Will run out of GPU in Feburary

Old Jan 19, 13, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
I guess I look at it a little differently. 1Ks get 6 Systemwides Upgrades (now referred to as GPUs). So if you achieve 1K status, no matter how you get it, you should get all the benefits of that status, which would include 6 Systemwides.

But UA, excuse me, I mean CO, won't do that. They took the worst of both programs and put them together to form the new and improved MileagePlus program.
No. The GPUs and RPUs are awarded for the miles flown, not reaching status. Here's the language relative to RPUs: "Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS earned thereafter." Do you see anything about status in this statement? What status earns them RPUs #5 and 6? Super 1k? No, it's flying 125k miles.

It doesn't say they are earned because of Platinum, or 1k, or "super1k" status. They are coincidental, but the miles earn both the status plus the upgrade instruments. It's pretty straight-forward.
Old Jan 19, 13, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
One gets 6 SWUs for flying 100k miles, not for being 1k. One happens to qualify for 1k at the same time.
mostly correct -- However Lifetime 3MM 1Ks will receive 6 GPUs even if that do not fly 100K, however if they do fly 100K they only receive 1 set of GPUs.

As for MM Companion 1Ks, agree with ever one else, no GPUs unless they fly 100K.

And regarding the lawsuit, if we get our 2 RPUs restored it would be a major victory, the MM threshold SWU/GPUs have never really been a major issue in the FTer discussions, let alone any other GPUs.

I guess I look at it a little differently. 1Ks get 6 Systemwides Upgrades (now referred to as GPUs). So if you achieve 1K status, no matter how you get it, you should get all the benefits of that status, which would include 6 Systemwides. ....
that's not the way it works, and this is not a PMUA/PMCO issue. PMUA had 1Ks without SWUs in some special cases.
Old Jan 20, 13, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Can someone explain how to best use the GPU's on international travel before they expire? I don't want to take a crap shot on an upgrade only to get stuck in coach and UA rarely shows upgradable international inventory. I know I'm naive about this, but is there some way I can learn how to effectively utilize the darn things...?
Old Jan 20, 13, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
No. The GPUs and RPUs are awarded for the miles flown, not reaching status. Here's the language relative to RPUs: "Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS earned thereafter." Do you see anything about status in this statement? What status earns them RPUs #5 and 6? Super 1k? No, it's flying 125k miles.

It doesn't say they are earned because of Platinum, or 1k, or "super1k" status. They are coincidental, but the miles earn both the status plus the upgrade instruments. It's pretty straight-forward.
It's pretty straight-forward if you want to go into airline protection mode.

Guess what. With United, you could make Global Services with flying less than 100,000 miles, be given 1K status, AND get 6 Systemwides.

It's pretty straight-forward, you could make 1K and get Systemwides based on being given the status--without flying 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
That's not the way it works, and this is not a PMUA/PMCO issue. PMUA had 1Ks without SWUs in some special cases.
What special cases were those?

Assuming that to be true, as set forth above, United also had 1Ks who had not flown 100,000 miles and did receive Systemwides, so it IS a pre-UA vs. pre-CO issue.
Old Jan 20, 13, 6:36 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by misdirected baggage View Post
Can someone explain how to best use the GPU's on international travel before they expire? I don't want to take a crap shot on an upgrade only to get stuck in coach and UA rarely shows upgradable international inventory. I know I'm naive about this, but is there some way I can learn how to effectively utilize the darn things...?
Look for positive space on you preferred flights
Book metal with the most J seats
Try to fly midweek or non-peak times for that route
Try a different routing like EWR-IAD-NRT instead of EWR-NRT
Purchase a higher fare class for better upgrade priority

SunLover
Old Jan 20, 13, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty straight-forward if you want to go into airline protection mode.

Guess what. With United, you could make Global Services with flying less than 100,000 miles, be given 1K status, AND get 6 Systemwides.

It's pretty straight-forward, you could make 1K and get Systemwides based on being given the status--without flying 100k.....
I'm not in "airline protection mode", i'm just stating what it is, not what it was. The fact remains (and what is useful information currently) is that the instruments, outside of the exemption mentioned by Wine Country) are awarded on basis of mileage hurdles. The language is clear - speaking of miles, not status. Even the status benefits chart mentions "eligibility", leaving UA the option to grant status w/o granting GPUs/RPUs.

