Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Did My CPU (Upgrade) Not Clear?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2.7 million miler)
There is an hour to go for the EWR-HKG flight. I was sixth in the upgrade line with just one seat open. I asked if there is a cash option to upgrade and they just sold me the last seat for 1199. Welcome to the new United and forget about your SWUs. It's cold, hard cash now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
Originally Posted by DiscountBusinessFlyer
There is an hour to go for the EWR-HKG flight. I was sixth in the upgrade line with just one seat open. I asked if there is a cash option to upgrade and they just sold me the last seat for 1199. Welcome to the new United and forget about your SWUs. It's cold, hard cash now.
What do you expect??? There are people like you who are buying this stuff.. LOL
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2.7 million miler)
Originally Posted by GergoryWilson
What do you expect??? There are people like you who are buying this stuff.. LOL
True, dat. But that's the only way to upgrade on Dollar Airlines. Will end up forfeiting the SWUs, just like last year.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
True, dat. But that's the only way to upgrade on Dollar Airlines. Will end up forfeiting the SWUs, just like last year.
i'm not sure what SWUs are... but I mean if you're 1k, 6th on the list, and going for 8k miles.. you're on a popular flight.. nothing United can do. lol
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Because my aircraft is an A319?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by repcool
I am on a flight in 8 hours with 2 free seats on the seat map. i am top of the list but not yet upgraded. its just that those seats are not yet available for CPU's. Nothing new there.
Seat maps are not true identifier for actual seats available...
Old May 28, 2013, 5:32 pm

R5 R8 on a MARRIED SEGMENT flight 68 hours from now. PP, this should have cleared a few hours ago (T-72).

So, I cancelled my afternoon meetings at the office, pressed "1" on my speed dial for United Airlines, and began jotting down all the excuses in the world (vary by rep) until I received one that convinced me enough to stop calling. It all came down to my name.

Supervisor at web support says she is reviewing a FAQ document and this issue occurs when a name in the reservation does not match exactly with UA profile name. In my case, reservation is missing "Mr." She added it. And it wasn't complete Bravo Sierra, she did add "Mr" and sent me a new e-receipt to prove it. Without this, she says, I will be bypassed on the CPU list.

Next step: Wait for the next sweet of upgrades tomorrow, presumeably I'll clear before the Golds if this was truly the issue.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by DBCme
Supervisor at web support says she is reviewing a FAQ document and this issue occurs when a name in the reservation does not match exactly with UA profile name. In my case, reservation is missing "Mr." She added it. And it wasn't complete Bravo Sierra, she did add "Mr" and sent me a new e-receipt to prove it. Without this, she says, I will be bypassed on the CPU list.
fascinating if true.

explains a lot about my current problems and potentially why i have not been upgraded on a ticket booked via concur in an eternity (certainly since 3/3 save one flight that was rebooked on the phone with UA, and one on the battle field).

so if my name on my UA profile is "mr. donald r. duck", but i book with a OTA as "donald duck" or even "donald r. duck" and my UAMP number, this will not work for the purposes of CPU (at least according to this rep)?

if so that is not only completely assanine but also excessively frustrating. i have no idea how I am going to get concur to work the same way as .bomb.

please report back.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DBCme
R5 R8 on a MARRIED SEGMENT flight 68 hours from now. PP, this should have cleared a few hours ago (T-72).

So, I cancelled my afternoon meetings at the office, pressed "1" on my speed dial for United Airlines, and began jotting down all the excuses in the world (vary by rep) until I received one that convinced me enough to stop calling. It all came down to my name.

Next step: Wait for the next sweet of upgrades tomorrow, presumeably I'll clear before the Golds if this was truly the issue.
This sounds like complete nonsense. The existence of R availability does not mean that CPUs will be handed out. The name issue is a red herring.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
fascinating if true.

explains a lot about my current problems and potentially why i have not been upgraded on a ticket booked via concur in an eternity (certainly since 3/3 save one flight that was rebooked on the phone with UA, and one on the battle field).

so if my name on my UA profile is "mr. donald r. duck", but i book with a OTA as "donald duck" or even "donald r. duck" and my UAMP number, this will not work for the purposes of CPU (at least according to this rep)?

if so that is not only completely assanine but also excessively frustrating. i have no idea how I am going to get concur to work the same way as .bomb.

please report back.
Time will tell. I'll check back tomorrow, montoring how the R buckets change in each segment pre and post sweep. I'm giving UA benefit of the doubt here because this particular reservation was booked through Expedia (not thru my UA profile) and did in fact not include "Mr." We shall see...
Old May 28, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
This sounds like complete nonsense. The existence of R availability does not mean that CPUs will be handed out. The name issue is a red herring.
agreed. This sounds like b.s. to me. R>0 does not guarantee CPU.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
agreed. This sounds like b.s. to me. R>0 does not guarantee CPU.
Correlation if not causation, and R2 is damn close to 1
Old May 29, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
A bit of a generalization. in the last 6 months my last three longhaul trip trips, 2 to Europe and one to EZE, used my SWU's successfully on all legs.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
A bit of a generalization. in the last 6 months my last three longhaul trip trips, 2 to Europe and one to EZE, used my SWU's successfully on all legs.
Did you confirm the UGs at booking or after T-100? I've had 100% success getting GPU's to clear at booking, but I'm well under 50% otherwise.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:16 am

Update: T-47 hours

-Name on reservation not matching that on UA profile - was corrected yesterday. Waited for next sweep this morning, no upgrade.
But it doesn't appear anyone's upgrades processed on either segment, both showing booked 13/24 and 14/24 which is similar to yesterday.

-Called today, UA agent says, "the honest answer is...we don't know why these problems happen." .Com agent says, "Upgrade should have happened, I will put in a priority message" to the technology team to review this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.