Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: Skywest removes passengers for weight restrictions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this before: Skywest removes passengers for weight restrictions.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:14 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by B787938
What sort of comp were you able to offer for those folks not being able to fly?
None was requird. The flight was lightly booked. Many standby passengers had to tak their original flight though as we could not accomodate them on the aicraft. Lots of NRSA were left behind and didn't get to DEN that day as well. Neithr gets compensation for not being able to be accomodted on a light for which they did not hold confirmed space.

Had there not been bad weather and numerous misconnections, we would have needed to get volunteers, but the same bad weather that cuased the situation, somewhat buffered the impact by misconnecting a handfull of people.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
I guess all the 737-900 need to be retired because in icing conditions, they can take a HUGE weight penalty.
If this is the case then why are they adding multiple new 739s to the UA fleet to replace 752s?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:56 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
If this is the case then why are they adding multiple new 739s to the UA fleet to replace 752s?
For the same reason WN adds 737 instead of buying airbii (is that plural of airbus?)

I'm not saying the 737 is a bad plane, but it has it's disadvantages compared to soe others, and some advantages over others. The fact that CO has a zillion of em, with pilots trained, maint facilities, spare parts...well, I'm sure that plays a part in it (UA retired all of theirs and bought the airbus, if you recall.) Pohbly cost is etter to, although I have no clue on that. Remember last week, the 737 that was blown into a fuel truck (and the multiple 737 that were blown at ORD the previous day?) I've not seen an airbus blown across the tarmac at a right angleto the direction of thegear, although it may have happened, I do know of multiple 737 do it. I've had weight restrictions on 737 and on even light flights, I've hadto "redistrubute" the passenger placement on the aircraft when they were tail heavy. I can't recall ever doing that for an airbus.

Again, just becuase a plane routinly can fly a route with range to spare, doesn't mean that in extreme atmospheric conditions, it won't carry a weight restriction, which is, what the thread is about. So an RJ is weight restricted on a bad weather day, so too, are 777, 747, and 737 when their routes encounter stron winds or icing conditions. That doesn't mean that the aircraft is unsuitable. My comment that the 737 neds to be retired was sacrasm to point out that just because a plane at times has a weight restriction, does not make it a bad plane for the route overall.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Ironic, I was on a SYD-LAX flight one summer that V/IDB'ed a bunch of pax because the 744 was hauling several tons of beef heading for the U.K. during the mad cow scare. The FAs had actually put down the tray tables of several rows of C (and I presume they did the same in Y) to indicate that no one was to sit in them, so I presume some people's seat assignments were involuntarily changed as well in order to properly balance the aircraft.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Heck, even 747, the only scheduled comercial airliner for decades capable of flying trans Pacific can be weight restricted on routes far short of their max range when the jetstream or storms enroute require longer flight paths due to atmospheric conditions.
Isn't the case that all planes in UA's fleet are subject to weight and balance conditions, albeit less often than a CRJ200?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This was the first time you've seen Skywest remove passengers for weight and balance issues?? Wow, you must not fly them too often...happens all the time...it was one of the reasons my wife and I got VDB off our PDX-SEA UAX flight...it was on the EMB120 and the gate agent said we were one of the few passengers that was NOT connecting on to NRT. We only got $200...for $250 and overnight at United's expense in JAC? That would be a no-brainer for me...I'm never in THAT big of a hurry to get anywhere
Originally Posted by walkerci
Something is seriously wrong here. If the aircraft cannot fly the route with a full passenger and baggage load, regardless of weather, at least 95% of the time, then the aircraft cannot be used on that route. How hard is that? Why isn't the FAA protecting passenger safety and rights???
That's my point here. We're flying into and out of JAC in the winter. By definition, they should expect weather almost all the time. So why oversell what they can't carry. That's why I was upset...

None was requird. The flight was lightly booked. Many standby passengers had to tak their original flight though as we could not accomodate them on the aicraft. Lots of NRSA were left behind and didn't get to DEN that day as well. Neithr gets compensation for not being able to be accomodted on a light for which they did not hold confirmed space.

