Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:15 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by philie
Hi,

I am a Premier Silver member and I read that now I'll need at least 4 United flights to re-qualify.

I would like to know if United flight numbers operated by partner airlines count towards the 4 flights?

Philippe
Further note.... This 4 segment rule went into effect in 2012 with the new MP program.

If you became a Premier Silver in MP 2012 as a result of flying from 2011, you would have had to fly a minimum 4 PAID segments on UA metal or Copa in 2012 to meet this requirement to requalify in 2012 for any 2013 Premier level. Have you received your 2013 credentials to notify you that you are a Premier member in 2013?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you have the club card (the $395/year one) it waives the requirements.
Metal matters in this case, so even if you had a segment on a US codeshare it would still count to your EOY totals.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
Originally Posted by WIRunner
If you have the club card (the $395/year one) it waives the requirements.
Metal matters in this case, so even if you had a segment on a US codeshare it would still count to your EOY totals.
Really? I had understood that a codeshare on US metal would count, although admittedly I have not tested the theory. If so, that's a pretty harsh rule -- though how hard is it to get *four* US/UX/Copa segments in route to >25k miles.

Edit: I just checked the Web site, and it is indeed flights "operated by" UA/Copa. Wow. (Sorry to have questioned you, WIRunner.)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:50 pm

a minimum 4 PAID segments??? what if a round trip have one stop, the total are four, does that count for 4 paid segments?? or you have to fly 4 paid trips( no matter its direct or stop?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by cubachao
a minimum 4 PAID segments??? what if a round trip have one stop, the total are four, does that count for 4 paid segments?? or you have to fly 4 paid trips( no matter its direct or stop?
A round trip with a connection each way will cover the requirement, at least if the flights don't share the same flight number (i.e., you aren't on a direct flight).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ejote
A round trip with a connection each way will cover the requirement, at least if the flights don't share the same flight number (i.e., you aren't on a direct flight).
as far as i can remember, it was take offs and landings, segments credited for pqm, pqm, and rdm would be different in this instance.

edit found it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post557.html
the way the flight is marketed does not matter.

Last edited by WIRunner; Jan 27, 2013 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
The Presidential Plus card in good standing also gets you there--waives flights requirement. Although my flights two weeks ago from CAE to JAC and back, both connecting through ORD, got me the four needed segments had I not already had the PP card.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubachao
4 segments; a RT with a connection each way counts.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:41 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
From UAInsider....

"Thanks for your questions, PSU Muddler and jonk. Paid flights refers to a paid flight segment operated by United, regardless of ticket stock or marketed flight number. A reservation with 4 United segments, for example, will do the trick."

Here is the post: (Post #557 from this thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post557.html

I have read somewhere on this Forum that if one has a direct flight, but with a stop and then continuation, that one can call in and have the next takeoff reclassified as a segment. I do not have that experience, but some have reported this.

Perhaps someone with experience will reply to this?

Last edited by mkr; Jan 27, 2013 at 6:21 pm Reason: clarify post # from the Merger update thread
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA
Minimum of 4 United flights for Premier Status

MP silver... Means nothing these days (except 25% mile bonus, free bags, and 2nd boarding group LOL) unless you are 1k at least. My office buddy, silver, had 0% success with upgrades out of iAH in 2012, 16 domestic flights + 5 more as Gold.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
as far as i can remember, it was take offs and landings, segments credited for pqm, pqm, and rdm would be different in this instance.

edit found it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post557.html
the way the flight is marketed does not matter.
You obviously know the rules much better than I do, but I recall there was some debate about the direct-flights issue -- e.g., http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uirements.html -- and I'm not sure the linked post answers it. And UA's website says "flights" rather than "segments." Is there any definitive answer to this?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ruthenium101
MP silver... Means nothing these days (except 25% mile bonus, free bags, and 2nd boarding group LOL)
It means nothing, except all these things that some people might actually value. Excellent analysis.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by ruthenium101
MP silver... Means nothing these days (except 25% mile bonus, free bags, and 2nd boarding group LOL) unless you are 1k at least. My office buddy, silver, had 0% success with upgrades out of iAH in 2012, 16 domestic flights + 5 more as Gold.
....And with my 5th eligible flight as Gold today, this is the first time this IAH based flyer hasn't been upgraded on an eligible flight since becoming Gold in Nov. My Silver % was probably close to 30% with very high IAH-SLC on Thurs night. It is all based on routes and times, and all of these tickets were discount/deep discount Y tix (think G)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
It means nothing, except all these things that some people might actually value. Excellent analysis.
A better statement is that it's about the same as a $90 credit card (with first year free)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Out of curiosity, why does one really care about silver status if they don't plan to fly 4 flights on UA? Not saying there is no reason, but that I have no idea what it would be?!?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.