FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global Services Customer Service - AWFUL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1431922-global-services-customer-service-awful.html)

LASUA1K Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 20125047)
A. I think that you got the wrong airline or the location of the supervisor
B. I think that you are whining unfairly for getting transpacific F tickets for $500 to non-elites (after your company got their Y tickets for free.) You know, most of the people here would non complain for $500 F transpacific tickets (just saying)
C. I think that UA does not fly SAN-HKG directly. I am pretty sure actually

[Conforming moderator edit to original quote.]

Once again you are wrong. You choose to jump on the OP. DTW with HNL are the best call centers. From SAN the OP can connect in SFO. The OP would be wise to fly SQ or Cathay. Just because his company paid for the tickets does not mean he should just hand over an extra 250 to UA. I'm sure you like your money just like the OP does.

Yes, the OP did not understand the W fare, the OP was willing to pay for that but charging an extra 250 change fee without telling the OP is silly.

Just because the OP is a GS doesnt mean they know all the rules. I'm prettg sure most GS dont care about the benefits of an airline. The OP would be best to take his money elsewhere.

This board has become rip on a new poster way too often.

lizzybev Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I really like the suggestion of flying Singapore. Cathay is direct out of LAX I think and I live half-way between SAN and LAX so I am going to look at both options. You guys are wonderful and SO much help. Thank You

Thunderroad Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 20125194)
Actually if OP often fly paid C and paid F internationally to Asia, I would suggest OP join SQ instead of CX, as SQ do have something similiar to GS on UA which called PPS.

SQ's PPS program do award a lot more than top tier CX Diamond.

I didn't know that, so thanks for that info.

I guess another advantage for the OP of joining and gaining top status on the SQ program (or CX, for that matter) is that she would get lounge access for domestic UA and US flights (and, if CX, on AA flights).

But the Star Alliance redemption rates on SQ are much worse than they are for UA aren't they? (I don't know how CX and AA compare on that front.) Of course, on the other hand, she could redeem her SQ miles for trans-ocean SQ flights, whereas those SQ flights are out of bounds for UA redemptions.

Thunderroad Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by lizzybev (Post 20125226)
I really like the suggestion of flying Singapore. Cathay is direct out of LAX I think and I live half-way between SAN and LAX so I am going to look at both options. You guys are wonderful and SO much help. Thank You

That does sounds one point in favor of CX. But one additional factor to consider is that SQ has arguably the best F suites of any airline on its A380 flights. But they are only flying part of the year from SFO and I'm not sure what their status is out of LAX.

Anyway, definitely a First World (and First Class) problem as these are two of the best airlines in the world.

Often1 Jan 25, 2013 6:32 pm

If UA failed to disclose the $250 per change penalty in its t&c, OP should file a complaint with DOT. If UA did disclose, OP was "told" and it was the supervisor's error for refunding the money and taking the time it takes to unwind the transaction which OP asked the CSR to undertake.

While GS may not mean much to someone who travels largely intl., for this particular GS it's a big deal. The GPU's allow for the otherwise unavailable UG.

cesco.g Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lizzybev (Post 20125207)
I still don't understand why upgrading a ticket incurs a $250 change penalty. That seems bizarre to me.

Changing a ticket incurs the charge for changing, which is $ 250 in your case, then there is the charge for the fare difference, in your case going from the original farebase (S,T,L,K etc) to a W-farebase. Let's say you would only have a change in date but still the same fare, then only the change fee ($ 250) would apply.
Example: you are booked in T-class on 1/27/13 and rebook to 2/5/13 in T-class = change in date / no change in fare class = only change fee applies.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

up2challenge Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Catching up on all this...

Since my problem with United last night, I have been familiarizing myself with others' experiences.

In this case, yes, 62 minutes does seem like a long time, but ultimately United provided a full refund. Not bad.

A similar situation happened to us. It's a long story, but we had to cancel an international trip. When we rescheduled, the original cancelling agent's statements were not honored. We had detailed notes about the cancellation. United also had notes and a supervisor corrected the problem.

In both your case and the case I described above, United made mistakes that were ultimately corrected. Frustrating? Yes. Annoying? Yes. Inefficient? Yes. Could they do more? Not really. To err is human.

sfogate Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 20125151)
Unfortunately, many transactions take a lot of time with the new UA, often by a factor of 5 or 10 or more.

