CPU and gate upgrade questions

Old Jan 29, 13, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Well, your wife is lucky she is sitting up front to begin with. It is an error on UA's part that she. She ought to be ecstatic, not whining. Switching seats once on plane is usually pretty easy. Other passenger will be accomodating. It's not that big of a deal.

As for not revoking - there may be someone who was actually entitled to the seat your wife is occupying, so it is a favor. You're benefitting from UA's mistake and now you're annoyed at them? You'd rather the system had work correctly and your wife be in coach? I bet you won't tell your wife that. At worst, you're coming out even on this. At best, you're getting an undeserved if you both end up front.
My gripe is not that my wife got upgraded which appears to be a long-term "feature" of the Continental system as discussed here:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...t-your-status/

My gripe was that I was given an un-upgradable fare class by United when booking over the phone and should have been upgraded at the same window. Now that window is gone and I know to check the fare classes. In the grand scheme of things working "as documented" by United I am probably coming out even, but as many people would note the system probably should have bumped us both.
Old Jan 29, 13, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
..but as many people would note the system probably should have bumped us both.
Um, no - you still don't get it. Your wife wasn't really due an upgrade. A bug allowed her to be upgraded. The system should have only bumped you, not her. If you get an upgrade, there is likely someone who actually deserved the upgrade, but didn't get it because your wife did.
Old Jan 29, 13, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
My gripe was that I was given an un-upgradable fare class by United when booking over the phone and should have been upgraded at the same window. Now that window is gone and I know to check the fare classes. In the grand scheme of things working "as documented" by United I am probably coming out even, but as many people would note the system probably should have bumped us both.
Unless they've made some changes lately or my memory is totally hazy (very possible), being booked in X vs XN really shouldn't matter. In fact, for a long time the system was upgrading X tickets properly but refused to upgrade XN tickets, and I would have to call and beg to have the ticket converted to X. Also, since XN is a subset of X, it's entirely possible for an elite to get booked into X if XN is already sold out. (Am I wrong? - again, maybe something has changed but I've had X fares multiple times over the years). Upgrades on award tickets have been working like a charm for me, although I did have one recent experience where there was no convicing a phone agent that a Continental Presidential Plus MC did in fact qualify for this benefit - but I let it go.

If being booked in XN is now an outright requirement to get the award ticket ug, please let me know!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: