Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO-IAH-PTY [14-Jan-2013] - A new low

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I'm sure most UA customers from SFO who lived through the summer of 2000 might disagree with you. UA certainly couldn't blame SHAREs back then.

I suspect it comes down to experience. Fly out of a station lots, and you will get burned. And SFO burns. The most recent whopper IME was in December at the UC: "we don't have a first class lounge"

Originally Posted by channa

Hmm...I'm not sure I agree with this (and this was also not how it was handled in my downgrade a few months ago). The **** BP should be perfectly fine with security (it was in my case), and it happens all the time, albeit mostly for non-status coach passengers. I suspect the Elite security at SFO was not used to seeing such BPs. But a general line should be more familiar with them, as people clear security without seats all the time.
Indeed, 100 percent of WN's customers have no seat assignments.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QBK
I'm almost seriously entertaining the idea that it's a war on you. I think you may have suggested something like that in another thread -- that somehow certain customers got flagged as persona non grata, and have been getting screwed ever since 3/3 -- and while I dismissed it with a laugh at the time... I'm starting to wonder.

What baffles me is that there are quite distinct populations of (a) very frequent fliers who've had good service and treatment since the merger (that would be me), and (b) equally frequent fliers who've consistently had amazingly bad experiences (that would be you). Speaking as a statistician, I expect fluctuations -- but to put it colloquially, these variations are wayyyy off the bell curve. The only way I can explain it is that you and channa aren't drawing from the same random pool of experiences that I am.

I'm baffled and very sorry for your experience. I hope (against experience) that you get an appropriately bending-over-backward apology from somebody...
Some of this is sensitivity to problems & expectations. A colleague seems to have TERRIBLE problems with Google products — (1) Chat always sends messages to his phone, his friends, his laptop, or his message logs, but never all four; (2) Maps puts his house in the middle of a bridge and when he reports the problem he gets a human response saying "this is correct according to our data and we are not changing it"; (3) Chrome chews up all his RAM and kills the rest of his machine.

This isn't Google being out to get him — he just notices minor quirks and he tends to be a software power user and do the kinds of things with systems that tend to make them break.

Some of the people who have "bad luck" are just doing a LOT of transactions and, since there's some variation in how good your experience will be in each transaction, they're more likely to see the bad as well as the very good.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by QBK
I'm almost seriously entertaining the idea that it's a war on you. I think you may have suggested something like that in another thread -- that somehow certain customers got flagged as persona non grata, and have been getting screwed ever since 3/3 -- and while I dismissed it with a laugh at the time... I'm starting to wonder.

What baffles me is that there are quite distinct populations of (a) very frequent fliers who've had good service and treatment since the merger (that would be me), and (b) equally frequent fliers who've consistently had amazingly bad experiences (that would be you). Speaking as a statistician, I expect fluctuations -- but to put it colloquially, these variations are wayyyy off the bell curve. The only way I can explain it is that you and channa aren't drawing from the same random pool of experiences that I am.

I'm baffled and very sorry for your experience. I hope (against experience) that you get an appropriately bending-over-backward apology from somebody...
I have had a stack of bad experiences (even as GS) but they are better now as to what I would call "random bad acts." (rather than the system wide things like bad food, upsells, etc). Everyone I have spoken with here in San Francisco (or elsewhere) who travels a lot has a UA post 3/3 story, most have many, and no one I have talked to is happy. That said, my travel is domestic, and I think the mess ups/problems are greater on the domestic side than international. If you travel internationally (especially if on paid Z/C) you may be less exposed.

Originally Posted by mike_plat
I'm sure most UA customers from SFO who lived through the summer of 2000 might disagree with you. UA certainly couldn't blame SHAREs back then.
that was different. The pilots were doing a sick out, and flights cancelled. But if they went the system worked.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by spin88
Everyone I have spoken with here in San Francisco (or elsewhere) who travels a lot has a UA post 3/3 story, most have many, and no one I have talked to is happy.
I'm not happy with it either, but mostly because they've managed to destroy what I liked about CO without improving what I didn't like about CO. I think this is what any HBS case would have said would happen when a smaller company takes over a larger one. See my statement further down for my take on sUA.

