Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA January 2013 Financial/operational results vs. the competition

Old Feb 5, 13, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Interestingly UA just announced via a press-release its OT percentage (with the new padded schedule) rather than waiting for the traffic report (which has the financial results via PRASM numbers) in a few days.

Anyway, UA was OT 82.8% OT domestically, 80.5% internationally. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...150000405.html

Delta meanwhile put out its traffic report for January. PRASM +5.5%, load was up 1.9%, so yield was +3.6%, OT was 87.4%. http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewa...rtner=yahootix

UAL's PRASM number for January should be very telling about its loss (or gain ) of HVFers, and its interesting that they put out the OT number via a big press release without the PRASM number (which one can assume will not be so good).
Old Feb 5, 13, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they put this one out because they have something to brag about, they'll dump the likely poor financial performance friday at 4:30.
Old Feb 5, 13, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
United sees best January performance in 10 years

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,727003.story

By Gregory Karp
Tribune reporter
11:00 a.m. CST, February 5, 2013

"United Airlines, plagued in 2012 by delays and cancellations, said Tuesday that it had its best operational performance for January in 10 years.

The airline ended the month with an 82.8 percent domestic on-time arrival rate and an 80.5 percent international on-time rate. ***
The airline is rewarding eligible employees with a $100 on-time bonus."

[email protected]

---

Excellent news. Hopefully 2013 shows solid improvement for customers, employees, and the company as a whole.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 5, 13 at 9:52 pm Reason: To comply with FT Rules on quoting of copyrighted material.
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,727003.story

By Gregory Karp
Tribune reporter

By Gregory Karp
Tribune reporter

"United Airlines, plagued in 2012 by delays and cancellations, said Tuesday that it had its best operational performance for January in 10 years.

The airline ended the month with an 82.8 percent domestic on-time arrival rate and an 80.5 percent international on-time rate. ***
The airline is rewarding eligible employees with a $100 on-time bonus."

[email protected]

---

Excellent news. Hopefully 2013 shows solid improvement for customers, employees, and the company as a whole.
I don't know if I just have the opposite experience of most. In 2012 I had good experiences with UA when so many others were having issues. Now in 2013 things are looking better for on time performance. In 2013 so far I have had 1 cancelled flight, a 6 hour delay, a 2 hour delay causing a misconnect and losing my upgrade as a result. Obviously early in the year and hoping things get better soon.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 5, 13 at 9:53 pm Reason: Conforming edit re copyrighted material.
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Do the (perceived) low loads help? Fewer of those annoying passengers and over-entitled elites to board.
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is easy to increase your on time numbers when you cancel a whole day's worth of flights in any given market in advance of any storm, even when other cAArriers end up operating flights in that market just fine (albeit with delays).

Unless the figures above consider cancelled flights and not on time, that's what's going on here.
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, SPG Plat
Some of this mentioned here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mpetition.html
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:20 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
The airline is rewarding eligible employees with a $100 on-time bonus.

[email protected]
I hope UA is turning things around. The $100 reward for on-time departures, if it goes to GAs, may explain why the new boarding process is seemingly a circus in many locations, according to reports here in this Forum. Perhaps GAs are just jamming everyone onto the jetways to get them on the planes with the hopes that the flights will leave on time so they can earn a bonus?
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SAN 1K View Post
Do the (perceived) low loads help? Fewer of those annoying passengers and over-entitled elites to board.
Loads really aren't that low - I wish!
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:49 pm

No snow in the Northeast and little snow at ORD. How has DEN been?
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mkr View Post
I hope UA is turning things around. The $100 reward for on-time departures, if it goes to GAs, may explain why the new boarding process is seemingly a circus in many locations, according to reports here in this Forum.
It goes to all at the airport level at least, ramp and gate/counter. I don't know how far past there that it extends.
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mkr View Post
I hope UA is turning things around. The $100 reward for on-time departures, if it goes to GAs, may explain why the new boarding process is seemingly a circus in many locations, according to reports here in this Forum. Perhaps GAs are just jamming everyone onto the jetways to get them on the planes with the hopes that the flights will leave on time so they can earn a bonus?
The bonus is based on OT arrival numbers not OT departures.
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir View Post
If that's the case, wouldn't pilots factor into that bonus too?
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoping that on-time arrival rate starts to rub off on my personal travel with UA. I flew a fair bit during January and experienced 60% on-time arrival. The other flights were delayed between 2 to 4 hours.

On a positive note, the international flights were 100% on-time and (knock on wood) there were no cancellations. I had to laugh when one GA commented while printing a new BP... "you're smart to be on this first flight of the day, so at least this flight should be on time."
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:27 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir View Post
Does not the flight leaving on time factor into its on time arrival? Are you also stating that GAs who get the flights out on time do not share in the bonuses for on-time arrivals? Also, I read in another post that GAs have to spend extra time writing reports for why a flight may have left late, hence possible extra incentive to get those dawgies movin onto the jetway and into the cattle car.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: