Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by toddt
That will be at least 2 segments each way. Could be more if you are flying Full-fare Y or J (1.5 per flight or 3 segments. Details here https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
Is that correct? Yes, you get bonus PQS flying those fare buckets, but I thought the 4-segment minimum was 4 segments, period - not subject to bonus?
Old May 8, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That will be at least 2 segments each way. Could be more if you are flying Full-fare Y or J (1.5 per flight or 3 segments. Details here https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
For the purposes of the 4-segment minimum, it is BIS segments on UA metal only with no premium cabin bonus.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You are confusing Premier qualifying segments with minimum program segments.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
BE Fares?

Is it now my understanding that BE fare now count as a segment to satisfy the 4 segment minimum? Basically a SFO-LAX-SFO RT is 2 segments? I can't really tell from the wording on the website. Thanks!!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zoegksf
.Basically a SFO-LAX-SFO RT is 2 segments? ...
Yes (although SFO-LAX-SFO and RT are a bit redudant)
Each flight segment is one segement exceptt if a direct flight)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes (although SFO-LAX-SFO and RT are a bit redudant)
I guess I should have said a SFO-LAX RT. Thanks for the info. First time in 25+ years I am having trouble meeting the 4 flight minimum. I have been enjoying OAL's and fly whatever carrier has the best F/C/J price.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:05 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So a flight like that would earn 1 PQS (2x 0.5 PQS) and two segments out of the four minimum?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
So a flight like that would earn 1 PQS (2x 0.5 PQS) and two segments out of the four minimum?
BE flights earn 0.5 PQS per segment and that segment earns 1 segment for the four segment requirement
zoegksf likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:13 am

Hi,

I have not spent much time in the US this year, only done 3 of the 4 segments
Dont know if I will be back in the US before the end of the year, but will be traveling a lot in europe and asia (and possibly south america)
Is anyone aware of any UA metal flights that operate outside of the US, internally in europe or asia, that I could use to qualify as my 4th segment, or in order to qualify will I need to make a trip into the US before the end of the year?

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by gozoboro
Hi,

I have not spent much time in the US this year, only done 3 of the 4 segments
Dont know if I will be back in the US before the end of the year, but will be traveling a lot in europe and asia (and possibly south america)
Is anyone aware of any UA metal flights that operate outside of the US, internally in europe or asia, that I could use to qualify as my 4th segment, or in order to qualify will I need to make a trip into the US before the end of the year?

Thanks
Plenty of short haul flights to Guam. If that’s US and not internal enough for you, there’s Manila-Palau.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Plenty of short haul flights to Guam. If that’s US and not internal enough for you, there’s Manila-Palau.
And those, plus the flights on the Island Hopper, are it. UA does not operate service within Europe, and they've eliminated their intra-Asia flights that they used to run from NRT and HKG.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by gozoboro
Is anyone aware of any UA metal flights that operate outside of the US, internally in europe or asia, that I could use to qualify as my 4th segment, or in order to qualify will I need to make a trip into the US before the end of the year? ....
If eligible for USA issued credit cards, the holders for Chase MP Club card have the 4-segment required waived.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

thanks for the info / help
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: United Premier Executive
4 flights segments minimum for Premier Qualification

Hi there,
I am planning on a trip to the USA from Asia, and i'll need to meet a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United express flights in order for me to maintain my status for 2020.
Here comes the question. If i book tickets via ANA website, the ticket is actually way cheaper than if i were to book via United, for example from Taiwan to New York city.
For the segments from japan to the states and the states back to Japan will be marked with NH flight number, but it is operated by United airlines, and with united metal/plane.
Will these segments count toward a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United express flights?
Will these flight miles count toward my United lifetime miles?

Sorry if this topic had been discussed at other threat, but i cant seem to find it.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noodlesoup
Will these segments count toward a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United express flights?
Will these flight miles count toward my United lifetime miles?
Yes, and yes. United-operated flights all qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.