Had there not been bad weather and numerous misconnections, we would have needed to get volunteers, but the same bad weather that cuased the situation, somewhat buffered the impact by misconnecting a handfull of people.
Is there a typical $$ offer difference for VDBs and IDBs?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
I was on a Skywest flight about a week and a half a go that had a balance issue. I heard them talking about possibly removing a person from the flight if they couldn't get things balanced. They moved checked bags to the few empty window seat and that solved the issue.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
I wonder what day the OP traveled, because there haven't been any restrictions the past few days...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by walkerci
Something is seriously wrong here. If the aircraft cannot fly the route with a full passenger and baggage load, regardless of weather, at least 95% of the time, then the aircraft cannot be used on that route. How hard is that? Why isn't the FAA protecting passenger safety and rights???
That's a crazy rule, particularly with historical norm load factors. Also the DBing is for protecting safety.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Wow, sad story. I have never flown Skywest before, but have an upcoming flight with them that was originally scheduled as a UA mainline fight, but recently changed to a Skywest flight. I hope they don't unload paid F passenger's bags due to weight restrictions.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DXjr
I wonder what day the OP traveled, because there haven't been any restrictions the past few days...
This past sat, Jan 26
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by eagle007
This past sat, Jan 26
Okay, that would make sense. The weather was crazy bad that day from Vegas to Billings.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Ironic, I was on a SYD-LAX flight one summer that V/IDB'ed a bunch of pax because the 744 was hauling several tons of beef heading for the U.K. during the mad cow scare. The FAs had actually put down the tray tables of several rows of C (and I presume they did the same in Y) to indicate that no one was to sit in them, so I presume some people's seat assignments were involuntarily changed as well in order to properly balance the aircraft.
I once had my bags offloaded on an IAD-ZRH flight in the late 90's because the cargo bays were full of white asparagus being flown to Switzerland for various Spargelfesten...

Greg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The bag thing was ridiculously unprofessional. That said, the rule about IDB on >56 regional flights needs to be changed, given all the flying that has been moved to 50 seaters. Also, they really screwed up if they were 6 over on an RJ. That's more than 10% of the aircraft. In normal circumstances, I'd say that the people on the plane should have taken a bump for all those people going to SYD, but that's such a large number that its not fair to assume someone was just being a jerk by holding out.

Originally Posted by TimeToEarnMiles
The bag thing was unprofessional. Just IDB someone.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by tmm1012
Technically, this is indeed correct. I will say that the vast majority of my ~$3000 in VDB vouchers have come from overbooked regional jets, but if the airline wanted to be really frugal, they do have that option.
They have the option, but then they have to rebook the passenger and do it in a manner similar to non-weather IRROPS. That passenger going to SYD that you just IDB'd - better get them on QF.

Originally Posted by javabytes
So what is removing bags and/or pax due to excess weight if not "protecting passenger safety"?

Weight and balance issues are quite common with smaller regional jets. As mentioned up thread, airlines aren't even required to provide IDB comp if removing pax from a CRJ-100 or -200 for these reasons, so the voucher is a goodwill gesture.
They aren't required to provide IDB comp, but they are liable for other damage to the passenger, and have to reroute them efficiently.

Originally Posted by mre5765
Isn't the case that all planes in UA's fleet are subject to weight and balance conditions, albeit less often than a CRJ200?
Of course, but its extremely rare on mainline.

Originally Posted by eagle007
That's my point here. We're flying into and out of JAC in the winter. By definition, they should expect weather almost all the time. So why oversell what they can't carry. That's why I was upset...

Is there a typical $$ offer difference for VDBs and IDBs?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:48 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I cannot stand when RJ crews abdicate their responsibility and say stuff like "someone needs to move", as if a group of strangers is going to collectively organize themselves to decide who will take the bullet. Poor training and resorting to childish tactics.

I've seen this happen when some passengers need to move back for balance reasons, and the FA gets exasperated and says, "I need someone to move back, you all decide who".

That is f'ing ridiculous. Talk to a single person, and ask him/her to move, or use some criterion for overweight situation for one person to be offloaded and compensate him/her.

What is this, some kind of fight to the death to see who blinks first?

Ridiculous.

Last edited by TA; Jan 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.