Reminiscing is fine, but it's not useful information if you suggest that that the OP's partner will be getting SWUs when he/she gets 1k via nomination from MM match, not flying the miles. The language clearly states the mileage requirement for the instruments. The partner will not have flown the miles to qualify for the instruments.

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage View Post
...UA rarely shows upgradable international inventory..?
Really?

I find lots of inventory as a 1k. You just need to be flexible. If you're looking for something on specific dates, can't find anything and extrapolate that into "UA rarely shows international inventory", that's sort of defeatist.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 13 at 7:39 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 20, 13, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fudnamental problem here is that some people think that the merger was what caused the changes which they perceive as bad for them. The reality is that both carriers' poor economic choices in response to a poor economy caused the conditions which led to the need for the merger and a reassessment of who gets what.

In the end, there are only a fixed # of premium seats to be had. Once those aren't sold as F/C, the question is, who gets those seats? UA can hand out GPU's like candy, as some want, to the companion's of certain elites, but that doesn't change the # of seats available for the now larger # of GPU's.

All of this just means more GPU's chasing the same # of premium seats. So guess what -- fewer GPU's clear. Then, there's a rant to the effect, "my GPU's never clear!!!"

Your competition for a freebie premium seat is your fellow flyer. If you think that the seat ought to go to your companion over someone who flies, that's a perfectly legitimate opinion. But, from the UA perspective, the purpose of GPU's, just like any aspect of a loyalty program, isn't to reward you for the past, it's to incentivize you to spend in the future.
Old Jan 20, 13, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
Look for positive space on you preferred flights
Book metal with the most J seats
Try to fly midweek or non-peak times for that route
Try a different routing like EWR-IAD-NRT instead of EWR-NRT
Purchase a higher fare class for better upgrade priority

SunLover
You forgot to mention cross your fingers and hope that it's a blue moon...
Old Jan 20, 13, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
....The fact remains (and what is useful information currently) is that the instruments, outside of the exemption mentioned by Wine Country) are awarded on basis of mileage hurdles. ....
there were PMUA promos / contests where folks could nominate / share 1K status with others. In some cases the gifted status included SWUs and in other cases it did not. By in large, except in some limited corner case situations, your statement is a reasonable representation of the PMUA practice.
Old Jan 20, 13, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
there were PMUA promos / contests where folks could nominate / share 1K status with others. In some cases the gifted status included SWUs and in other cases it did not. By in large, except in some limited corner case situations, your statement is a reasonable representation of the PMUA practice.
It was what it was and it is what it is...hopefully UA is done with those promos.
Old Jan 20, 13, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It was what it was and it is what it is...hopefully UA is done with those promos.
They were quite innovative and actually incentivized flyers to keep flying even once past their status levels.

Doubt we'll see that type of marketing innovation going forward.
Old Jan 20, 13, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjj0002 View Post
Looks I will meet 1k this year again, but will be painful given most of remaining year will be in international coach.
I heard there is a forum where people donte the unused GPU, can someone please tell me how to find it?

Also, will expect to be 1MM soon, by then will my companion get 6 GPU too?

Thanks.
I guess you are referring to Coupon Connection, but a Silver has a better chance of getting a CPU on EWR-SFO on a PMCO 752 then , people posting on CC begging for folks to take there unused GPUs, or RPUs.

Now there are from time to time some folks who do post and want their Certs to be used rather then go towaste. But usually thats done < 7 days to go in the month, and now once we pass 1/31 I believe all the rest of the Certs will exp 1/31/14. usually it goe sto a person who can be Confirmed then and there rather then being WL and maybe not clearing and then too late to sponsor anyone else

I suggest you read a few threads on CC so as to get knowledgable of what you will need to offer in orderto get a GPU or RPU
Old Jan 20, 13, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
They were quite innovative and actually incentivized flyers to keep flying even once past their status levels.

Doubt we'll see that type of marketing innovation going forward.
Unfortunately, BIS flyers end up subsidizing (sort of..) the promotions UA runs by the increased competition for the available perks. It's nice if you're a beneficiary, but an annoyance - at least to me. But, it is UA's option to annoy me...
Old Jan 20, 13, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
OP...go to coupon connection and you can trade 2 RPUs for a GPU. It sucks that RPUs are so hard to earn now but at least you can get another couple GPUs.
Old Jan 20, 13, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
OP...go to coupon connection ....
perhaps an option but as discussed earlier OP is not yet eligible for CC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: