Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is UA's baggage system so poor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Well-known issue that goes back many years.
Try this thread and related.
That makes me feel a little better. I've noticed it a lot more lately than previously. Not sure why unless UA is staffing down (which I've heard rumors of). Oh well. I'll chalk it up to a perk that doesn't really exist.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mddolloff
Has anyone else had issues with the "priority" baggage handling? It used to be one of the perks I liked the most know that on a flight my bag would be one of the first off. Lately it seems that order is completely arbitrary though. Once in awhile I can understand a bag "hiding" but this happens routinely now.
Two reasons: first, the priority tags used to only be given to Golds and higher, whereas now they are also given to Silvers (and to some CC holders, maybe?). So there are a lot more priority-tagged bags, diluting the benefit. Second, as you've no doubt observed, airport staff don't seem to be taking the priority handling very seriously.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i've actually been noticing an uptick in baggage delays. i typically only check bags when flying internationally or if i have a LOT of stuff, which is maybe 12-14 times a year.

i've had to check bags twice this month. i'm not sure what happened, but both times it would be even about 30 minutes after deplaning before the carousel would even start moving. and my bag would come out roughly 15 minutes after that. it's at EWR too and, all EWR jokes aside, this is actually the first time in years i've ever noticed this happening. it's now happened to me twice in a month. something seems odd.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i've actually been noticing an uptick in baggage delays. i typically only check bags when flying internationally or if i have a LOT of stuff, which is maybe 12-14 times a year.

i've had to check bags twice this month. i'm not sure what happened, but both times it would be even about 30 minutes after deplaning before the carousel would even start moving. and my bag would come out roughly 15 minutes after that. it's at EWR too and, all EWR jokes aside, this is actually the first time in years i've ever noticed this happening. it's now happened to me twice in a month. something seems odd.
that has been my typical experience at EWR, so not sure. 20-30 mins is the norm waiting. now i just go get a beer then go to the claim.

SMF is horrible, often 20+ minutes and if you are on the last plane to arrive on the evening bank of arrivals it can be upwards of 45...which always feels great after a t-con or international trip when it's midnight and facing a 1 hour drive home...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Ive been a 1K for 20 years with UA.....NEVER once have they lost or misconnected a bag of mine UNTIL THE MERGER.... In the 16 months since this stupid "merger" my bags have been lost FOUR times. If that is not PROOF that UA is handling baggage on the cheap and could care a less, I dont know what is.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
It seems to me that it is taking longer to get bags at DEN also.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If airlines and airports could work together to speed up baggage delivery, fewer people might choose to carry on, which would result in fewer departure delays caused by gate checking bags that don't fit, and eventually, a reduction in boarding chaos prompted by fear that overhead space won't be available. @:-)
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by halls120
If airlines and airports could work together to speed up baggage delivery, fewer people might choose to carry on, which would result in fewer departure delays caused by gate checking bags that don't fit, and eventually, a reduction in boarding chaos prompted by fear that overhead space won't be available. @:-)
Well...there's that...and then there's the $60 charge to check two bags?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I agree with you that it's sad. Very sad. But as someone pointed out a few posts earlier in this thread, if we want to find the culprit, we need to look in the mirror, because, "we", overall, demand the cheapest of everything and reward airlines that try to provide a premium product with bankruptcy. Sure, there are a few here, and I count myself and assume you as well in this group, who are willing to pay for quality, but in large measure, most travel buyers care about nothing but price. Hence, the airlines are optimizing for the environment they find themselves in. Even the trashing of UA is part of this trend. All the destruction was done in favor of finding the cheapest solution, damn the consequences. And, $mi$ek and his regime were apparently given those marching orders by whoever gave them control, by whoever gave him a $14 million bonus based on achieving cost savings (aka synergies), by the BoD who allows this, by the shareholders who allow this, and by the stock market that rewards this. End of the day: These folks are just reacting to overall market forces. And, so we wait 45 minutes for our luggage and consider ourselves lucky when we get it at all.
Mitchmu and I dont alway agree on things, but this time, s/he is right on.

Wanting stuff cheap wears many faces...

low fares
Easy upgrades
Compensation because my IFE toy doesn't work
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:01 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Reminds me of my last flight back to IAD. I was sick of being in the scrum of people who all insist on standing within 10 yards of the conveyor belt. So I stand back a little bit. After about fifteen minutes after the first bag came out, I still didn't see mine. I was finally about to go to the customer service agent when I saw that the staff had pulled it off the conveyor before I had the chance to do so.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Gate check bag sent to PDX not PWM

A relative flew this week IAH-EWR-PWM. The EWR-PWM sector operated by Republic (Q400). Ground staff insisted on gate-checking the carry-on.

It eventually showed up in Portland, Oregon not Portland, Maine.

This really doesn't surprise me.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:04 pm

Sorry about your lost bag but this made me LOL hard. This is a new low. How difficult is it to load the bag on the plane that's sitting RIGHT THERE?

Flying on commuter routes has become such a nightmare it's unbelievable. Most of my regional flights are either delayed, canceled, or some other sh*t.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
They gate checked the bag to the final destination not just valet bagged.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Better than PTJ (served by SH).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Does your bag get extra FF miles for flying an extra 5000mi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.