Status of United's 787 Fleet

Old Apr 9, 13, 8:31 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Hope you all have a nice flight. I still have no interest in traveling in that flying sardine can. The plane is to small, to many seats jammed together (including in C class & there is no F cabin. Not interested in this plane at all However, I'm sure the 787 will be a very safe plane to fly. In fact, probably safer then most other new aircraft as they have had all this extra time to work on & see other potential problems that ALL new aircraft experience (777 w the depressurization problems, 380 w the wing cracks, etc)

This was the most un exciting new plane that I can remember. It's made of plastic, big deal!! Saves fuel? Show me where operators of the 787 are offering refunds on fuel surcharges to passengers taking those flights & ill be excited but what do I care if UA saves a little fuel (they ain't passing the savings in to me)
I was excited to ride on this plane, but then the delays came and kept coming and then the battery fires.

Then it started to fly in the U.S. and everyone, including many frequent fliers on Flyertalk were excited to fly ASAP. Then they actually flew and the reports of cramed seats with narrow seat width in coach as well as business seats in small spaces started to come in.

Bottom line seems to be big overhead bins and cool new ceiling lighting mean very little when one is flying 10-14 hours to Asia.

It's very disappointing.
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:37 pm

i was on a 767-300 in global first now 787-8 business first is this a down grade and if so what are my options ?
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA - Global Services 1MM; Marriott - Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium; Hertz - President's Circle
I'm going to take a pass on the Screamliner for a while. Honestly, Ihave plenty of faith in both the FAA and Boeing but am still going to let this bird get some reps to work the kinks out.
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iquitos View Post
So let me get this straight. Boeing put an apparently defective battery system on the aircraft. The batteries overheated and burned and the aircraft were grounded and the NTSB began an investigation. Now Boeing says they have a fix. FAA has not agreed and NTSB has not completed its investigation yet United is going to go ahead and fly assuming the grounding order is lifted. I think there is a good chance this will not happen. In any case it is not United's call. Why should we trust United OR Boeing? http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/2...oeing_787.html
It's called planning ahead. If the date changes, so be it.
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Seriously. I know the new UA is all about marketing and PR over substance, but preempting the FAA on this just seems sloppy.
They just keep adjusting the schedule out, hoping that they can hit the dates. If they can't then they adjust again, but it shouldn't be so surprising that they are keeping the planes in the system/schedule at some point. They didn't pull the DEN-NRT flight when the initial grounding happened; it took a few weeks for that. And the first time they changed the schedule it was to May 12th. Now it is June 10th. Maybe that will stick and maybe it won't. They certainly won't fly it before the FAA says they can.
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Seriously. I know the new UA is all about marketing and PR over substance, but preempting the FAA on this just seems sloppy.
I'd be curious then if you can post the press release from UA on this news. If they're "all about marketing and PR over substance", it should be pretty easy to locate, no?
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post
I was excited to ride on this plane, but then the delays came and kept coming and then the battery fires.

Then it started to fly in the U.S. and everyone, including many frequent fliers on Flyertalk were excited to fly ASAP. Then they actually flew and the reports of cramed seats with narrow seat width in coach as well as business seats in small spaces started to come in.

Bottom line seems to be big overhead bins and cool new ceiling lighting mean very little when one is flying 10-14 hours to Asia.

It's very disappointing.
I agree but you will find this with almost any carrier, Take EK almost everyone sings their Praises for EK, but dont they push 10 across on their 777s in Y? Its fine on a 747 or A380 where theres width in the cabin but on a 777 no way

At least PMCO was 3-3-3 on its 777 while PMUA was 2-5-2 so theres good and bad to all
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA Announces 787 Flight 31 May

Lots of us prefer 2-5-2 to 3-3-3. Only one person per row has to traverse 2 passengers to get the aisle. The bins are more accessible.

But that isn't a huge deal. Wedging in extra seats across is very unfortunate.
Old Apr 9, 13, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Lots of us prefer 2-5-2 to 3-3-3. Only one person per row has to traverse 2 passengers to get the aisle. The bins are more accessible.

But that isn't a huge deal. Wedging in extra seats across is very unfortunate.
And I couldnt stand it. Anytime something had to be passed to or from the person in the middle we became the FA. I much prefer the aisle in the middle grouping on the 3-3-3, where the person in the middle will bother both aisles to get in & out , while with the 2-5-2 I always thought I was a yoyo up & down the whole flight, where 2 people would want to get in or out
Old Apr 9, 13, 10:50 pm

Well that is a moot point now on Int'l 777 service right? What about the extra seat in each row if the 787 - when is that being removed?

I mean I could say PMuA had E+ and CO did not, but what is the point now?

I doubt many folks are clamoring for E-
Old Apr 9, 13, 11:27 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post

This was the most un exciting new plane that I can remember. It's made of plastic, big deal!! Saves fuel?
When you squeezzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeee in 9 across in coach, you save fuel. That is a wonderful technological development. How fuel efficient is the plane at 8 across, and if it so fuel efficient, why is not 8 across being used?
Old Apr 9, 13, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Smoking or non-smoking?

this is just too funny.
Old Apr 9, 13, 11:58 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
My flights on the 787 prior to grounding were pleasant and all in E+. However I was just as comfortable on a 767 or 777.

-Nathan
Old Apr 10, 13, 12:24 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
I'd be curious then if you can post the press release from UA on this news. If they're "all about marketing and PR over substance", it should be pretty easy to locate, no?
Do you think the videos of the United CEO on all of United's flights are not marketing or PR tools? Marketing and PR is not limited to company issued press releases. The source for this story was a United spokesperson.
Old Apr 10, 13, 12:29 am

Anyone else notice April's CEO letter in Hemispheres concerns Earth Day and the environment and in there ZERO mention of the 787 by name?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: