The language gap

Old Jan 23, 13, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA GLD.
The language gap

Interesting exchange with a UA GA at IAD last night after my flight home was delayed :

Me : "Excuse me, where is the nearest ATM please?"

GA : "3 hour 45! You tell United! Mechanical issue big!"

Now I know Dulles hasn't got the best layout ever, but 3hr45 to reach an ATM?

I also applaud the same GA for coming on board when we finally left, promising everyone over the PA we would be receiving "plenty voucher."
Old Jan 23, 13, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Was this down in the A gates pit, by chance?
Old Jan 23, 13, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by rpjepson View Post
Interesting exchange with a UA GA at IAD last night after my flight home was delayed :

UA225 by any chance?

I was surprised to hear them call boarding for that just as we were boarding the 3-hour delayed UA924 a bit before 1am.
Old Jan 23, 13, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I would love to be a fly on the wall during the hiring process there. How does is it possible that someone with such limited English is hired to interact with customers? Is there an interview? Is the interview conducted in another language? Do they only ask yes/no questions and accept nodding for a response? I certainly don't miss the SJC TSA folks who would communicate only with grunts and hand gestures, but I always really wondered about how exactly they came to get their jobs.
Old Jan 24, 13, 1:09 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Originally Posted by rpjepson View Post

Now I know Dulles hasn't got the best layout ever, but 3hr45 to reach an ATM?

I also applaud the same GA for coming on board when we finally left, promising everyone over the PA we would be receiving "plenty voucher."
I think I know exactly who you mean

Originally Posted by 3card View Post
I would love to be a fly on the wall during the hiring process there. How does is it possible that someone with such limited English is hired to interact with customers? Is there an interview? Is the interview conducted in another language? Do they only ask yes/no questions and accept nodding for a response? I certainly don't miss the SJC TSA folks who would communicate only with grunts and hand gestures, but I always really wondered about how exactly they came to get their jobs.
+1. Let's face it, we're talking about people who wouldn't qualify for an emergency exit seat here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: