Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...and just another milestone update here, Sunday night's UA1748 JFK-SFO on #5355 was the last scheduled flight of the previous p.s. configuration.

As of today [2 December 2013], all p.s. flights on JFK-LAX/SFO are scheduled with the new configuration.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:41 pm

I just managed to get an exceptionally nice UA customer service rep change flights in April from JFK to SFO for my wife, daughter and I to the new equipment based on the seat map for no change fee. Took three tries to do this. Upgrades cleared too!

Now let's hope there aren't last minute swaps!!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grmaht
I just managed to get an exceptionally nice UA customer service rep change flights in April from JFK to SFO for my wife, daughter and I to the new equipment based on the seat map for no change fee. Took three tries to do this. Upgrades cleared too!

Now let's hope there aren't last minute swaps!!
They will have like 1 or 2 aircraft at that time for some two dozen daily flights. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
another mileage run booked - to SFo via LAX from JFK - on old config 9A then back that nite from SFO-JFk new config 1B Used x2 Globals - low booking class aND SINCE ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO USE GLOBALS FROM au-usa AND V.V Ive burnt 4 Globals this week for these mileage runs still 2 left and 3 regionals save them for another tip in july-septemeber on a LH/LX Global Combo fare in C so I can upg longhaul to F
Go United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by Ari
They will have like 1 or 2 aircraft at that time for some two dozen daily flights. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Good chance of getting the 757-200 pmCO 16BF config which is basically the same seat at least .

If I got the 757 with the recliners than I'd be choked... As long as I get the P.S. config or the pmCO, I am happy!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Spiritually, no first class seems uncompetitive with AA's new A321 cabin.

In real life I haven't flown LAX or SFO-JFK since 2002 when I still lived in LA and that was on an old even then 767-200 though I did like the anti-social seat in the back right side of Business and the center single seats in First.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:51 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by u600213
Spiritually, no first class seems uncompetitive with AA's new A321 cabin.
In every sense it is uncompetitive; the problem is that UA thinks it wouldn't be profitable to run F on that route. Perhaps they are correct.

AA chose to make a transcon F hard product that is worth paying a premium for over J; they also have Flagship Check-In. I have a hunch that their F operation in this market will be profitable.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Continental
same here

Originally Posted by gregas
Both my July and December flights have changed to new config. We are in 1AB on all legs. Hopefully, in a swap to old config, we'll keep 1AB.

G
I had 1B for a flight on the new config in March, but with an ac change it kicked me back to business class.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I hope they "reconfigure" the food service to something of PS quality.

DL and AA's service surpass UAs. No cookies or fruit and cheese on UA, and only one red/white wine in biz? The cuts are making them uncompetitive from a soft product standpoint
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by demkr
I hope they "reconfigure" the food service to something of PS quality.

DL and AA's service surpass UAs. No cookies or fruit and cheese on UA, and only one red/white wine in biz? The cuts are making them uncompetitive from a soft product standpoint
There really is no element of the newly proposed PS service that can be considered premium when compared to United itself, or their competitors. To continue to brand it as Premium Service just shows how far out of touch the current UA management team is.

Now if they keep the free flowing champaign in J that is a different story...

SunLover
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
There really is no element of the newly proposed PS service that can be considered premium when compared to United itself, or their competitors. To continue to brand it as Premium Service just shows how far out of touch the current UA management team is.

SunLover
With the seats becoming the same as a few of the flights out of EWR, I wonder how many people will think that the soft product and the JFK vs EWR preferences will be worth the rather steep fare difference.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SunLover

SunLover
Everytime I've been on p.s. in the past 6 months, they've run out of champagne. They stopped catering 4-5 full bottles of sparkling wine months ago, and now just provision a couple of those mini bottles of sparkling wine. The same you can buy in coach on certain int'l flights. usually doesn't go far.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Just flew JFKLAX on PS in First on award travel.. it was amongst the worst flights I have ever experienced. It's as if the food was gathered from Denny's leftovers and shoved into the airline catering carts, then slopped one more time from the cart to a plate and set before the passengers.