Originally Posted by spin88
that was different. The pilots were doing a sick out, and flights cancelled. But if they went the system worked.
The result isn't different. The airport agents were overwhelmed and took it out on the customers. Really ugly, and to this day, forms my memory of sUA.

Last edited by mike_plat; Jan 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
In the event there were no seats in Y to accommodate the pax, would they be IDB? Or would someone in Y be IDB and the OP be given their seat?
You look for volunteers. If no one will give up their seats in Y, then yes the OP would have become an IDB.

Originally Posted by unavaca
It's not so much about the person swapping places, but the applications and access they have access to varies by position. It may be the same human in both positions, but what they have access to in one position may be unavailable or locked out in another location.

I believe there was a PMUA agent on here said that they liked the SHARES ability to lockout access to seatmap changes by anyone other than GAs when close to departure, since having seats disappear from underneath the agent was a comment problem under Apollo. I'm recalling this part from memory, so I may be partially/completely wrong here.
Under Shares, any computer, anywhere can be made into a controlling set. This means that I, working the lobby in HNL, can make my set a controlling set for a flight departing from SFO.

Once a certain function command is typed from a controlling set, it locks out all other sets from performing any function relating to that flight, except from the other controlling sets. This is done at the 30 minute mark, before departure, and gives the gate agent complete control of the flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
The lack of bar code I think is/was technical malfunction of the printer. I know yesterday there were a few printers in the Premium lobby there had lost some of the print formatting software. Since this was pretty early in the morning the folks working the counter may not have been aware if the problem.

Mitchmu, sorry for your bad experience at SFO.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by sfogate
Under Shares, any computer, anywhere can be made into a controlling set. This means that I, working the lobby in HNL, can make my set a controlling set for a flight departing from SFO.

Once a certain function command is typed from a controlling set, it locks out all other sets from performing any function relating to that flight, except from the other controlling sets. This is done at the 30 minute mark, before departure, and gives the gate agent complete control of the flight.
Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know that anyone anywhere could become a controlling set. Can you enter and exit controlling set mode at any time, or once you become one, you are one until departure?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
This sounds like a conflux of issues (from UA side as well as the airport) that came together and went FUBAR on the OP...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
You look for volunteers. If no one will give up their seats in Y, then yes the OP would have become an IDB.
And that, to sum it up, is the problem with the New United. I don't think any other carrier on earth would IDB a paid first class customer (especially someone with an international connection) over someone in coach.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
And that, to sum it up, is the problem with the New United. I don't think any other carrier on earth would IDB a paid first class customer (especially someone with an international connection) over someone in coach.
How is this different than the "old" United? Pax without seat assignments are the first to be IDB'd. In the old UA, if you couldn't accommodate a pax without a seat in either F or Y and you can't get any volunteers to give up their seat, then that person is IDB'd. This isn't new
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
How is this different than the "old" United? Pax without seat assignments are the first to be IDB'd. In the old UA, if you couldn't accommodate a pax without a seat in either F or Y and you can't get any volunteers to give up their seat, then that person is IDB'd. This isn't new
That was not my experience with the old UA. I recall at least two occasions where I or a colleague were in paid F with no seat assignment and they bumped someone out of coach. Also the old UA had a policy for 1Ks that even if the plane was oversold you could buy a Y class ticket and have someone bumped.

Last edited by FlyingNut724; Jan 14, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:12 pm

This sounds just a little bit like what happened to me flying back from LIM-IAH in BusinessFirst. At the check in counter I was told that my ticket was for the next day and my partners was for the same day. Both tickets were booked together and I booked them for the correct day. It took 20-30 minutes to get that straightened out. I got no apology, just that "reservations" made a mistake. Really?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
Wow. Just wow. So sorry to read this, Mitchmu.

