Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Gold.. Have only cleared once 48 hours out on HKG-SIN. Everything else cleared at gate.. Tend to purchase only deep discount fares.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K
1k, cleaed 96 hoursout yesterday on a lightly travelled route from ORD.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by hobo13
A CPU for a GOLD? Bwahahahah. That is so 2011.

1K's barely get CPU's anymore!
Not true. Was flying EWR-MCO (UA 872) in an A320 last week in 1D. My seatmate in 1F was amazed to be upgraded even-though a silver.

First week on January MCO-EWR in a 752. F had a seat open and 3 non-revs upgraded and nobody in the upgrade waitlist.

Similar MCO-IAD and IAD-MCO routes have always had overfull F and 20ish in the waitlist for upgrades...

you know the "location, location, location". As far as upgrades are concerned it is all "route, route, route" and "time, time, time".

I think that if one flies out of pmUA hubs and the first or last flights of a day the probability of upgrades is very low.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
My experience has been the following:

There are four windows for clearing upgrades (which coincide with the 4 premier levels) : 96, 72, 48, 24 hrs. The system seems to do a sweep within an hour after these limits passed and grands some upgrades to the ones eligible (and of course it is level specific.) if an upgrade does not clear by T-23 hours or so (for any level) it will have to clear at the gate and then it clears at around T-30 minutes depending on how many of the people assigned to F were checked in and the order in the waitlist
+1

I have never cleared an upgrade from the time period ~T-23:50 to T-0:30 that I am aware of. Typically as a gold if I am going to clear, it is either T-48:00-47:50 or T-24-23:50. Every so often on the right routes I will clear on the battlefield at <T-0:30 but usually if it goes to the battlefield I end up in E+ even if I am in the top two or three.

It really depends on the route/load...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA 1181 1/23 LAX-OGG. 1k upgraded 95hrs 45mins out. Why the 15 minute delay ???? Waiting on IAH-LAX that morning, but looks good.

Update - IAH-LAX cleared +/- 72 hrs

?..1K's barely get CPU's anymore!
That's a false statement. Just because you might live in a city where there's either fewer seats available or more people trumping you for CPUs, it's pretty inane to make such a statement. Flying out of IAH, LAS, OGG, and LAX last year, I was probably 75-80% on CPUs over at least 48 flights.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:04 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Not true. Was flying EWR-MCO (UA 872) in an A320 last week in 1D. My seatmate in 1F was amazed to be upgraded even-though a silver.

First week on January MCO-EWR in a 752. F had a seat open and 3 non-revs upgraded and nobody in the upgrade waitlist.

Similar MCO-IAD and IAD-MCO routes have always had overfull F and 20ish in the waitlist for upgrades...

you know the "location, location, location". As far as upgrades are concerned it is all "route, route, route" and "time, time, time".

I think that if one flies out of pmUA hubs and the first or last flights of a day the probability of upgrades is very low.
It was a joke. I'm sure at least one Silver, somewhere, gets upgraded each day! And you citing MCO as the route for the upgrade isn't exactly surprising.

But PMUA? Really? I think that PMCO hubs are worse. My percentages through EWR are much worse than IAD. I'm also not sure why your first or last flights of the day comment is really applicable. Sure, first on Monday is a problem. But last on Monday? Think about it.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's a false statement. Just because you might live in a city where there's either fewer seats available or more people trumping you for CPUs, it's pretty inane to make such a statement. Flying out of IAH, LAS, OGG, and LAX last year, I was probably 75-80% on CPUs over at least 48 flights.
MCI-DEN last Thu, mid morning on a ERJ170. 2 open F seats fromT-96 until OLCI time and I'm offered a $159 buy up. I declined and plane left "Booked Full" in F and I was #1 on list since T-24. pmUA this was a no brainer upgrade success for me
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by limey1K
MCI-DEN last Thu, mid morning on a ERJ170. 2 open F seats fromT-96 until OLCI time and I'm offered a $159 buy up. I declined and plane left "Booked Full" in F and I was #1 on list since T-24. pmUA this was a no brainer upgrade success for me
Well, yours is a case where I say good for UA and too bad for you. If UA can get someone to pay that kind of money for a 500 mile ride up front with no meal, good on 'em. UA's trying to make money. Airlines are not supposed to be non-profits. Part of the reason they were non-profits is because such an upgrade was previously a "no-brainer". I know there were several instances where I probably lost seats to TODs or HODs, but it's just UA making money. It's their right and purpose (as long as the extra money is not totally insignificant).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
CPUs cleared at 96 hours for both ORD-LAS and the return, LAS-ORD. Both upgrades really surprised me. I was not expecting them, and to see them at 96 hours out was delightful, to say the least! We are 1K... two of us on same PNR.
^^
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sim510
CPUs cleared at 96 hours for both ORD-LAS and the return, LAS-ORD. Both upgrades really surprised me. I was not expecting them, and to see them at 96 hours out was delightful, to say the least! We are 1K... two of us on same PNR.
^^
This route is an easy upgrade unless maybe you travel the day before one of the monster conventions is about to start.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'm Gold, and usually clear at t-24 at the earliest. Flew PVR-DEN on exCO 737 and cleared at t-24, but there were 2 empty F seats on the flight (obviously a low premier load), but I was surprised it was not sooner given that they didn't even fill F.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
In 2013 as a GS, four CPU upgrades cleared at 5 days out, one CPU upgrade cleared at 4 days out. In all, 5 of 5 for the year.

I have also cleared 4 flights booked into B that I haven't flown yet.

In 2012 as a 1K about 85% of my eligible domestic flights cleared. A few were 4 days out, a few two days out, a few one day out, and a LOT (more than half of non YBM fares) cleared at the gate.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
A CPU for a GOLD? Bwahahahah. That is so 2011.
I echo this same sentiment. But for 2013 I've had one clear at 48 hrs out. Here's to hoping that 2013 is different than 2012 (but my expectations are quite low)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
1k flying EWR-FLL on 1/23 cleared last night about 92 hours out.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: UA
in December 2012, a number of rescheduled flights due to weather and extra flights in service allowed me to get s few CPU as UA Gold at the T-48r mark. IND-IAD cleared at T-48 while IAD-IAH cleared at <T-24. The following week, IAH-IAD cleared at T-48.

I have had a few others clear at T-48 as well. Although the routes I had were not always full planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.