Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Access to Lufthansa lounge in Boston as a domestic itinerary *G

Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Has anyone had any experience getting access to the Lufthansa lounge in BOS with a domestic itinerary as a Star Gold? (Mine was on United, same day.)
I tried to gain entry, and was told that they only allow access to Star Gold members traveling on a Lufthansa or Swiss flight.
This, of course, is not what the Star Alliance Lounge Finder says. It says I should have access to the lounge, per Star Alliance policy. Has anyone had success getting in in the past? It's in the international terminal, so I'm guessing few people have tried, but I figured I'd ask anyways.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I accessed this Lounge 2 years ago. The lounge agent told me the same thing, but ultimately she let me in. Granted it was still early in the day and the Lounge was empty.
She actually questioned me about how I had gotten to the International Terminal on a Domestic boarding pass.

I tried to access the Lounge last week while I was in Boston. Even though, both Lufthansa and Star Alliance apps, showed that the lounge opens at 12.30pm, the actual opening time was 1.30pm. I didn't have enough time to wait, so I went to the United Lounge.

I would assume that they should let you in, since the lounges in Detroit and Washington don't seem to have a problem with it. Unless they are more restrictive because the Senator Lounge is closed due to construction above that Lounge.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA1K
are you able to get access with a UC membership?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
IIRC the LH lounge in BOS is inside Terminal E security.

UA operates from Terminal A and Terminal C.

The terminals are not connected inside security.

How did you access Terminal E with a UA BP?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by warreng24

yeah, this is kind of disturbing
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How is it kind of disturbing? The passenger still had to put up with the TSA screening dog and pony show. This wouldn't be materially any different for me than when using a refundable/changeable ticket to enter a terminal after being cleared by TSA screeners.

I have used UA boarding passes at this BOS terminal E. TSA airport screeners are more interested in boarding pass's city of origin, date of travel and, most particularly, names and photo ID than terminal, airline code or airline operator. This is true even of most of those other major US airports that have segregated terminals without airside passenger transit paths to all other terminals.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I usually go through security by the Southwest gates and tell them that I am using the Lounge. Never had an issue.
Last week the TSA agent even said "Oh you are going to use the Lounge" before opening my mouth, therefore there must be more people doing it.

Not like in Los Angeles at Terminal 2 where I was denied access even though I had gone through the week before with an United BP.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warreng24

I used a mobile phone boarding pass, so maybe the scanner doesn't show origin and destination very clearly. I had no problems presenting a driver's license instead of a passport.
Since they try to keep everyone but LH and LX pax out of the lounge, I'm guessing it happens often enough.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I found the LH lounge at BOS to be an over crowded dump.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
I found the LH lounge at BOS to be an over crowded dump.
Yeah, it looked pretty small -- although I only saw it by peeking in from the outside .

It was also interesting that they were sending business class passengers to the Air France lounge while they were remodeling. They must have a deal with AF to help with their capacity problem.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nickab
Has anyone had any experience getting access to the Lufthansa lounge in BOS with a domestic itinerary as a Star Gold? (Mine was on United, same day.)
I tried to gain entry, and was told that they only allow access to Star Gold members traveling on a Lufthansa or Swiss flight.
This, of course, is not what the Star Alliance Lounge Finder says. It says I should have access to the lounge, per Star Alliance policy. Has anyone had success getting in in the past? It's in the international terminal, so I'm guessing few people have tried, but I figured I'd ask anyways.
Isn't it better/easier to just go to the lounges at A or C terminal? The LH lounge is cramped and not that good anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbarreto
Isn't it better/easier to just go to the lounges at A or C terminal? The LH lounge is cramped and not that good anyway.
I was traveling on a domestic itinerary and I don't have a UC membership, so I don't think I was eligible to get into any of the lounges in those terminals.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nickab
I was traveling on a domestic itinerary and I don't have a UC membership, so I don't think I was eligible to get into any of the lounges in those terminals.
Ah. Understood.

In any case, I don't think you've missed much. It's cramped and not good, def not on par with other LH lounges. Las time I was there, no one was in the reception desk. Pax were just coming and going as they pleased!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: US PP
I was just at the LH lounge on Friday. I was in F on the US shuttle, and I didn't have the physical *G card, although I also had my US Club card as a back up to use the business lounge.

TSA only checked off the date, my name, and the origin, and I even saw LH *S using the F/J access lane...

Lounge dragon initially didn't see *G on my BP, but its hidden now as STAR GOLD on the awful new US BPs. *G gets Senator Lounge access, which had a decent amount of food. Kinda small, I would say about the size of the UA A Lounge.

Access to the LH Business lounge is done at the Senator Lounge entrance first which is odd.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Originally Posted by tank089
I was just at the LH lounge on Friday. I was in F on the US shuttle, and I didn't have the physical *G card, although I also had my US Club card as a back up to use the business lounge.

TSA only checked off the date, my name, and the origin, and I even saw LH *S using the F/J access lane...

Lounge dragon initially didn't see *G on my BP, but its hidden now as STAR GOLD on the awful new US BPs. *G gets Senator Lounge access, which had a decent amount of food. Kinda small, I would say about the size of the UA A Lounge.

Access to the LH Business lounge is done at the Senator Lounge entrance first which is odd.
Awesome! I will definitely check this out next time I arrive at BOS early (not that I usually do...). The United Club in Terminal C really isn't great...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.