FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1432362-minimum-4-united-flights-segments-premier-status-post-your-questions-here.html)

plegros Oct 9, 2012 11:07 am

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Does anyone know if the 4 flights to qualify for elite need can be codeshare or really need to be operated by United ?

Bulldog83 Oct 9, 2012 11:10 am

Needs to be operated by United or Copa.

"Also, beginning January 1, 2012, to qualify for any Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights operated by United or Copa during a calendar year."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

UA-NYC Oct 9, 2012 11:36 am

I've been meaning to ask this - are MMers exempt from the 4 segment rule? The asterisk on mentions being exempt if you have a credit card, but not if you have lifetime status.

You'd think "lifetime status" would override the 4 annual segments, but who knows these days...

mre5765 Oct 9, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19465033)
I've been meaning to ask this - are MMers exempt from the 4 segment rule? The asterisk on mentions being exempt if you have a credit card, but not if you have lifetime status.

You'd think "lifetime status" would override the 4 annual segments, but who knows these days...

Why would you think that? What has a MMer who doesn't fly UA metal done for UA lately?

Whereas the credit card holder is delivering revenue to UA.

trekwars2000 Oct 9, 2012 12:37 pm

It is 4 segments or 4 tickets?

am1108 Oct 9, 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000 (Post 19465438)
It is 4 segments or 4 tickets?

4 Flights / segments to qualify for any status.

gwar69 Oct 9, 2012 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 19465376)
Why would you think that? What has a MMer who doesn't fly UA metal done for UA lately?

Whereas the credit card holder is delivering revenue to UA.

Because it's lifetime status. You also don't need to fly the 50,000/year, so why would you need the 4 segments? In other words, why wouldn't you think that? Unless you mean for a lifetime gold to earn platinum or 1K status, but if so, that's not clear from your post.

jadenus Oct 9, 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by gwar69 (Post 19465514)
Because it's lifetime status. You also don't need to fly the 50,000/year, so why would you need the 4 segments? In other words, why wouldn't you think that? Unless you mean for a lifetime gold to earn platinum or 1K status, but if so, that's not clear from your post.

I think he was being sarcastic. But with the new UA, you never know how close to the truth some sarcasm might be.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 9, 2012 1:06 pm

The MM designation is a earned lifetime benefit. There are no further flying requirements. It in itself is NOT a premier status level (ie you won't see MM status as a criteria for upgrades) , but the designation as MM gets you the associated Gold (or Platinum Status) unless you exceed the flying requirements for those levels at which you would get the superceding level through the next year. The 4 segment requirement is to achieve status by current flying (and minimum segments).

UA-NYC Oct 9, 2012 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jadenus (Post 19465542)
I think he was being sarcastic. But with the new UA, you never know how close to the truth some sarcasm might be.

Most definitely! I had the same reaction :D

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 19465638)
The MM designation is a earned lifetime benefit. There are no further flying requirements. It in itself is NOT a premier status level (ie you won't see MM status as a criteria for upgrades) , but the designation as MM gets you the associated Gold (or Platinum Status) unless you exceed the flying requirements for those levels at which you would get the superceding level through the next year. The 4 segment requirement is to achieve status by current flying (and minimum segments).

Very well put - this is what I'm thinking too (and what most people would think as well) - you just never know however with the floating/changing definition of "lifetime" these days.

Now with my FIL for example - he's a 2MM (so lifetime Plat), but if I hadn't remembered about this 4 segment rule, I would have kept his UA ticket in Dec as an award vs. paid. He would have been over 100K w/o it, but I'm guessing that wouldn't have qualified him for 1K...would have only had his Plat status.

philie Jan 27, 2013 10:02 am

Minimum of 4 United flights for Premier Status

Hi,

I am a Premier Silver member and I read that now I'll need at least 4 United flights to re-qualify.

I would like to know if United flight numbers operated by partner airlines count towards the 4 flights?

Thanks.

Philippe

IflyfromABE Jan 27, 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by philie (Post 20133290)
Hi,

I am a Premier Silver member and I read that now I'll need at least 4 United flights to re-qualify.

I would like to know if United flight numbers operated by partner airlines count towards the 4 flights?

Thanks.

Philippe

No has to be in UA or UAX metal (buses included with the latter)

exerda Jan 27, 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 20133298)
No has to be in UA or UAX metal.

IIRC, Copa also counts, but that's it.

IflyfromABE Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 20133302)
IIRC, Copa also counts, but that's it.

Indeed.

philie Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks for your help!