Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Domestic pricing is $10 non-members, $8 MileagePlus member and with 25% discount using Chase MP card to pay for each domestic segment. No longer offering day pass but monthly and annual subscription packages exists,
International segments tend to run between $20-$35 but occasionally less.
T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free On Board Wifi on US Airlines...
Free in-flight messaging coming (FB Messenger, Apple iMessage, WhatsApp)

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

All mainline aurcraft have Internet access and the larger UX (non-50 seaters) have GoGo wifi

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights

Thread Archive: Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by SilverGGA
Flight is tomorrow. UA website has been offering $35 wi-fi for the SFO->HKG route. I had to get some work done so was planning to sign up for it before departure. Today, however, the option is greyed out for the SFO->HKG leg, but only shows available for the return leg. Does that mean no Wi-Fi is available for that flight? Or is it "sold-out"?

Will I be able to purchase in-flight?

Also, anyone knows how the charge shows up if Wi-Fi is purchased in-flight? Wondering if it will qualify for Amex Plat credit.
you ever find out if AMEX plat will cover the wifi charges?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Pricing seems to really depend on time-of-day, i.e. demand. I did the same thing on my LAX-AKL 2100-0725 and AKL-SFO 1550-0700–buying 2 hours prior to landing to clear out emails before short I-to-D connections. They probably figured out people who buy 1 or 2 hours tend to do that before landing, or that their American majority customers tend to buy 1-2 h before landing in a foreign country rather than returning home. I paid $8.49/2h before NZ but $3.99/2h before SFO. SFO-LAX <2 h was much more expensive!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by flobowcav
you ever find out if AMEX plat will cover the wifi charges?
Yes the Amex Plat airline credit covers wifi charges.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:35 am

2/2/24 SFO-SYD: $23.99. I think that's pretty good.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:23 am

I bought streaming, fast internet on my United flight RSW-DEN for $8. My only reason for doing so was so I could Play chess on the app chess.com

the WiFi works perfectly - I can steam video, stream music, load sites instantly. But it won’t allow me to connect to chess.com. I’ve tried the url and the app several times. Is this blocked for some reason?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by dval44
I bought streaming, fast internet on my United flight RSW-DEN for $8. My only reason for doing so was so I could Play chess on the app chess.com

the WiFi works perfectly - I can steam video, stream music, load sites instantly. But it won’t allow me to connect to chess.com. I’ve tried the url and the app several times. Is this blocked for some reason?
It's possible that chess.com is categorized by the internet vendor as some kind of gambling / gaming site, and United has asked to block those kinds of sites on their planes.

Last edited by elitelite; Feb 10, 2024 at 6:55 am Reason: Adding quote
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
EWR-HND $21.99 ---> $0.00
  • Everything works fine initially
  • An hour into the flight the internet suddenly stops
  • Announcement 1: "Sorry, internet went kaput, and will stay kaput for rest of flight. We've initiated refund for anyone who paid for it."
  • A few minutes later, announcement 2: "We're going to restart the whole system. Maybe internet will come back, maybe not."
  • Internet comes back, and remains available for rest of flight

Charged $21.99, but fully refunded a few hours later.

Us:
Kirby:
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Bringing up an old question. How is the wifi working on the 777HDs between the West Coast and Hawai'i these days? When I flew DEN-HNL in 2022, it supposedly worked an hour after we left the West Coast and came back on an hour before landing in Honolulu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.