Wiki Posts
Search

Refund credit from non refundable fare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Refund credit from non refundable fare

Good day all, I have been searching and can not quite seem to find an exact answer so here goes. I had to cancel a flight to LHR for reasons other than what would get me a refund waiver (K fare). So I got the email saying that while it is non refundable you will have the credit to use for future travel. There is no ecert code or anything in the email. How exactly do I tap into that credit, and does it all have to be used on one flight or can it be spread out for two different reservations (have a few domestic flights coming up).

First time in this situation, so just making sure I do not screw this up.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by millsdale
Good day all, I have been searching and can not quite seem to find an exact answer so here goes. I had to cancel a flight to LHR for reasons other than what would get me a refund waiver (K fare). So I got the email saying that while it is non refundable you will have the credit to use for future travel. There is no ecert code or anything in the email. How exactly do I tap into that credit, and does it all have to be used on one flight or can it be spread out for two different reservations (have a few domestic flights coming up).

First time in this situation, so just making sure I do not screw this up.
As far as I remember, you have to keep track of the original reservation number, and that's where the credit is (and call for your next reservation to claim it).

But I know that they use electronic vouchers these days too for some types of credit, because I got a small one recently for a fare reduction.

Maybe you could just call to check on the procedure these days..
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The key info to keep is the PNR id.

If properly cancelled, you have a suspended reservation and to use, you will access that reservation (online or by calling). You make the desired changes (even if a completely different itin), pay the cancellation change fee (new money) and apply the value of the original trip to the new trip. There may be a refund (provided as an ecert) or additional fee depending on the new itin.

All this must be done within one year of the date the original reservation was made.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If properly cancelled, you have a suspended reservation and to use, you will access that reservation (online or by calling). You make the desired changes (even if a completely different itin), pay the cancellation change fee (new money) and apply the value of the original trip to the new trip. There may be a refund (provided as an ecert) or additional fee depending on the new itin.

All this must be done within one year of the date the original reservation was made.
I just went through this process with a similar situation (using a cancelled nonref UA ticket). If you choose to do this online, you will find your old reservation under "Cancelled" or "Inactive" tabs on the Manage Reservations page. From there, you will change your itinerary (note: there appears to be restrictions on what you can change it to online. I wanted to apply the credit towards a mixed UA/partner itinerary and it would only list all-UA flights. YMMV) and the final payment page will reflect value of the original ticket, the cost of the new ticket, and the change fee (which is NOT deducted from the value of the old ticket).

If your new ticket costs less than the original ticket (ignoring the change fee), you are supposed to get it back as a credit (Code + PIN) that can be used online. NOTE: if you do the changes online, United will MAIL you (yes, SNAIL MAIL, not e-mail) a letter with the Code+PIN to use. If you do the changes via phone agent, the agent will just tell you over the phone the Code+PIN. If you are planning to use the remaining credit soon, you are better off going via phone agent.. but you may be subject to a booking charge for ticketing via phone. Something to keep in mind. Incredibly annoying, IMHO.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I just went through this process with a similar situation (using a cancelled nonref UA ticket). If you choose to do this online, you will find your old reservation under "Cancelled" or "Inactive" tabs on the Manage Reservations page. From there, you will change your itinerary (note: there appears to be restrictions on what you can change it to online. I wanted to apply the credit towards a mixed UA/partner itinerary and it would only list all-UA flights. YMMV) and the final payment page will reflect value of the original ticket, the cost of the new ticket, and the change fee (which is NOT deducted from the value of the old ticket).

If your new ticket costs less than the original ticket (ignoring the change fee), you are supposed to get it back as a credit (Code + PIN) that can be used online. NOTE: if you do the changes online, United will MAIL you (yes, SNAIL MAIL, not e-mail) a letter with the Code+PIN to use. If you do the changes via phone agent, the agent will just tell you over the phone the Code+PIN. If you are planning to use the remaining credit soon, you are better off going via phone agent.. but you may be subject to a booking charge for ticketing via phone. Something to keep in mind. Incredibly annoying, IMHO.
Last time I re-booked a canceled itin, I did it by phone. While he desired flights showed up online, when I selected the first segment, itt gave an error. Phone agent booked it no problem and no mention of a phone charge and was not charged anything beyond the $150 change fee.