It would appear, though, that my brother, sister, and I will possibly be headed for trouble, if one were to consider OP's experience, along with the chorus of related issues, including award partner flights, SHARES, and just plain incompetence of on-the-ground and call center staff. OP did everything right -- everything reasonably expected of travelers concerned about the integrity of their flights:

1. Monitoring ticketed itineraries,
2. Printing copies of said itineraries,
3. Attempting OLCI,
4. Not rolling over,

and last (but certainly not least)

5. Being an informed traveler unwilling to take no (or whatever story the agent concocts in the moment) for an answer.

My concerns reflect the issues enumerated above and the confluence of what seem to be multiplying points of entry for UA trouble. While OP's experience certainly underscores my resolve to not let this happen to my family and me, (I've booked my brother and sister [kettles, alas] business class tix to SGN from HNL and ORF, respectively, on OZ...ack!), I'm concerned that we're headed for trouble. I've coached them through it all (or so I thought), but, since none of our flights are coordinated, what happens if I'm not around to help them? Or if they're stuck at ICN or SGN with nothing but a photocopy of their itinerary and their credit cards? I thought I'd anticipated everything, and I'm certainly not as informed a traveler as OP, so this throws another wrench in my elaborate avoid-problems-because-I-booked-you-with-UA battle plan. Ugh.

So, is it all just a crapshoot? Kiss the dice and roll?

Thanks for a very informative thread, FTers!

PS I won't even mention my upcoming JFK-PTY-MVD flight, whose itinerary looks completely out of sorts. Calling. Has. Not. Worked.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:21 pm

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know that anyone anywhere could become a controlling set. Can you enter and exit controlling set mode at any time, or once you become one, you are one until departure?
Yes, you can enter and exit controlling set mode at any time until the gate agent takes (restricts) control of the flight. Once this happens, you can only exit control.

An SU sine can overide this control and are given to the supervisors and Red Coats/Service Directors.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:38 pm
ufo

SOP for a down gauge in equipment is very different than overselling a flight. The compensation is $150.00. I do believe that the OP stated that his flight was originally A320 and it was down gauged to A319.

SOP is that we run the oversale manager to see who has purchased a full F ticket, and who had been upgraded. SOP is that the full F ticket remains seated in F, while the others become downgraded or unseated in F.

We are also to ask for volunteers to give up their F seats for compensation and a refund in fare to the lower class of service. I have seen the compensation goes as high as $500 ETC.

If you are a volunteer, the DOT does require us to have you fill out the volunteer card and sign it. I would have to look up the DOT requirements if you are a "forced" downgrade due to a change in aircraft type.

I am very sorry that you were poorly handled at SFO.
Hi SFO gate..... what happens in a cabin where everyone is on a paid F ticket, or you;ve downgraded all upgrades and you are still oversold. Is there an SOP to decide which paid F passengers to unseated?

Thanks, UFO

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I guess there goes the old adage of 'take a seat in rows 1 or 2' in case of a downgauge from an A320 to A319. I've gotta agree, someone's had their fingers in this reservation somewhere. Row 2 seat assignments 'should have' been preserved in a downgauge situation between these two aircraft types.

What's been documented is astonishing behavior on the part of United.
Originally Posted by bearkatt
agreed. and to think SHARES shows him in 2A is pretty crazy.
This was my experience earlier this year also. I was IDB from a TATL flight on a J fair. It was a downgauge from a 764 to a 762. I was seated in 1D and my seat was given to someone else.

I dont know who did it, and why. But 8+ hours after the equipment swap, and 5 hours before departure I was removed from my seat and it was given to someone else.

1D existed on both aircraft, I was a 1k with a paid J fare. While I got multiple apologies from people at UA, no one would ever explain to me why I was unseated from the flight.

Last edited by ufo; Jan 14, 2013 at 8:00 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.