Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyalways
I was only credited 2/4 out of these 4 segments. Is that correct ? That was my question....
As you thought, and WineCountryUA confirmed, none of these should have counted. Are you sure they did? Maybe you have two UA-operated flights from earlier this year that you've forgotten about?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:42 am

United flights within Asia?

I’ve hit star alliance gold via miles flown but just realized that because all of my flights have been with partners I havenr hit the minimum 4 united flights. Does anyone know if there are any workarounds? I live in Asia and don’t Want to fly all the way to USA but doesn’t seem like there are any United flights within Asia. Any ideas? I think I might have seen the United club visa might Waive that requirement....
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
UA club card does waive the requirement.

Otherwise it seems to be 4 segments.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
There are flights within Oceania on united metal however. GUM-PVG, GUM-NRT, GUM-ROR, GUM-YAP, GUM-MNL and a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Might be able to stitch a round trip like NRT-GUM-MNL or PVG-GUM-MNL to meet the segment minimum.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by VWang1111
There are flights within Oceania on united metal however. GUM-PVG, GUM-NRT, GUM-ROR, GUM-YAP, GUM-MNL and a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Might be able to stitch a round trip like NRT-GUM-MNL or PVG-GUM-MNL to meet the segment minimum.
UA no longer flies GUM-PVG. UA still flies GUM-HKG, along with GUM-MNL and several GUM-Japan routes.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
UA club card does waive the requirement.

Otherwise it seems to be 4 segments.
OP lives in Asia. Usually, quite difficult to get a US-based card without a US residency, address and SSN. Of course, perhaps OP does have all that, they just haven’t shared, but without that info, I’d guess on the side of not an option for them.

IMO, 4 segment minimum is quite light for a ‘home’ airline requirement, and makes sense to me. Others (AC, for example) have a much higher requirement (and I don’t believe there is any sort of card waiver for them).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Tiny bit off this special topic, but do BE flights count as flight segments?

Silly me! The answer is :
"Tickets will earn RDMs but no PQMs, PQSs, PQDs, does not count for minimum 4 segment , no lifetime miles".

Guess mine are waived since I am MMer?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Tiny bit off this special topic, but do BE flights count as flight segments?
i don’t believe so. There’s definitely no PQM.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Where in Asia are you now, and can you enter the US (more specifically, Guam?)

Take a look at HKG->GUM->MNL->GUM->HKG or NRT->GUM->MNL->GUM->NRT

Should sort you out for the United flights w/o having to cross the pond.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Of all the Micronesian islands, SPN fares are probably the cheapest (competition with other airlines flying direct). Given UA only flies GUM-SPN, any round-trip Asia-SPN will give you 4 segments.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Guess mine are waived since I am MMer?
Yes and no. You don’t need to fly any UA segments to keep your current status level. However, if you wanted to qualify for a higher status level than you have from MM — e.g., 1MM trying to get to 1K — you’d still need four non-BE segments on UA metal.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
the mystatus.united.com site has been down for maintenance for me for the last two weeks. just wanted to triple check i'm on track and my spreadsheet lines up, as I have one flight not showing anything for accruals. does the site work for anyone else?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
does the site work for anyone else?
Yes. Try clearing your cookies.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes. Try clearing your cookies.
I just tried on a completely different computer. I can get to the login page just fine but always get redirected to https://mystatus.united.com/maintenance.html . I seriously think it's because one of my flights doesn't show accrual information.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Question about the 4 segment minimum: does it have to be United-marketed and operated? Or can it just be United-marketed? I have a flight on NH metal that is on UA ticket stock and wanted to know if that segment counted...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2018 at 10:36 pm Reason: merged into consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.