Why is UA's baggage system so poor?

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
IME, IAD and ORD are pretty much the worst for baggage and trying to do what the OP described in his post.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Well I didn't have my luggage for 2 weeks...because they sent it back to JAX when it was supposed to go to NRT...yeah got to love it.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I sure hope I don't have to wait as long as the previous poster, as I have another outbound trip and need the luggage and some of the content.

However in 3 trips this year, I have had bags misconnected or just plain wrong 2 out of 3 trips. That is appalling.

The last misflight, they would not even deliver the luggage. I had to pay for a cab to go to the airport to get it. I had to expense items to cover the 3 days it took them to deliver my bag. I expensed the cab fare too.

Now I returning from a trip. I check in 2.5 hours prior to the flight, for a direct flight. 2 bags. 1 makes it, albeit last off the belt. (So not sure what the priority tag purpose is in IAD.) Second bag, nowhere. Of course this is after waiting 45 minutes for bags to unload. They sent to bag to EWR instead of IAH. Why when there is another flight to IAH following the flight that I had. So Why again why EWR.

At a 66% snafu rate this year, that is appalling.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by vandesa
I sure hope I don't have to wait as long as the previous poster, as I have another outbound trip and need the luggage and some of the content.

However in 3 trips this year, I have had bags misconnected or just plain wrong 2 out of 3 trips. That is appalling.

The last misflight, they would not even deliver the luggage. I had to pay for a cab to go to the airport to get it. I had to expense items to cover the 3 days it took them to deliver my bag. I expensed the cab fare too.

Now I returning from a trip. I check in 2.5 hours prior to the flight, for a direct flight. 2 bags. 1 makes it, albeit last off the belt. (So not sure what the priority tag purpose is in IAD.) Second bag, nowhere. Of course this is after waiting 45 minutes for bags to unload. They sent to bag to EWR instead of IAH. Why when there is another flight to IAH following the flight that I had. So Why again why EWR.

At a 66% snafu rate this year, that is appalling.
What were the itineraries in your examples? And, where was the luggage lost when they refused to deliver it?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Originally Posted by mitchmu
What were the itineraries in your examples? And, where was the luggage lost when they refused to deliver it?
1st trip, YXU - ORD - SXM. Bags left in ORD, 3 days later when bag arrived in SXM I was in St Barts. They forwarded baggage to St Barts, but would only deliver it to the airport, and would not deliver it to the port, so I could pick it up with the digny. I was on a sailboat for a week.

2nd trip today, CUN - IAN
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:04 pm

seriously United!

45 minutes after landing for bags to BEGIN to show up on the carousal at IAD tonight. Hard to believe I/we put up with this...

LC
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:08 pm

For some reason, complaints about service at IAD seem all valid to me. It's beyond me to explain how demanding it can possibly be to offload some bags in a timely acceptable manner.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am not one to apologize for United's many mistakes but could this be a baggage staff issue and not a United problem?
Many of these services are contracted and unionized which may mean that United has little/no say in how things are done.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Only 45 minutes to receive your bags at IAD tonight?

Wow, they're getting better
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sulley

LOL, that's what I was thinking!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sulley

Sad but true...add LAX to this group...last week it took nearly 65 minutes after arrival to retrieve our bags from MCO...is it any wonder flyers don't want to check their luggage
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Well that is what happens when you have unions sadly. My buddy did baggage work once and he said its a joke of how lazy those people are. The thing is that the airlines don't care because the customer accepts it. I was in IAD and my bag was late 2.5 hours, I complained to United and they shrugged it off and gave me 5,000 points for my issues. In Japan my bag got misplaced and those girls were RUNNING to find it...yeah if I ever get out of the Navy I will find a job working in Japan...helluva better here.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
I've transferred international->domestic many, many times at IAH (and EWR, FWIW) and my bags have *always* gone onto a conveyor belt. There is no way I would leave them out on the floor and hope for the best.

What you've described above doesn't sound like the normal operation at IAH at all. I'm sure others can confirm based on their experience.
Many times myself....never a lost bag...by CO or UA for that matter. I guess some of us are just luckier than others. I couldn't care less how they stack, store, line-up, x-ray, sit on, rifle through, or transport my bags as long as I get them back undamaged.

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 18, 2013 at 2:22 am Reason: moderate
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by exerda
Argh--now the bag has missed the only flight back today and is stuck in Colorado again for another 24 hours.
Can you get miles the bag has flown into your account?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just to return back to the OP's original comment...

I had a recent delayed bag issue and the thing that drove me the most crazy was the website's continual "tracing continues" notice all day long... it only updated once I actually had received my bags. What's the point? Fix that and you'll get a lot more calm customers who know where their bag is and when to expect it...

btw - for 1K members, the "1K baggage desk" was fantastic and was able to provide a lot more information than on the website... but why not just put it on the website for everyone?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.