Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: Skywest removes passengers for weight restrictions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this before: Skywest removes passengers for weight restrictions.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eagle007
Ok, so what are passengers' rights here? the IDB is ok, but what do you get for it? and is it better to volunteer? or the same (I use the rule of thumb that it is almost never better to volunteer if you're optimizing on comp).
On <=60 seaters, you're better off VDB than IDB if you're going to be DB.
VDB is whatever you can negotiate (voucher, upgrade on new flight, etc), IDB is the next available seat only with no required compensation.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TimeToEarnMiles
The bag thing was unprofessional. Just IDB someone.
You make it sound so easy. And it is, PRIOR to boarding.

But once a guy is in his seat, how do you tell him that he was the last to check-in and thus is the first to get IDB'ed? I would argue that he can passively sit there as long as he wants! What are they going to do, call the cops to have him forcibly removed?

It's been a long running discussion on FT about once you are in your seat, and the FA/GA wants to move you (for whatever reason) -- what happens.

If I'm in a seat, and I have a BP saying that's my seat..... are they going to arrest you?

(OK, in reality, if they offered me $250, I'd be off the plane in an instant.... but that's just me.)

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I was on a Skywest flight about a week and a half a go that had a balance issue. I heard them talking about possibly removing a person from the flight if they couldn't get things balanced. They moved checked bags to the few empty window seat and that solved the issue.
Are you sure they didn't bring gate checked bags into the cabin? I've been on RJ's where they strapped gate checked bags into seats.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Curious what will actually happen with 757s crews as they are phased out, seens like a downgrade.
When they are bumped off the aircraft that is being reduced, they can displace to any other seat/airplane that their seniority can hold even if that means bumping a more junior pilot out of that seat/airplane.

Originally Posted by eflyte
I can understand weight and balance issues, but do I understand right that they needed 7 pax to disembark? That's crazy, more than 10%. Can they really be that far over/off?
No airplane can carry full fuel, full seats, and full cargo bays. It's always a compromise.

The 50-seat jets have additional challenges as their fuselage size is too small to allow for belly cargo holds so all of the bags and cargo go in the back leaving no flexibility in loading to manage the balance forward/aft. They were also designed before the FAA increased the average passenger weight that is used in the weight calculations. When each passengers "weighed" 170 pounds it was a lot easier to fill all 50 seats than it is now that they "weigh" about 195 pounds.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mduell
United. United picked the equipment, fares, and loads and pays the DB compensation.
Thanks. One more question. Who determines whether compensation is paid? Is that something that has to be authorized by a United employee, or can a UX employee do so?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by LarryJ
When each passengers "weighed" 170 pounds it was a lot easier to fill all 50 seats
Plus a jumpseat, plus an alternate.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
They just asked for 7 volunteers from our ORD-SLC CRJ-700 due to weight issues. $200 voucher, hotel, and a confirmed flight in the morning on AA. About 30 seconds after calling for volunteers (and w no indication that anyone was moving to take the offer) they started boarding. No idea how they are handling this back at the gate, but I'm sure happy to be boarding with group 1.

Captain says they had to load extra fuel in case we needed to divert to an alternate airport given the low ceiling conditions at SLC.

Update - the obvious solution was used - they boarded everyone and then came through and booted the last people who checked in.

Last edited by eflyte; Feb 6, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thanks. One more question. Who determines whether compensation is paid? Is that something that has to be authorized by a United employee, or can a UX employee do so?
UX employee can follow the UA policy for compensation.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Captain says they had to load extra fuel in case we needed to divert to an alternate airport given the low ceiling conditions at SLC.
The usual alternates in N. UT, and Idaho, and SLC itself have been pretty bad all day. I wouldn't surprise me if they had to start to using GJT, and SGU as the evening rolled in.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Update - the obvious solution was used - they boarded everyone and then came through and booted the last people who checked in.
last that checked in? does having status exempt you?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
last that checked in? does having status exempt you?
No, status does not help. I flew with my work colleague recently, who is MP Gold. He was last to check-in on the flight, and was going to get booted. I stepped in, and said I would get booted instead, thinking that as a 1K I'd get better re-routing service. Once I did that, they started offering compensation to other passengers to take a later flight instead. Someone took them up on the offer, and we ended up both flying together on the flight.

Lesson: If you must make a flight, ALWAYS CHECK-IN EARLY!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
For the same reason WN adds 737 instead of buying airbii (is that plural of airbus?)
OT but this is a pet peeve of mine. Airbus is air+bus. Last time I checked, bii is not the plural of bus, so I don't know where people get the idea that the plural for airbus should be airbii.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:02 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Antipode
OT but this is a pet peeve of mine. Airbus is air+bus. Last time I checked, bii is not the plural of bus, so I don't know where people get the idea that the plural for airbus should be airbii.
'Cause it sounds cool and we are rebels to the rules of grammar!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Vindictive Skywest Customer Service agent in LAX? Anyone know how to read log files?

Hi all

Does anyone know how to read United log files?

This is a new issue related to this post
Skywest removes passengers

1. Summary of above link: On Jan 26, JAC-LAX initial flight to reach connection in LAX, the flight was delayed due to overbooking. Flight attendants requested that people volunteer to de-board due to weight issues. When not enough people de-boarded, bags were rolled to the window and flight attendants THREATENED to remove people's bags so that weight levels could be met. This took over an hour. Because of these antics, I missed my connecting flight at 6:15pm on a SATURDAY night. I was trying to get home to my family for SATURDAY night and the next UA flight was at 10:30pm.

