Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA January 2013 Financial/operational results vs. the competition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA January 2013 Financial/operational results vs. the competition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
When I read the data, it occurred to me that the article might not be accurate as pmUA was leading the way in On Time Performance for about 18 months. It took a bit to go find the historical data.

UA On time Performance
January 2010 = 83.66%
January 2011 = 84.51%

CO On time Performance
January 2010 = 82.34%
January 2011 = 76.52%

UA/CO On time Performance
January 2012 = 82.18%

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ot_delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp?pn=1

Assuming I'm using this site correctly, the above numbers are what show up for the 3 previous January's.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by richk_30
When I read the data, it occurred to me that the article might not be accurate as pmUA was leading the way in On Time Performance for about 18 months. It took a bit to go find the historical data.

UA On time Performance
January 2010 = 83.66%
January 2011 = 84.51%

CO On time Performance
January 2010 = 82.34%
January 2011 = 76.52%

January 2012 = 82.18%

Assuming I'm using this site correctly, the above numbers are what show up for the 3 previous January's.
Perhaps the truth reads more like this?

COdbaUA has, this month, posted performance data that is better than CO ever posted in the last 10 years, after they padded the schedules so scheduled arrival time is always 20-40 minutes later than actual expected arrival time.

If you data is right, it seems to suggest that COdbaUA is still behind where UA was before they trashed it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
Originally Posted by edcho
If that's the case, wouldn't pilots factor into that bonus too?
Flight attendants get it. So I would assume pilots do, too, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
It is easy to increase your on time numbers when you cancel a whole day's worth of flights in any given market in advance of any storm, even when other cAArriers end up operating flights in that market just fine (albeit with delays).

Unless the figures above consider cancelled flights and not on time, that's what's going on here.
Assuming they're reporting the metrics using the same methodology used for DOT reports, cancelled flights are incorporated. So these are quite good numbers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Pad the schedules 15 minutes on both sides and that is what you get. I wonder how many customers had to suffer misconnects and Trips in Vain to achieve this false paradigm…

SunLover
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I am one of the victims of this wonderful performance - flight departed without waiting for the 10 of us who were on a delayed inbound. Got to the gate 5 minutes before departure time and it was too late

Many years ago, I was on a CO flight out of EWR. They were missing a meal in F. They closed the door and passed the food in from the cockpit window so they could make the stat look good.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Isn't OT rate on departures, not arrivals?

Padding helps arrivals, not departures.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From the DOT

How are flight delays calculated?

A flight is counted as "on time" if it operated less than 15 minutes later the scheduled time shown in the carriers' Computerized Reservations Systems (CRS). Arrival performance is based on arrival at the gate. Departure performance is based on departure from the gate.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
The sooner you leave the sooner you get there.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Perhaps the truth reads more like this?

COdbaUA has, this month, posted performance data that is better than CO ever posted in the last 10 years, after they padded the schedules so scheduled arrival time is always 20-40 minutes later than actual expected arrival time.

If you data is right, it seems to suggest that COdbaUA is still behind where UA was before they trashed it.
+1
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by richk_30

UA On time Performance
January 2010 = 83.66%
January 2011 = 84.51%

CO On time Performance
January 2010 = 82.34%
January 2011 = 76.52%

January 2012 = 82.18%

well UA's press release said: "the airline ended the month with an 82.8 percent domestic on-time arrival rate, and an 80.5 percent international on-time rate, resulting in the best combined domestic and international performance for the month in 10 years. The on-time arrival rates are based on flights arriving within 14 minutes of scheduled arrival time." [my bolding]

I find these figures to be hard to reconcile, unless the figures you have from BTS (part of DOT) are something other than OT arrivals. They say "last 10 years" and "combined" so they would have to be merging the CO and UA numbers, but

Note that running a search here for January 2012: http://apps.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummar...ryDataDisp.xml Shows that 16.57% of UAs flights were late.

either way that number, or the number you quoted for January 2012 would appear to be more OT than what UA just reported.

I would be curious what the basis for the claim is (and also curious what UA says about its financial performance in January, now that we know that if 20% of your flights are late in arriving by 15 minutes or longer you are running a GREAT AIRLINE!

But then perhaps this is the new business plan. Invent low thresholds and then hype them. For example "GF food recently voted best in blind taste test against a large institution in Joliette!!!" "UAL Recently ranked higher in customer service then the DMV!!!" "Voted best network by CEOs of Illinois based airlines for two years running!"

Last edited by spin88; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mkr
I hope UA is turning things around. The $100 reward for on-time departures, if it goes to GAs, may explain why the new boarding process is seemingly a circus in many locations, according to reports here in this Forum. Perhaps GAs are just jamming everyone onto the jetways to get them on the planes with the hopes that the flights will leave on time so they can earn a bonus?
That bonus is not new (its been around for a couple of years on the pmUA side at least)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Beerman92
That bonus is not new (its been around for a couple of years on the pmUA side at least)
The methodology has changed, though. They used to have to outperform some competitors. Now they just have to be > 80% on time.

Even one of the analysts in the last call picked up on it. CO was hyping meeting their performance target and paying out bonuses, and one analyst questioned whether they thought they had to be better than the competition, or just better than 80%.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:50 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by SunLover
Pad the schedules 15 minutes on both sides and that is what you get. I wonder how many customers had to suffer misconnects and Trips in Vain to achieve this false paradigm…
How does padding the schedule by 15-30 minutes increase the chance of misconnects or trips in vain? Given the same actual timing, a padded schedule would reduce those things, as it would remove some previously legal tight connections.

One thing I still see is insanely short turn-around times. My regular DAY-ORD flight departs at 3:17pm. The inbound aircraft arrives from DEN at 2:47pm. This is hardly an extreme example; I have frequently seen scheduled turn-around times of about 20 minutes. Of course a highly padded flight time can enable an impossibly short turn-around time.

It seems that a good fraction of my flights are "Delayed - Awaiting inbound aircraft" for an on-time inbound aircraft.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
One thing I still see is insanely short turn-around times. My regular DAY-ORD flight departs at 3:17pm. The inbound aircraft arrives from DEN at 2:47pm. This is hardly an extreme example; I have frequently seen scheduled turn-around times of about 20 minutes. Of course a highly padded flight time can enable an impossibly short turn-around time.
That's a CO specialty. Padding schedules DOES help though, especially for connectors; and I don't have a problem with them doing that, as long as its not egregious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.