FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Flights to London This Week (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1433453-flights-london-week.html)

Rogerdodger Jan 30, 13 11:30 am

Flights to London This Week

I have a flight to LHR coming up and wanted to check the loads this week.
SFO/IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH flights were incredibly empty...I mean hundreds of seats on each flight. Even some empty seats in J. I was just curious if they fired the whole revenue team. Why not offer some sales...maybe I missed it!

I know it's winter but geez...

FlyWorld Jan 30, 13 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Rogerdodger (Post 20153570)
I have a flight to LHR coming up and wanted to check the loads this week.
SFO/IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH flights were incredibly empty...I mean hundreds of seats on each flight. Even some empty seats in J. I was just curious if they fired the whole revenue team. Why not offer some sales...maybe I missed it!

I know it's winter but geez...

They fired the customers.

Rogerdodger Jan 30, 13 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20153586)

Funny!

vandesa Jan 30, 13 11:38 am

I did notice a few flights that they have substituted a 767 for the 777.

I did not look what config the 767 was. Do 767 have biz first lie-flat?

txp Jan 30, 13 11:43 am

I agree. It does look REALLY bad. Is this a sign of Chapter 11 ahead?

Richym99 Jan 30, 13 11:46 am

It's blowing a gale, torrential rain, freezing temps at night, a huge number of flood warnings and still snowing in the North of the country.

Who in the right mind would want to come to the UK in the next couple of weeks.

Rogerdodger Jan 30, 13 11:46 am

Originally Posted by txp (Post 20153656)
I agree. It does look REALLY bad. Is this a sign of Chapter 11 ahead?

Ok, I wasn't going there...just that people were asleep at the switch.

Originally Posted by Richym99 (Post 20153693)
It's blowing a gale, torrential rain, freezing temps at night, a huge number of flood warnings and still snowing in the North of the country.

Who in the right mind would want to come to the UK in the next couple of weeks.

Business?

halls120 Jan 30, 13 11:52 am

it is winter, and loads are usually lighter. That said, I'm currently planning a TATL trip in late February that requires a European connection onward to Africa. When I took similar trips in 2012, IAD-BRU and IAD-FRA were the flights that invariably popped up. Now, the IAD-LHR flights are the first to appear, which is a change from last year.

Post Olympics letdown?

FlyWorld Jan 30, 13 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Rogerdodger (Post 20153702)
Business?

Exactly. Or, family. Or, transiting for a winter holiday to the alps.

It's great to fly to Europe on business during low season. Lower fares. Better UG odds. Fewer crowds. Easy restaurant reservations. Easy to find good accommodation. That's presumably why many business conferences are held during low/shoulder season in their destinations.

lindaiah Jan 30, 13 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by vandesa (Post 20153624)
I did notice a few flights that they have substituted a 767 for the 777.

I did not look what config the 767 was. Do 767 have biz first lie-flat?

Yes, it does (the one from IAH-LHR, anyway).
I'm on a 764 IAH-LHR in a few weeks that was switched from the 787. If it didn't have the lie-flat seats I would have tried to switch to the later flight on the 777.

as219 Jan 30, 13 12:59 pm

Funny, I'm flying to London next week as well, and FWIW, it's the same story over at AA -- empty planes.

This is the traditional low season for US-UK travel, you know...

gdenny Jan 30, 13 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20153586)

AWESOME retort!!

Rogerdodger Jan 30, 13 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 20154212)
Funny, I'm flying to London next week as well, and FWIW, it's the same story over at AA -- empty planes.

This is the traditional low season for US-UK travel, you know...

Low Season? I just checked again today...literally every plane is half empty. I'll say it again, why not offer a sale?

Duke777 Jan 30, 13 1:32 pm

I've been looking for President's Day Weekend. Flights are EMPTY. However, at nearly $900, I'm not exactly thrilled to fork over that kind of money for an open 9 abreast row of economy plus.

UA should pull a TK and offer some $400 flights to Europe. That will fill the planes in a hurry. Otherwise, that's an awful lot of empty seats over the pond.

TonyBurr Jan 30, 13 1:59 pm

They have not lowered the fares to attract any last minute business.