This is a result of United downgrading SHARES, which was Continental's computer system. March 3, 2012 was the date of the downgrade, and it's mostly been downhill from there.

Reservation uses EZR.

scottish_colin Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by up2challenge (Post 20125389)
In this case, yes, 62 minutes does seem like a long time...

That's become the norm unfortunately. I had a great agent a few days ago, couldn't have been more helpful, professional or nicer during our interaction. But... it still took 42 minutes to change a fully flexible C fare to an earlier flight on the same day. Rate desk took forever, then she had to redeposit my GPUs, then she could actually issue my new segment... Seems like that would have taken 5-10 minutes back in the good old days...

smitopher Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by lizzybev (Post 20125207)
I still don't understand why upgrading a ticket incurs a $250 change penalty. That seems bizarre to me.

Because UA wants to stop any and all gaming of the system by FFers that has any possibility of cutting into the most profitable segment of their business. They have a staff equipped with VERY sharp pencils and all manner of protractors to measure ALL of the angles and figure ALL of the impacts.

In their arguable "best business judgement" :p, UA has made the "judgement" that they will make the most money (UAs ONLY real goal and fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders) by adopting such seemly irrational policies that they full well know generate "BAD WILL" amongst their "best customers".

Game theory, which is used to perform this kind of analysis, is FULL of these kinds of seemingly "paradoxical", counterintuitive principles, ESPECIALLY in a business like airlines with their high value, high cost, EXTREME instantaneous product inventory spoilage and EXTREME supply/demand curve. A seat is fully sellable up until the plane leaves and then it CAN'T BE SOLD. Once a seat is sold, UA cannot unsell it to sell it to buyer willing to pay more. Further, the ACTUAL number of physical seats available in an aircraft is not adjustable in the short and medium term, but price sure is.

Customer satisfaction and loyalty are just a few of the myriad factors used to make these policies.

If you REALLY want to get pissed off, just read the "Contract of Carriage" that you "agree to" when you buy a ticket.

cesco.g Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by scottish_colin (Post 20125407)
That's become the norm unfortunately. I had a great agent a few days ago, couldn't have been more helpful, professional or nicer during our interaction. But... it still took 42 minutes to change a fully flexible C fare to an earlier flight on the same day. Rate desk took forever, then she had to redeposit my GPUs, then she could actually issue my new segment... Seems like that would have taken 5-10 minutes back in the good old days...

Same here. Smallest change, even on fully flexible tickets:
Rate desk, rate desk, rate desk!!!
I am getting sooo tired of this!

jquelish12 Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by lizzybev (Post 20125226)

The late night SQ flight out of SFO is nice. You can get in a full day of work and grab a pre-flight shower at the SQ lounge at SFO, which is nice.

Just remember that you'll be missing out on a fair amount of United PQMs and regular award miles when you take SQ!

grahampros Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 20125393)
Reservation uses EZR.

That is the interface on top of Shares that CO built long ago. It' still SHARES. But these types of changes went to the fare desk to reprice and re ticket. Whole different ball game is why it took so long.

SittingUpFront Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20125300)
If UA failed to disclose the $250 per change penalty in its t&c, OP should file a complaint with DOT. If UA did disclose, OP was "told" and it was the supervisor's error for refunding the money and taking the time it takes to unwind the transaction which OP asked the CSR to undertake.

Since the company purchased the tickets, the OP may not have seen the eTicket receipt where the change fee terms were listed. The OP apparently assumed that there wouldn't be a change fee in addition to the fare difference.

qvzn Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

A little OT, but in order to preserve Lindbergh Field's good name...

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 20125140)
SAN can't take larger than a 763, which would go plop in the ocean on that flight length.

Not exactly true (the first part). British Airways operates a daily 772 to LHR, and JAL was operating a 787 to NRT until the grounding (to be resumed with 777/767)

JAL 787 landing at San Diego (w/ picture)

Originally Posted by U-T San Diego
"We are utilizing 777 and 767 aircraft to substitute the 787," said Japan Airlines spokeswoman

lizzybev, you might consider the new JAL service if the schedule works and you'd prefer to avoid the disaster zones north of you LAX/SFO hubs