Flights to London This Week

Old Jan 30, 13, 2:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Flights to London This Week

Flying lhr-ord tommorrow on a 767, pretty empty, i hope the seat next to me stays free!
Old Jan 30, 13, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rogerdodger View Post
Low Season? I just checked again today...literally every plane is half empty. I'll say it again, why not offer a sale?
Not sure if this counts, but on AA at least, these $874 r/t fares can be had day-of travel. That's pretty good.

Hard to say why they don't discount fares more deeply, other than I haven't seen UA have a truly decent TATL sale in years.
Old Jan 30, 13, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
Not sure if this counts, but on AA at least, these $874 r/t fares can be had day-of travel. That's pretty good.

Hard to say why they don't discount fares more deeply, other than I haven't seen UA have a truly decent TATL sale in years.
I was thinking 500-600 RT W/ 7 days notice...would be smart, But apparently United doesn't need the money...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 31, 13 at 8:34 am Reason: fix html
Old Jan 30, 13, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post
UA should pull a TK and offer some $400 flights to Europe. That will fill the planes in a hurry. Otherwise, that's an awful lot of empty seats over the pond.
After taxes are paid on the round trip, not sure how much revenue yield if any is remaining on a $400 fare. Probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

I booked a $550 round trip IAD-LHR in 2009 around valentines day weekend, the return was on presidents day monday...I think the economy cabin had 30 pax IIRC.
Old Jan 30, 13, 2:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
This happens every year, in my experience. LAst year I flew my daughter home LHR-SFO-LHR and it was around $650 if I recall correctly. And my wifes last minute flight GEG-SFO-GEG was almost the same price. It was funny if it weren't so pathetic.

But in the last 3-4 years whenever Ive flown there in January it has been cheap and empty...
Old Jan 30, 13, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Flew EWR-LHR-EWR in early March 2 years ago. Both flights were pretty empty. Both flight I had 21A and was the only pax. in either row 20 and 21.

Taxes are high in the UK; most of the AI price this time of year is likely taxes and fees.

SunLover
Old Jan 30, 13, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
This is the ultra low season for air travel so this is no surprise. Not only that, but the LHR slots are use or lose, so mass consolidation of flights is not an option.

What surprises me is that they don't downgauge more aggressively. Use this period to do all the heavy maintenance on 747s, for example, but keep the 767s running. Then swap them around at busier times. Cut FRA more aggressively and use the LH, SN and SK feed ex LHR for connections. At weekends lend some slots to LX for ski flights.

UA does no visible marketing in the UK, relying instead on undercutting BA and VS. but UA is currently charging more than US and DL on UA's nonstop routes. Why not match?

I agree that business is bad at this time of year but I see little evidence that UA is managing the situation.
Old Jan 30, 13, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
FRA flights are also pretty empty.
Old Jan 30, 13, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Most of these flights operate daily, maybe especially during this slower time of the year reduce frequency to consoldiate traffic. Tuesday and Wednesday are especially light days.
Old Jan 30, 13, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
UA flights are empty because people are flying on AA instead! Loads to/from LHR have been pretty high on AA this past week, especially in premium class cabin. I believe there is a separate thread about UA losing its premium passengers to the competition.

AA seems to better manage their flights during the winter season to/from LHR as they have a revenue-sharing relationship with BA on flights to/from LHR and will reduce capacity during the winter season, rather than fly empty.
Old Jan 30, 13, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by fivesixseven View Post
FRA flights are also pretty empty.
I can vouch for that. There was maybe 40 people in economy and only 5 in economy plus a couple weeks ago.
Old Jan 30, 13, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I flew to CDG on Ground Hog's Day (February2) a couple years ago and there was only about one person per row in economy. On a 777. It is definitely a slow time to go to Europe. Flights to GIG and GRU are pretty full right now, though. At least from Houston.
Old Jan 30, 13, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
They fired the customers.
That's NOT a change that Jeffy will like!
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Flying IAH to LHR in 2 weeks and the plane is 1/2 full.

I take it back; the plane is 1/2 empty.
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
They fired the customers.
Seems like it, don't it. Maybe they can fill the plane with some of those pesky EWR agents, I wouldn't miss 'em...

Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
I did notice a few flights that they have substituted a 767 for the 777.

I did not look what config the 767 was. Do 767 have biz first lie-flat?
Doesn't matter. At that load factor either one would have lie flat seating in the back of bus as well, somewhere around mid-30s/low 49s D/E/F. Given that, TODs should go for $149

Search this Thread
Search Engine: