Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
MP 4 segment minimum question

Does it have to be UA metal or can LH flights with UA codeshares apply for meeting this requirement?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Does it have to be UA metal or can LH flights with UA codeshares apply for meeting this requirement?
UA operated. UA codeshares that are LH metal do not count.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Has to be operated by United or United Express, so codeshares don't cut it. The whole point of that rule, as I understand it, is so you can't become an elite on United without ever taking an actual United flight.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
There is a way around this - the MileagePlus Explorer Club card - the $450 annual fee one - waives this. It also gives you United Club access and virtually all benefits of United Premier Silver (except the CPUs and free Economy Plus at checkin). If you are a United Club paid member already (or were considering it), this may be an option.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK, I figured as much. Thanks guys.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Effective Jan 1, 2012 2012 MP Program -Any insight on what the 4 flights on ua/co requirement means? and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-here.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Feb 23, 2018 at 6:54 pm Reason: added second thread link
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I am stuck with that problem again.... I will have 60 segments soon but am missing the 4 UA segments.
Unfortunately UA flights ex Germany to the US are quite pricey right now...
Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I am stuck with that problem again.... I will have 60 segments soon but am missing the 4 UA segments.
Any other ideas?
Thanks!
I suppose you can wait for cheaper flights. Or book a UA flight from somewhere nearby and book a flight separately to there - either with cash or miles. Maybe CDG, BRU, AMS, ZRH, etc. Note UA intra-EU awards are now 8000 miles one way.

And more strategically, might also look at whether UA is actually the right program for you if you can’t meet all of the requirements, including the 4 segment minimum. Do you fly a lot of LH, for example? If so, maybe, even with the disadvantages M&M has, it may still be better for you. I find it’s mostly the case that a ‘home’ airline program meets needs better than foreign ones. There are probably some cases where a foreign program meets needs better than a home program, but it’s pretty rare.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Any other ideas?
Thanks!
If you have time while you are in the U.S., you can try to do a segment mileage run. Or Same Day Confirmed change, two segments can easily turn into four segments or more. Good luck.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: *
Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Out of curiosity, if you rarely find yourself in a United plane, why do you choose ( or desire) to be a UA elite? Presumably, you spend more time in other airlines - would their FF programs not be better for you?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Question

Originally Posted by ani90
Out of curiosity, if you rarely find yourself in a United plane, why do you choose ( or desire) to be a UA elite? Presumably, you spend more time in other airlines - would their FF programs not be better for you?
Unfortunatly not at this time.

I fly more than 60+ segments on EW a year and there are VERY few airlines that will give you any status for flying EW -> UA is about the only one outside ouf LH and M+M.
I easyly make FT on LH but star-gold can only be achieved using UA when you need to base it on segments...
Open for any suggestions total segments in a year are about 100 - using the star- alliance.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Unfortunatly not at this time.

I fly more than 60+ segments on EW a year and there are VERY few airlines that will give you any status for flying EW -> UA is about the only one outside ouf LH and M+M.
I easyly make FT on LH but star-gold can only be achieved using UA when you need to base it on segments...
Open for any suggestions total segments in a year are about 100 - using the star- alliance.
yeah and once you add lounge access to the EW benefits ... nothing compares to UA MP!

It has to be a UA operated flight, but it can be a codeshare on LH, LX etc. So you have a few more options perhaps? Either from DE to another European city and then UA across the pond? Once you are in the US there are some simple and cheap segment runs (just avoid N-class!) such as BOS/NYC-IAD-PHL or things like that.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah and once you add lounge access to the EW benefits ... nothing compares to UA MP!

It has to be a UA operated flight, but it can be a codeshare on LH, LX etc. So you have a few more options perhaps? Either from DE to another European city and then UA across the pond? Once you are in the US there are some simple and cheap segment runs (just avoid N-class!) such as BOS/NYC-IAD-PHL or things like that.
You might consider just purchasing a United Club membership. You'd get into Lufthansa's Business lounges, not Senator lounges, but it may still make sense depending on the airports you're flying and the cost of 4 UA segments.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I will have 60 segments soon but am missing the 4 UA segments. ...
Any possibility of you qualifying for a Chase MP Club credit card? Waives the 4 segment requirement?
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any possibility of you qualifying for a Chase MP Club credit card? Waives the 4 segment requirement?
As I am not US based - I am not eligable to get a US credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.