. Assuming US leaves *A I think there's at east a 50/50 chance I will too.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
Bear, I think you should wait before you say that....there is a very good chance that AA/US will go through the same mess UA/CO is going through
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Eh, Continental hadn't even been in *A for a year when United completed its acquisition, so you barely had time to get used to having 3 domestic carriers in *A! (SkyTeam had DL, NW and CO for over five years, so the DL-NW merge and CO jumping ship disrupted a pretty established arrangement.)

Of the majors, only UA currently serves my town directly, but everybody serves the nearest "major" airport. I've got family around PHL, and work takes me to NYC a couple times a year, so EWR has been a good compromise... I don't know whether I'd want to change alliances for the sake of having JFK and PHL as hubs.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
What I think will be interesting is how UAdbaCO will handle all the flights from ORD to the southeast including Florida and further south. They tend to have 1 or 2 nonstops and the rest all seem to connect using USAir. Will they add more flights or just lose all these routes/passengers?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I guess I won't fly the DCA-LGA-DCA shuttles anymore. It will be IAD-LGA-IAD on the RJs. Forget about DCA-EWR....too far to NYC.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Bear, I think you should wait before you say that....there is a very good chance that AA/US will go through the same mess UA/CO is going through
Hopefully they have observed UA/CO and will learn the lessons without having to repeat them.

But then again, the way it's looking, it looks a lot like the UA/CO disaster. HQ at the bigger airline, run by the lesser airline's CEO/management, etc. US even uses SHARES!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
it is far too early to start talking about what will happen if us and aa merge. there is also the regulatory approval that is needed.

one of the biggest problems to come up will be the major reduction of flights into the southeast. ua would need to increase flying from iad to compensate for the loss of clt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.