New info:

2. At LAX customer service after missing the original connecting flight: I requested that I be put on a different carrier. Sky West Agent in LAX processed a new ticket and printed it. The agent was about to hand it to me when the SkyWest supervisor decided to interfere and she ripped it up. Upon questioning, she said they were not authorized to issue me a ticket on a different carrier and that I could go discuss with "main line" United customer service in another terminal. The supervisor was rude and unprofessional and we got into a verbal exchange that is not of the kind I expect to receive from a CSR supervisor.

3. I went to main line Customer service in terminal 7 and they processed a new a ticket for me on AA ASAP. They told me to hurry because AA flight 1807 departed at 755P - I only had an hour to check-in etc. I RAN to AA terminal 4 and when I arrived at the check-in desk 15 mins later, not only was I drenched in sweat, I was told my ticket had been cancelled. Baffled, AA called United ticketing and they informed that the new, second ticket was indeed issued but "someone" went into the system and cancelled the ticket. I think it was the original SkyWest agent.

4. I was then forced to either run back to the United terminal or call the premier line. I called the premier line, reached an agent and then was placed on HOLD repeatedly while they tried to contact a premier line supervisor. All the while, the AA agent waited for a new ticket to come through. I was placed on hold by UA premier for 30 minutes while United supervisors tried to sort the situation out. Eventually the phone agent was able to process a third, new ticket. Luckily the AA flight had been delayed by 15 minutes - that only left me with 35 minutes to make it through security. I reached the AA flight counter only to find out the door had been closed and I missed that flight. Argh-frustrating.

5. I went back to the United terminal and United main line customer service to ask a supervisor what had happened to the second ticket. I was informed by the supervisor that someone had gone into the system and cancelled my second ticket. She could not explain who did it. She printed out the below activity log file and showed me the agent name "LXP" and explained that the log showed agent "LXP" cancelled the ticket. The supervisor did not know who it was, was completely confused, and couldn't help me furter. I was left taking the 1038pm flight

Before raising this to United customer service and accusing that SkyWest agent of having vindictively gone into the system a second time to override my AA ticket, I want to make sure the logs show that.

What I read, if you read from the bottom up is:

on Jan 27 at 0344Z (zulu), which is really 744pm PT on Jan 26, I was booked on AA1807. That's the third ticket. at 707pm PT, that's the AA ticket getting cancelled?

Thanks for your help (and for making it this far in the thread!)

Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:40 pm

don't laugh, maybe a few A340-500 are 'the' answer

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Or are you going to suggest UA should buy a few A345 in order to fly ORD-HKG on a full load ?
A345 should be cheap to buy with numerous examples having only a few miles on the clock and one owner. TG removed theirs from service on the NYC-BKK route (and may have them stored somewhere), SIA have five that Airbus are quietly buying back from them in some sort of deal. The SIA aeroplanes were flying all J class on SIN-LAX/NYC but haven't been as profitable as they had predicted.

Maybe UAL actually should be buying them.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have any thoughts about the below?

Hi all

Does anyone know how to read United log files?

This is a new issue related to this post
Skywest removes passengers

1. Summary of above link: On Jan 26, JAC-LAX initial flight to reach connection in LAX, the flight was delayed due to overbooking. Flight attendants requested that people volunteer to de-board due to weight issues. When not enough people de-boarded, bags were rolled to the window and flight attendants THREATENED to remove people's bags so that weight levels could be met. This took over an hour. Because of these antics, I missed my connecting flight at 6:15pm on a SATURDAY night. I was trying to get home to my family for SATURDAY night and the next UA flight was at 10:30pm.

New info:

2. At LAX customer service after missing the original connecting flight: I requested that I be put on a different carrier. Sky West Agent in LAX processed a new ticket and printed it. The agent was about to hand it to me when the SkyWest supervisor decided to interfere and she ripped it up. Upon questioning, she said they were not authorized to issue me a ticket on a different carrier and that I could go discuss with "main line" United customer service in another terminal. The supervisor was rude and unprofessional and we got into a verbal exchange that is not of the kind I expect to receive from a CSR supervisor.

3. I went to main line Customer service in terminal 7 and they processed a new a ticket for me on AA ASAP. They told me to hurry because AA flight 1807 departed at 755P - I only had an hour to check-in etc. I RAN to AA terminal 4 and when I arrived at the check-in desk 15 mins later, not only was I drenched in sweat, I was told my ticket had been cancelled. Baffled, AA called United ticketing and they informed that the new, second ticket was indeed issued but "someone" went into the system and cancelled the ticket. I think it was the original SkyWest agent.

4. I was then forced to either run back to the United terminal or call the premier line. I called the premier line, reached an agent and then was placed on HOLD repeatedly while they tried to contact a premier line supervisor. All the while, the AA agent waited for a new ticket to come through. I was placed on hold by UA premier for 30 minutes while United supervisors tried to sort the situation out. Eventually the phone agent was able to process a third, new ticket. Luckily the AA flight had been delayed by 15 minutes - that only left me with 35 minutes to make it through security. I reached the AA flight counter only to find out the door had been closed and I missed that flight. Argh-frustrating.

5. I went back to the United terminal and United main line customer service to ask a supervisor what had happened to the second ticket. I was informed by the supervisor that someone had gone into the system and cancelled my second ticket. She could not explain who did it. She printed out the below activity log file and showed me the agent name "LXP" and explained that the log showed agent "LXP" cancelled the ticket. The supervisor did not know who it was, was completely confused, and couldn't help me furter. I was left taking the 1038pm flight

Before raising this to United customer service and accusing that SkyWest agent of having vindictively gone into the system a second time to override my AA ticket, I want to make sure the logs show that.

What I read, if you read from the bottom up is:

on Jan 27 at 0344Z (zulu), which is really 744pm PT on Jan 26, I was booked on AA1807. That's the third ticket. at 707pm PT, that's the AA ticket getting cancelled?

Thanks for your help (and for making it this far in the thread!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.