Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting Aer Lingus (EI) flights to United (UA) to Earn MileagePlus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award mileage earning table for EI flights crediting to MP
Earning miles on Aer Lingus flights
Earn MileagePlus miles according to the booking class that you purchase on qualifying Aer Lingus-operated flights:
  • Between North America and Ireland
  • Between London and Belfast, Cork, Dublin, or Shannon
  • Between Dublin and Birmingham or Manchester
Deep discount economy is non-mileage earning
No PQM earning
PQD earning only if on 016 / UA ticket stock and fare class is mileage earning

related thread
Any elite benefits when flying Aer Lingus/* Gold Lounge Access?
Print Wikipost

Crediting Aer Lingus (EI) flights to United (UA) to Earn MileagePlus Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Question Crediting Aer Lingus (EI) flights to United (UA) to Earn MileagePlus Miles?

Will I accrue miles to my mileage plus account on ANY Aer Lingus flight? I'll be going to Ireland, first flight to Boston or Chicago on United and second leg will be Aer Lingus. Just want to make sure I get the miles for the second leg. Thank you!

Last edited by J.Edward; May 18, 2016 at 3:24 pm Reason: update title
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:36 am

Not sure about any. My flights from DUB to MAN and GLA never posted. There was not enough revenue spent to generate AE to give miles to UA
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Has anyone earned miles from a Boston -> Dublin flight?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hbdevore
Has anyone earned miles from a Boston -> Dublin flight?
Even if you did get RDM, the miles aren't PQM (they don't count for status.)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:27 pm

If I book a flight (say, through Orbitz) on Aer Lingus that also has a codeshare with United, but I don't actually book the United codeshare flight number, can I still get credit for MileagePlus? Even though my ticket has only EI flight numbers on it?

Sorry if this is confusing.

And this is probably a really dumb follow-up. Again, if I book on say Orbitz, how do I choose which frequent flyer program the points go to? I'm also a member of the (albeit useless) Aer Lingus program. I want to be sure i get the MileagePlus credit and not Aer Lingus.

How do airlines stop it going to both?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 20, 2013 at 4:35 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Current MP mileage accrual for Aer Lingus:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=438

I think it used to be that the only Aer Lingus flight you got PQMs on was IAD-MAD (at least, when I flew this a couple of years ago it was treated just like a UA flight). Don't know if this is still the case.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qmacker
And this is probably a really dumb follow-up. Again, if I book on say Orbitz, how do I choose which frequent flyer program the points go to? I'm also a member of the (albeit useless) Aer Lingus program. I want to be sure i get the MileagePlus credit and not Aer Lingus.

How do airlines stop it going to both?
At booking you will be asked to enter a frequent flier program number. If you wish to credit to UA, enter your Mileage Plus number.

Note that MP credit on EI is limited. Details are here: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=438

I might ask why you would consider booking through Orbitz. It is almost always better to book directly with the airline.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:46 am

Thanks Kacee. You are right, I should probably usually book it with the airline. I just use Orbitz a lot of times looking things up, and they have my details so sometimes i just go with them.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Does anyone know if Aer Lingus will charge a checked baggage fee for a UA Gold member? This is for a DUB-MUC flight. Flying EWR-DUB on a UA flight and then on to MUC, booked as a separate itinerary. Would I be able to interline the checked baggage between the UA and Aer Lingus flights?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Does anyone know if Aer Lingus will charge a checked baggage fee for a UA Gold member? This is for a DUB-MUC flight. Flying EWR-DUB on a UA flight and then on to MUC, booked as a separate itinerary. Would I be able to interline the checked baggage between the UA and Aer Lingus flights?
A) No PQM miles on EI as far as I can determine. Also in terms of MQM, the fare classes needed are usually pretty high. I usually get route from LHR to DUB on them now since BD left *A. Never ever received miles for these hops.

B) The baggage is black hole of information. No one actually knows.
See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mbo-etc-9.html

But my previous experience has been that I could check 1 bag for free and it was interlined. Above that - all bets are off.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

United Miles with Aer Lingus?

Hi

The United website seems to imply you only get miles with Aer Lingus if you fly Ireland to the U.K. Is that people's experience?

"Earn MileagePlus® miles according to the booking class that you purchase on qualifying Aer Lingus-operated flights:

Between North America and Ireland
Between London and Dublin, Cork, Shannon* or Belfast
Between Dublin and Manchester* or Birmingham*"

I want to fly Dublin to Portugal with Aer Lingus. Has anyone experience with booking such flights to maximize miles and service. Should we book via Aer Lingus website or can we use the cheaper 3rd party site and still get the same miles/service.

I'm a MP Gold and wife MP silver.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi

The United website seems to imply you only get miles with Aer Lingus if you fly Ireland to the U.K. Is that people's experience?

"Earn MileagePlus® miles according to the booking class that you purchase on qualifying Aer Lingus-operated flights:

Between North America and Ireland
Between London and Dublin, Cork, Shannon* or Belfast
Between Dublin and Manchester* or Birmingham*"

I want to fly Dublin to Portugal with Aer Lingus. Has anyone experience with booking such flights to maximize miles and service. Should we book via Aer Lingus website or can we use the cheaper 3rd party site and still get the same miles/service.

I'm a MP Gold and wife MP silver.

Thanks.
You can't earn UA miles on EI flights between Dublin and Continental Europe. EI only awards UA miles for the routes you list above and then only for their middle & higher fare codes.

I think the EI partnership is just to fill-in the Ireland route gap in UA's service. IMO, it's not intended to be a full alliance like partner such as LH. There is a rumor, however, that EI is up for sale and UA is one of the potential buyers.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by kenn0223
There is a rumor, however, that EI is up for sale and UA is one of the potential buyers.
Ryanair does keep trying to buy them. Haven't heard much about UA being a potential buyer, though.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:56 am

EI Codeshare

Am travelling pretty soon SNN-BOS-LAX, booked through UA with the SNN-BOS leg operated by Aer Lingus. My question is, will I be able to check in on US.com at t-24 (24 hrs before the EI flight) for at least the BOS-LAX leg in order to secure the coveted upgrade to (very limited) availability E+ as Premier Silver? Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No.

You might be able to check in on united.com at 24 hours prior to the BOS-LAX segment but the initial check-in for the SNN-BOS has to happen with EI, not UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.