Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award Travel Possible on Great Lakes Aviation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Searching flights between Cheyenne and Denver, they're all operated by Great Lakes. Some have a UA code, like 7203, while others have just a ZK code. EF doesn't recognize even the UA codes as valid flights, and on ual.com there doesn't seem to be award availability between CYS and DEN.

What's the story?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
You have to call to get award tickets on ZK, but they're usually pretty limited from my past experience.

If you're wanting to get to Cheyenne, though - it's only about an 80 minute drive from DEN if you can't find what you're looking for. Your connection time is usually longer than that.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:56 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Oooo...

Flown Great Lakes MANY a time (PRC>LAX, LAX>PRC), you REALLY want to burn miles to fly free on them???
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by squarestatejeff
You have to call to get award tickets on ZK, but they're usually pretty limited from my past experience.

If you're wanting to get to Cheyenne, though - it's only about an 80 minute drive from DEN if you can't find what you're looking for. Your connection time is usually longer than that.
So after a long wait on the 1K line, while the agent checked with supervisors on what to do, she reported that no space was available for the May date I'm interested in. She then checked the next few days in case Great Lakes releases space at the last minute. Nothing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Flown Great Lakes MANY a time (PRC>LAX, LAX>PRC), you REALLY want to burn miles to fly free on them???
Seriously! It's called "Great Mistakes" for a reason!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:44 am

Redeeming UA miles on Great Lakes

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience in redeeming UA miles to fly on Great Lakes Aviation (availability, ease of booking with a UA agent, booking as part of longer itinerary)? I am particularly interested in DEN-TEX route. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am also looking to book the DEN - TEX leg on a UA codeshare for February, but there is no award availability. (Although UA's website tricks you - it allows you to fully book a low points award from EWR - DEN - TEX) and then when you select purchase, it gives you an error. It doesn't know until you go to purchase that there is no actual aware availability for the Great Lakes leg.

Anyway, is there any way for me to use points to book the EWR - DEN flight and then pay cash for the ~ $250 TEX flight from DEN, and have both be on the same PNR? .. That would be preferred for streamline sake. I assume the answer is no, though.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I am also looking to book the DEN - TEX leg on a UA codeshare for February, but there is no award availability. (Although UA's website tricks you - it allows you to fully book a low points award from EWR - DEN - TEX) and then when you select purchase, it gives you an error. It doesn't know until you go to purchase that there is no actual aware availability for the Great Lakes leg.

Anyway, is there any way for me to use points to book the EWR - DEN flight and then pay cash for the ~ $250 TEX flight from DEN, and have both be on the same PNR? .. That would be preferred for streamline sake. I assume the answer is no, though.
For what it's worth, the DEN-TEX flights are notoriously unreliable. Even though the convenience of TEX cannot be overstated, I'm at MTJ more often than not (usually deliberate). IME EWR-MTJ is a faster option than EWR-DEN-TEX, if operating on your dates.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I agree that you should just try to get to MTJ which you can on UA. During ski season in the past years before TEX was axed on 3 flights in, 3 flights out only 2 of them went off without a hitch. That included being driven to Cortez and Montrose in some cases.
Now it's nice to just land in Montrose, pick up the suburban and spend the nice 80-90 min drive through the mountains to Telluride.

I would MAYBE consider flying into TEX during the summer. Winter, never again.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Perhaps rgrunnah just wants to fly in to TEX? It's one of the more unique domestic commercial airports. You can't have award travel and revenue flights on the same PNR though, so leave plenty of connection time in DEN.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Perhaps rgrunnah just wants to fly in to TEX? It's one of the more unique domestic commercial airports. You can't have award travel and revenue flights on the same PNR though, so leave plenty of connection time in DEN.
It's certainly fun to fly in/out of TEX. In Feb I would say you have a 30-40% chance of success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.