Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Keeping this on the topic of pricing, I wonder if the pricing was less about revenue and more as a tool to prevent straining the system.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/united...wi-fi-free-too

While it surprises me that Kirby would give up the revenue voluntary (even if that’s what was originally intended), the gift of free direct tv in Y was also unexpected.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:30 am

WIFI EWR to MUC

I am flying to Munich next month and wondering if anyone can share their experience with Wifi. Trying to work on the flight

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2019 at 10:39 am Reason: corrected airport code
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by distrips
I am flying to Munich next month and wondering if anyone can share their experience with Wifi. Trying to work on the flight
UA offers internet access on that flight. UA's in-flight internet access has had its issues but does seem to be getting better -- UA has acknowledged the issue and has been revamping the systems.

There is no inherent reason you will not have internet access but it would be prudent to have a backup plan -- such as downloading needed files in advance as there is a chance you might not have full access for the whole flight. Anyone's prior experience does not you much good if your experience is different.

Other UA Wifi threads
UA Free WiFi Starting sometime in 2020???
United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2019 at 10:46 am Reason: Other UA Wifi threads
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Question 6 Kbps

I flew business class (Polaris) a couple of weeks ago and there was free wifi. I had never used onboard wifi before. Is it always this slow? It took me 15 minutes to pull up a text-only email. I checked my internet speed and it said I was getting 6 Kbps download speed. I'm glad I didn't pay for the wifi.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There’s 1) free WiFi entertainment (and limited access to United and partner sites, plus some text capability) and 2) internet access for purchase. Are you confusing the two? Sounds like you did not purchase internet access. Assuming purchased access would only be 6kbps is a bit of a jump.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 18, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iowa guy
...6 Kbps download speed. .....
6 kps is not common but there is occasionally slow wifi .
Appears you may have been on one of the recent free trial wifi flights where UA s test the consequences / system handling ability of free wifi.

In the past 6 months, I have had (subscription) purchased wifi access (mostly domestic and mainline), 80% of the flight time, things have worked well for email / browsing (I do not connect to bandwidth-intensive systems), 10% sluggish wifi, 10% no or very low bandwidth access at various time during the flight. Common to all in any one flight. Overall much better than a year ago when I was getting no-wifi ever on 1/3 to 1/2 of flights.

I tend to have 2 -3 roundtrips in a 30 day period and then 30-40 days of no flights -- purchase the 1-month subscriptions ($49) for the 2-3 roundtrips. And I get reimbursed by the credit card as an airline fee.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:57 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears you may have been on one of the recent free trial wifi flights where UA s test the consequences / system handling ability of free wifi..
I was on one of those "free" Wi-Fi trial flights yesterday where the Wi-Fi was totally inoperable for the entire flight, naturally.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Almost every Google app--the Gmail app on my phone, Gmail in my browser, Google searches on my laptop--worked for free on this afternoon's ORD-PDX 737-operated flight, much as they did on a flight from ORD to LAS last month on a 737. I even had Facebook and Twitter notifications arriving on my phone, and I could read articles suggested by Google Now if they were AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages format) pages hosted on Google's cache. That last workaround also worked on a 764 a week ago.

My guess is that UA uses enough Google Analytics code on its WiFi portal that they've had to whitelist a lot of Google sites. That would explain Gmail and search working, and I will hypothesize that the Facebook and Twitter apps use Google's cloud messaging service on Android. But it doesn't explain why I could use Gmail on a 737 but not a 767; does the smaller plane having a Thales satellite-Internet system and the bigger one using a Panasonic setup make enough of a difference?

Weirder yet, a friend with an iPhone on the same PDX flight said Apple News also worked even though he didn't pay. I welcome your theories about that.

The reason why is pretty well known. The United app is supposed to work for free on the planes which also means push notifications for the united app should work. The push notifications are sent by either Google or Apple through the respective companies servers so domains from both of these companies are whitelisted to work for free just like the united domain. This has a side effect that unless you whitelist more specific push notification domains for each of those companies which is a more difficult task and may not be possible on some systems, then things served by the company for any of its services will work.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Qantas FF & Qatar Privilege Club
How would you all rank United's WiFi types (Panasonic, Thales, Gogo, ViaSat) in terms of speeds and reliability?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This is odd. A few days ago I flew SFO-TPE and purchased 2 hours for $15.99. I can’t remember what the cost for the full flight was, I think around $35?
Anyway, now on the return, 1 hour is $1.99, 2 hours is $2.99 and full flight is $15.99.
What gives?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
This is odd. A few days ago I flew SFO-TPE and purchased 2 hours for $15.99. I can’t remember what the cost for the full flight was, I think around $35?
Anyway, now on the return, 1 hour is $1.99, 2 hours is $2.99 and full flight is $15.99.
What gives?
Totally random pricing, maybe based on perceived demand or the perceived demographics of the customers - last week I flew YYZ DEN and the full flight was $15, connecting to DEN-SNA where the full flight was $28.

This weekend I flew Alaska, and was I surprised to find their Wifi streaming selection of movies and TV shows on a 737 had more content than a Polaris 777
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:42 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This weekend I flew Alaska, and was I surprised to find their Wifi streaming selection of movies and TV shows on a 737 had more content than a Polaris 777
The IFE movies/TV have really taken a header on UA over the last 5-6 years. Agree that it is shocking when on other carriers.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold
Hi,

I look at my planned travel and make a decision to subscribe based on that. But this week my first flight of the month IAD to SAN fight had no service - announced and checked multiple times. Any chance of compensation on this ?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Anyone know why certain websites seem to be blocked/non-functional on united? WSJ and reddit seem to me consistently non-functional on panasonic equipped a/c.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:45 am

WiFi our the atlantic

WiFi on 777s overseas satellite or only work when you are over land?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.