Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}

Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Just because they are a different alliance doesn't necessarily mean the OP will have to reclaim and check bags. If it's all one ticket, then UA should be able to tag the bags all the way through.
I would be really surprised if this is one ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I was not aware you could do that if you can get it on one ticket (through priceline or another online or other travel agency, presumably), but that is in part because I quit buying tickets through OTAs years ago because if you want to see how things can really go wrong, have an IRROPs on a single ticket with airlines that don't talk to each other.
If it's one ticket, an interline agreement exists. There's a big misconception about interlining. Most airlines have interline agreements with each other (for example, Air France and United do have one). United and AF will, in some cases, plate a single ticket with the other airline operating a segment(s) on it under their interline agreement. And they will interline luggage. But that does not necessarily mean they will interline luggage on separate tickets under the existing interline agreement. If you buy a United ticket and an Air France ticket separately, there is no incentive for UA to hassle with transfering a bag to AF, nor an incentive for AF to be responsible for a bag mishandling by UA.

I've flown on many US-Africa trips that were single-ticket, interlined luggage journeys that originated on United and connected to Swiss or AF. Star Alliance, outside of Brussels Air, is pretty weak to parts of Africa that oil field trash need to go..

Southwest, Frontier, Allegiant, etc have no interlining agreements with any one else.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 8, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:09 pm

Thank you all for your replies!

I did consider Thalys, but it was cheaper to fly!

And no, it is not one ticket, but two separate ones. Two different airlines.

Have all my airport maps downloaded, now to find the lounge!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I haven't transited CDG since the recent enhanced security began. I have an upcoming trip where I planned to arrive at CDG T2 on the TGV at 10:00 a.m. and depart on UA to ORD at 11:40 a.m. from T1. In the past I would do this as this train is the earliest I can get. I have Acces No. 1, carryon bag, etc. to expedite checkin, immigration and security.

Cutting it too close?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I haven't transited CDG since the recent enhanced security began. I have an upcoming trip where I planned to arrive at CDG T2 on the TGV at 10:00 a.m. and depart on UA to ORD at 11:40 a.m. from T1. In the past I would do this as this train is the earliest I can get. I have Acces No. 1, carryon bag, etc. to expedite checkin, immigration and security.

Cutting it too close?
That should be ok... I had enhanced security not long ago and it added about 20 minutes... bad part of that, I had four SSSS's on my connecting BP when I arrived at ORD and had to do it twice in one day... Ugh!!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Buzzman
That should be ok... I had enhanced security not long ago and it added about 20 minutes... bad part of that, I had four SSSS's on my connecting BP when I arrived at ORD and had to do it twice in one day... Ugh!!
That is so much tighter than I would try at CDG, but carry-on might make a huge difference; I've never left CDG using carry-on only. If you're flying anytime soon (next 7 days) on United, things could be messy due to the IAH (weather) situation.

Since just carry-on, and you have status (you've got Access 1), you can always look into a no-cost same day change to a later flight.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Used the CDG *A lounge last week. It was slight nicer than your typical UC (self-serve bar, etc.) and as I'm not *G yet and was in E+ on this flight, I was able to gain access through Priority Pass.

I thought the security setup was pretty efficient -- how they corral SSSS selectees for secondary right after primary security, instead of pulling them out of a boarding line as you see so often elsewhere in Europe.

I also liked how they are able to use gate 42 as the Premier Access lane for both gates 43 and 41. It cuts down on some of the herding in what's a relatively small area.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I actually had forgotten that we hadn't gone through security yet when we hit the *A lounge...so had to hustle a tad once we left - a bit frustrating given how lackadaisical / undermanned the security checkpoint was.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by cranky1K

Cutting it too close?
I usually get off the RER 90 minutes before departure time and usually get 5 min in the lounge too. Access 1, carry on only, mobile boarding pass....
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I actually had forgotten that we hadn't gone through security yet when we hit the *A lounge...so had to hustle a tad once we left - a bit frustrating given how lackadaisical / undermanned the security checkpoint was.
The speed and length of the security line for the UA gates at CDG is completely random. My last flight, returning 7/25, took all of 5 minutes. And that's during the new period of "enhanced security." Other times it's taken half an hour. Typically somewhere between the two.

Similarly random are the passport lines. This past trip it took over 30 minutes. It's usually 5 (and much shorter with Access 1).

There are few airports I've flown through in which the benefits of *G mean as much as they do at CDG, in terms of peace of mind. I can't imagine what it's like to be a non-elite at CDG T1.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The big wild card is not security at the gate -- because if you are there, the plane won't leave without you. Rather, the wild card is passport control. While having Access1 may allow you to avoid a 1 hour line (as is typical at 10am), I have waited in Access1 lines that are as short as 1 minute, to as long as 20-30 minutes.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The *A lounge at T1 allows PP? No wonder it is so crowded. I did not realize that. I thought the Icare was the only PP lounge. (Actually, I think the Icare lounge food is fine - it is just that it is so small and even more crowded than the *A.) Now, if the *A lounge served champagne, that would be an improvement.

I also agree that passport control in T1 can be incredibly long, and without Access No. 1, could be a delay of 30-45 minutes. The security lines at the gate are usually pretty short, though last time I was there at the end of June, it moved very slowly. With the usual very slow and mixed up boarding group lines to get on the plane, though, I still had plenty of time.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k
ORD-CDG in a few days, first time in years.

Access No. 1---Sounds like it is helpful both for arrival and departure at CDG?

Access No. 1---If so, how do you get it?

*A Lounge---Clear passport control, go to Floor 10 (J seats). Leave with enough time to clear security at gate, about how long?

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by latimeriv
ORD-CDG in a few days, first time in years.

Access No. 1---Sounds like it is helpful both for arrival and departure at CDG?

Access No. 1---If so, how do you get it?

*A Lounge---Clear passport control, go to Floor 10 (J seats). Leave with enough time to clear security at gate, about how long?

Thanks
Either flying J or you are *G... not sure any benefit on arrival... don't recall any...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: 1k
Hi, I read through most of the thread but a lot of the posts are older so wanted to check . . . I'm flying EWR-CDG-FRA on 10/27 and have a choice of a 1:35 or 2:45 connection in CDG from UA to LH. I'm a 1k flying in C. Should I book the 2:45 connection to be safe? I haven't transited through CDG in years so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.