Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Question about the 4 segment minimum: does it have to be United-marketed and operated? Or can it just be United-marketed? I have a flight on NH metal that is on UA ticket stock and wanted to know if that segment counted...
Just needs to be operated by UA -- does not need to be marketed by UA.
So, in your case - no, as itis not UA operated.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
United metal/ LH codeshare

Living in Europe and having concerns about achieving minimum of four flight segments on United aircraft. Will a codeshare flight on United on a ticket sold by Lufthansa count toward the four segment goal?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
Living in Europe and having concerns about achieving minimum of four flight segments on United aircraft. Will a codeshare flight on United on a ticket sold by Lufthansa count toward the four segment goal?
Yes --you need four flights operated by United or United Express, regardless of flight number.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Thank you for the quick reply. It seems logical that a flight on a United plane should count even if it is coded LH86...
but sometimes the rules arent entirely logical.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Tiny bit off this special topic, but do BE flights count as flight segments?

Silly me! The answer is :
"Tickets will earn RDMs but no PQMs, PQSs, PQDs, does not count for minimum 4 segment , no lifetime miles".
I'm a bit confused, hasn't this been updated in December? At least for MP members?

As shown on the United website and also another FT thread.
Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
I'm a bit confused, hasn't this been updated in December? At least for MP members? ....
Yes, but in Nov 2018, when the quoted statement has made, the quote was true. Changed in DEc 2018.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, but in Nov 2018, when the quoted statement has made, the quote was true. Changed in DEc 2018.
So isnt the info in the sticky at the top of this thread also outdated? That was the reason for my confusion. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
So isn‘t the info in the sticky at the top of this thread also outdated?
Now updated.
Information is dynamic and wikis are maintained by the community as a whole -- no one individual.
Last updated was 25 Nov 2018.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Segment minimum for award flight

Hi, I'm flying UA on an award flight (I think it's X class) and wondered if the two segments involved would count toward my 4-segment minimum earn for my MileagePlus account? I believe they don't earn PQM or PQS, but wondered if they count as actual segments. Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
No, award travel does not count toward pqs pqd pqm.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
got it, thanks!
Old May 8, 2019, 5:26 am

4 paid flight segments

Hi,

Can anyone confirm/explain how the four paid flight segments work for status. For example, if I fly one way from Australia to New York with a layover in LA and both flights are operated by United will that be two segments? Or would this be one as it is one paid ticket and the layover does not matter? Appreciate if anyone can help.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2019 at 10:05 am Reason: Moved to master thread
Old May 8, 2019, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If SYD-LAX and LAX-NYC are different flight numbers, ii will count as two segments. If it's the same flight number, if you're stay at LAX is under 24 hours, you have a direct flight, so one segment for the entire SYD-NYC direction. However, if you stay more than 24 hours at LAX, it's a stopover and you get two segments, even if the flights share the same flight number.

BTW, despite Bourdain's series, layover has no clear meaning, so it's better always to say either stopover or connection (but note that if you have separate tickets, you don't have a connection).
geckoflyer, SteveHK and narvik like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:10 am

Thank you very much for the help. In this instance it would be a connection with a different flight number.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
That will be at least 2 segments each way. Could be more if you are flying Full-fare Y or J (1.5 per flight or 3 segments. Details here https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.