Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do before 1k status expires?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Unhappy What to do before 1k status expires?

Hi!

I didn't take advantage of my 1k status in 2012 and now it's gonna expire...

Besides global entry app credit and waiving my cc annual fee, what else can I do to use whatever remaining benefit I have as a 1k?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by davetastic
Hi!

Besides global entry app credit and waiving my cc annual fee, what else can I do to use whatever remaining benefit I have as a 1k?

Thanks!
Is waiving the CC Annual Fee a published benefit?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...23136C4B19292E
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Hi!

Thanks!
I would think you'd want to go down swinging and list all of the reasons (complaints) why you didn't re-gain your 1K status. I'm sure you can get plenty of help here if you're having any trouble remembering.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Wasn't aware, thank you!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you have any outstanding awards, or need an award, I would do it this week to avoid charges and to have access to any enhanced inventory given to 1Ks (assuming you didn't earn Plat for the new benefit year) I would make any changes or cancellations.

However, you can't really claim the Global Entry fee rebate until your current card expires, though suppose you can apply if you haven't already since they take the money first. But IIRC you must also show you've qualified and been accepted before the rebate is processed, and that is unlikely to happen in the ten days left.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Hi!

Thanks!
If you have flights you need to book for later in the year, and want to confirm a premium cabin seat at booking, as long as you are a 1K you can book an M fare and get a (space available) instant upgrade to a premium cabin, compared to the Y/B fares required for other elites. This is a great 1K benefit in my experience, and from what I have read here (although I have no personal experience with it), as long as book while a 1K the upgrade sticks even though your status may drop in the interim.

Good luck!

Tim
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Fly a bunch and get CPUs?

Trade away your GPUs and RPUs?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
book a last minute trip and have a major DYKWIA scene on the GA when your CPU/instrument doesnt clear?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I'd like to do something with the swus and such, but where do I go to do that since that's prohibited here? As for global entry I have a call in on Monday to figure out my stairs with the code (saw the long thread already). Finally, I guess I better book tickets now but I wish there was a.way to do this without tying up credit and funds...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to stick with UA. I'm a former CO flyer and have been booking away after several bad experiences.

I've been trying quite hard (but not succeeding) in finding people taking international trips who can use my GPUs. I don't want anything for them, but want to ensure they get used. Out of about a dozen people I've tried, only one had a flight that wasn't in an "unacceptable" fare bucket. They expire on the 31st. Hopefully I can find someone with a good use for them before then.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbfan222
my bad. "$60 statement credit"
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the reminder about Global Entry. I never got around to applying for it, but managed to get my voucher code (in the form of a prepaid Mastercard) from United and applied!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
book a last minute trip and have a major DYKWIA scene on the GA when your CPU/instrument doesnt clear?
If, as a 1K, you book a ticket now departing after Feb. 1st and your status expires in the interim - will the ticket still be CPU eligible? And are there any other negative changes that happen after status expires when you booked a ticket beforehand?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bribro
If, as a 1K, you book a ticket now departing after Feb. 1st and your status expires in the interim - will the ticket still be CPU eligible? And are there any other negative changes that happen after status expires when you booked a ticket beforehand?
I'd like to know the answer to that myself - I am currently Plat but the status expires next week - I made a booking few weeks ago and flew the outbound but the return is not until mid-February, after status has lapsed. Currently, the reservation says I'm CPU eligible even though status expires before travel date. Will that remain after 1/31 or does the eligibility tie in to the MP number and status level at whatever times the system checks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.