Even of you change online , you can get the PIN number for the cert by calling and referencing the PNR of the itin you book - it is attached to there. Just note this is difficult, If not impossible, to retrieve after you have flown the itin - so make sure you call to get this before then.

As for the snail mailing - I did never understand a system that had to use old traditional mail for something that has to be used online. Can't they just email an ecert?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:51 pm

If 4 people are on the original PNR that is cancelled (total cost of 4 tickets $1500) and a new reservation is made for only 1 or 2 tickets (total cost $1500 or more) will the change fee only be $150 if 1 ticket purchased with credit? Or $300 if 2 tickets purchased with the credit from the original cancelled itinerary? Or will it cost $600 in change fees to use the $1500 credit regardless of the number of new tickets purchased? I also am not sure if the credits are transferable when obrtaining a new ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... Can't they just email an ecert?
Had a recent case of using a previous cancelled flight and was emailed (automatically) the ecert / pin. Interestingly the agent mentioned it would be postal mail but arrived as e-mail. I wasn't too anxious either way, it was sub-$10.

Originally Posted by Redeemed
If 4 people are on the original PNR that is cancelled (total cost of 4 tickets $1500) and a new reservation is made for only 1 or 2 tickets (total cost $1500 or more) will the change fee only be $150 if 1 ticket purchased with credit? Or $300 if 2 tickets purchased with the credit from the original cancelled itinerary? Or will it cost $600 in change fees to use the $1500 credit regardless of the number of new tickets purchased? I also am not sure if the credits are transferable when obtaining a new ticket.
if 4 people were on the original, the credit will be for those 4 folks individually only and there will be a change fee for each (4x change fees). The credit is not directly useable by anyone else.
If in re-booking there is any extra, the unused credit with be an ecert and that is transferable to anyone.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Thanks for the information, I would have never guessed that you go to the old PNR. I am about to book LAS this week, so it seems that it would deduct the cost of the vegas flight and leave me with ecert coming in the mail for the remaining 400 or so.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: MP Silver, HH
Help pls (Unable to Travel on Non-Refundable Ticket)

I purchased a RT from IAH-ATL with my MPE card, however I can not make the trip now. The ticket class was non refundable, how ever I would like to know is there any way I can go bat this perhaps get the credit for it.? Ay help would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2013 at 3:42 am Reason: thread title too vague
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:47 am

Nonrefundable tickets if cancelled before travel can be used as credit for future travel (but not refunded for cash) HOWEVER there will be a fee, typically $150 for domestic ticket, more for international tickets, to use that credit.

A valid medical reason for not traveling or a weather waiver (like the NE this past weekend) or a drastic change in schedule by the airlines are ways to get the cancel fee waiver or in some special cases truly refunded. But short of those special cases, it is credit for future flight with a change fee.

The use of a particular credit card makes not difference in the situation.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: MP Silver, HH
$150? Wow I actually payed $210 for the ticket !
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
You didn't purchase within 24 hours (sometimes honored if even close)? If so, you can cancel online with no penalty.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Daddyblitz
$150? Wow I actually payed $210 for the ticket !
Yes - non-refundable tickets are cheaper therefore the $150 change fee.

- If you purchased the ticket less than 24 hours ago - it can be refunded.
- If you purchased thr ticket more than 24 hours ago - you can cancel it and re-use the value of it after paying the $150 change fee.
- If you had a weather, medical, or other emergency - call and they may refund it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Don' t you think the $150 change few should be adjusted based on fare paid. A lower fare like $21O.00 change fee should be no more then $50.00. I know with a higher status your change few is lower. I know the airlines make a ton of money on change fees but if is done on line why is the cost so high.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Don' t you think the $150 change few should be adjusted based on fare paid. A lower fare like $21O.00 change fee should be no more then $50.00. I know with a higher status your change few is lower. I know the airlines make a ton of money on change fees but if is done on line why is the cost so high.
I personally would like this since I usually buy cheaper tickets, but then what would be the value in buying a changeable/refundable/flexible ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.