I am guessing that UA thinks they have so much market share that they will just do whatever works best for the bean counter in chicago, houston or wherever he/she is and then focus on their own bonus for saving an extra dollar per flight for the airline.

When asking a flight attendant about the food quality future, she simply said, "Yeah it's bad.. I dunno.. I won't eat airline food."

What happened? How in the world would a passenger spend as much on a rev F seat transcon when the service and food alone has declined to the lowest I've ever seen.

I don't care if you fly me in a king size bed suite in an upgraded refit of the the PS cabin, a trip on greyhound bus could be an improvement.

Very sad.

p.s. - pardon the pun...the ground staff at JFK are all still outstanding pros.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Just flew JFKLAX on PS in First on award travel.. it was amongst the worst flights I have ever experienced. It's as if the food was gathered from Denny's leftovers and shoved into the airline catering carts, then slopped one more time from the cart to a plate and set before the passengers.

I am guessing that UA thinks they have so much market share that they will just do whatever works best for the bean counter in chicago, houston or wherever he/she is and then focus on their own bonus for saving an extra dollar per flight for the airline.

When asking a flight attendant about the food quality future, she simply said, "Yeah it's bad.. I dunno.. I won't eat airline food."

What happened? How in the world would a passenger spend as much on a rev F seat transcon when the service and food alone has declined to the lowest I've ever seen.

I don't care if you fly me in a king size bed suite in an upgraded refit of the the PS cabin, a trip on greyhound bus could be an improvement.

Very sad.

OK Lets face it C food is crap! Try SQ C A380 from SIN-SYDin those revolting wide but short C flatsofas - you will be served Koon Cheese and Jatz crackers still wrapped in plastic on Givenchy plates - big deal! Try LH C A380 from SFO-FRA and you will get a cafeteria tray packed with crappy goodies -used to also get the same thing in C to TLV from MUC/FRA(now its A321 and no chance to even recline to Tel Aviv ) Swiss still do reasonable C and F food to/from TLV and JFK - United doesnt quite do LX C or F but I think they are up there!Now why dont you try qantas food in biz class in Australia domestically then you will know slops! Dont mind PS food salads greens prawns ( I dont eat seafood so give them away to my seat companions in row) and the free flowing booze at all!! Have you done BizFirst EWR int or domestically on flatbeds in 757 or 767 - now thats CO food and that sucks -they are also very stingy with the vino coz theyve still got that CO mentality -just like EWR with the Continental signs up everywhere - from hangars to lounges to .... Al least Houston moved with the times! And youve got to luv TSA preapproval at IAH! Dont get that at EWR So please stop bagging PS - its pretty world class unless youyr a mororn and fly in F (unless its a redemption ticket so u cant downgrade)
Just my $1's worth!
And I agree totally JFK (AND LAX) ground staff are fantasic and remember you and come up and say hello months after seeeing you! when flying F and also C on PS Now try that at SFO -better airport but crappy rude staff at checkin lounges the only reasons to fly thru SFO are ; SQ SilverKris lounge for showers, good TSA staff at Int Terminal, easier to get downtown on BARTfor a bit of shopping on a mileage run daytrip fro JFK
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:04 am

It's been that way since about 2008 when First was downgraded to be essentially the Business class meal.

Word is they will do a refresh of PS food in 4Q when the reconfigs are complete.

They better see the standard Delta has set on this route if they want to get away with a successful 2 cabin product.

Very sad.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
when the service and food alone has declined to the lowest I've ever seen.
I'm going to guess you were on a breakfast flight since you were going westbound. I could have my dates slightly off but I don't think that menu has rotated since 2008 (slight change in the breads). We hit bottom a long time ago.

You know what you're going to get ("eggs", french toast, or cereal). I take this flight often and I generally just bring on board (as I do with almost every domestic flight in the US, on every airline) and grab a bowl of fruit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.