Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
SAN-SFO yesterday on a 319 the only option was $5.99 for the full flight. Much better deal than what I've been seeing lately.
That's excellent. I now regularly see $30+ on TATL and TPAC and ~$16 on west coast hops. Getting borderline ridiculous.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfo789
That's excellent. I now regularly see $30+ on TATL and TPAC and ~$16 on west coast hops. Getting borderline ridiculous.
"Borderline" is kind.

It was over $30 on both of my recent TPACs and until yesterday it's been averaging $5/hour or more on my domestic segments the past few months. I would only buy at those prices if I had a work crisis. Not so much the $$, just hate being gouged.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
It was over $30 on both of my recent TPACs and until yesterday it's been averaging $5/hour or more on my domestic segments the past few months. I would only buy at those prices if I had a work crisis. Not so much the $$, just hate being gouged.
Agreed. I wonder if they've found that this exorbitant price is the threshold between maximizing profit and minimizing complaints? If so, it may push me over to B6 once my current booked flights are over. Somehow they manage to keep wifi fast and free for all.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Agreed. I wonder if they've found that this exorbitant price is the threshold between maximizing profit and minimizing complaints?
I was wondering the same thing, as it followed a period where they were clearly experimenting with prices.

At that price point, most takers will be those who can charge it to work. And they may be less likely to request a refund.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:39 pm

I was wondering the same thing, as it followed a period where they were clearly experimenting with prices.

At that price point, most takers will be those who can charge it to work. And they may be less likely to request a refund.
It's a pity that, as always with UA, IMO they've failed to include overall satisfaction as a metric in their equation. Dozens of travelers per flight finding that wifi is exorbitant isn't exactly a customer-friendly move.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Took more than an hour for the internet on UAL715 IAH-IAD to start working today. Local webserver was fine, but anything connecting to the internet was screwed despite saying "Internet available".
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

$19.99 on SFO-IAD and speed was abysmal for the entire flight. The only thing that seemed to work occasionally was email and the flight information page.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by altbg
$19.99 on SFO-IAD and speed was abysmal for the entire flight. The only thing that seemed to work occasionally was email and the flight information page.
Request a refund via the United.com refunds page. The times I've had particularly poor wifi performance, I've always requested and received a refund.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
It's a pity that, as always with UA, IMO they've failed to include overall satisfaction as a metric in their equation. Dozens of travelers per flight finding that wifi is exorbitant isn't exactly a customer-friendly move.
Hardly unique to UA. Gogo went on record a couple years ago saying that they were jacking the price of the service up in hopes that fewer people would buy it because they know they don't have sufficient capacity to serve the demand.

UA is in the same situation now, mostly pending a hardware upgrade set to start in the next couple months and run into early 2018 that should significantly improve service.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Flying EWR-SAN tomorrow. First time I will be flying this route and internet access would be nice. Is it better to buy on gogoair.com beforehand or wait on board to buy access? I am seeing a price of $19 for an all-day pass on gogoair.com.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
Flying EWR-SAN tomorrow. First time I will be flying this route and internet access would be nice. Is it better to buy on gogoair.com beforehand or wait on board to buy access? I am seeing a price of $19 for an all-day pass on gogoair.com.
Always better to buy beforehand if you're certain the route is covered by Gogo. Roughly half price. But again, only if the equipment onboard is Gogo's.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
That route will NOT have service from Gogo. You're flying on a 737 that will have the ViaSat satellite service. Buy on board is the only option.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
$24.99 (!) on this mornings 777 SFO-EWR. Abysmal speed and frequent connection problems.

for this insane pricing a marginal reliabilty improvement would be nice.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:36 am

Flight's WiFi Provider?

I'm flying to BOS-HKG tomorrow and trying to track down who is providing wifi. On my last transcon I thought I'd received an email indicating GoGo was the provider, but I haven't received anything for this trip.

Is there anyway to tell in advance who is providing the service for the following flights?
UA207 - BOS-SFO
UA869 - SFO-HKG
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by dangma
I'm flying to BOS-HKG tomorrow and trying to track down who is providing wifi. On my last transcon I thought I'd received an email indicating GoGo was the provider, but I haven't received anything for this trip.

Is there anyway to tell in advance who is providing the service for the following flights?
UA207 - BOS-SFO
UA869 - SFO-HKG
Panasonic for both.
Originally Posted by demkr
for this insane pricing a marginal reliabilty improvement would be nice.
Gonna be a couple months until those HW upgrades begin, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.