Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Do any UA flight, particularly international ones, have Go Go access?.
UX aircraft that have wifi and the pmUA 752s use the GoGo. All the rest of the mainline aircraft are not GoGo. So no international flights.For more on the providers UA uses, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ight/wifi.html
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
$30.99 for EWR-HKG Dec 27th. I realize it's a 16 hour flight, but couldn't there be a reasonable cap on this charge? There may be the occasional person who works the entire time, but I would guess the average usage must be considerably less (assuming most people want to get some sleep). A comparable hotel basic WiFi charge (which, like this one, doesn't support streaming) is around $8.00 at most for 24 hours ($0 for certain elite members).

I would think a 4 hour mid-con flight with a high percentage of business travelers would tax UA's WiFi network much more than this flight.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I get free GoGo wifi through T Mobile One Plus account. Of course it's not so great if you want to use the tablet though.
As I learned on Dec 20 from GoGo support (while in the air), despite UX using GoGo, United does not participate in the free GoGo bundled with the T Mobile One Plus.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I just flew Ua917, sfo to akl.

it was offered for 21.99 for whole flint.

seems to be a good price compared to other routes but I slept.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well I just flew Ua917, sfo to akl.

it was offered for 21.99 for whole flint.

seems to be a good price compared to other routes but I slept.
I guess on the basis of length of flight your 21.99 SFO-AKL was a better deal than my offer of 19.99 DEN-ORD tonight Seriously, I have no idea what United is thinking here.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Maybe they figure most people will sleep since it departed SFO around 11 PM.

So they had to sweeten the offer to get you to buy.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: CO
What's the verdict on 787-9 WiFi? Have an upcoming LAX-SYD and would like to stay connected. Most of my international experience has been with the 763 and that's been pretty awful WiFi
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by nikbruno
What's the verdict on 787-9 WiFi? Have an upcoming LAX-SYD and would like to stay connected. Most of my international experience has been with the 763 and that's been pretty awful WiFi
IME, there's always at minimum a 3 hour outage over the south pacific, and it's about 50/50 as to whether it works at all to SYD, but maybe I'm just cursed.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:31 am

Whats up with the sudden jump in WiFi prices?

What the heck? Last week I flew to IAH and it was $12.99 + tax for the full flight, today I fly back to ORD and its a significant amount more, now $13.99 for only 30 mins of WiFi time and damn near $20 for a less than 2 hour flight. These were once transcon/ATL crossing prices...

Did something change over the last few days? Anyone else notice a drastic increase in the pricing?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
It might be United's retaliation against a certain T-Shirt.

Last edited by narvik; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
It might be United's retaliation against a certain T-Shirt.
But wouldn't this just make more people want to wear that shirt? ; )
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chavala
But wouldn't this just make more people want to wear that shirt? ; )
If you see the shirt on a UA flight and you want to rder it right away you need Internet access!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:00 pm

Is it me getting lucky with WiFi or is this some sort of plan by United? I flew end of Dec and just today domestically. I usually just leave my device in airplane mode, but in both instances I decided to check the flight progress through the United app. Both times, I flipped on WiFi, connected, and wow notifications came in left and right. To confirm my suspicions I would check out other websites which seemed to work just fine.

I'm posting this on my supposedly free WiFi. A/C in Dec was 738 and today is a Max 9

Speedtest shows 14.1mbps down, 0.16mbps up on the Max 9
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Most expensive wifi I've seen for full flight so far. EWR-LAX $40.99. Luckily I had gogo coupon to redeem.

Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Most expensive wifi I've seen for full flight so far. EWR-LAX $40.99. ...
A month of domestic flights is $49

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.