Wiki Posts
Search

UA is selling Premier Access again

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA is selling Premier Access again

I was checking junior in for tomorrow's flight and got the offer. Is this new for 2013 or have I just not been paying attention?
Do any FTers know what group this gives now - I assume it would be BG 2 along with the important card holders and silver/gold?

Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
It's kinda new, and kinda not.

The sole purchase is new (relatively speaking). The actual ability to get the perk is not. Minus being a elite member, it was available for purchase for a while. And, without saying, cetain fare classes include the perk, too.

I do not have dates on this either, but it was not available last month on my flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
This is hardly new. Wasn't one-off elite status effectively sold as a 'travel option' by pmUA?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone know what group do they board with?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 am

Group 1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
what did the terms and conditions link say??
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The "Premier line" is the new "cattle call!" Remember, all elites are the same -- the lowly 1K status is just the same as if you paid 30 dollars
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Totally rediculous, this is something CO tried to do and I had an issue with it. All of us who fly alot saw the number of Elites growing, people who pay thousands of dollars to earn these these prividlidges now you want to sell them. The lights must be burning late to come up with ideas like this. Anything for a buck.
There must be a average dollar fiqure what a 1K, Gold, Silver etc pay each to fly. These programs were started for a reason to reword frequent flyers who pay there hard earned money and it is not fair to sell these frequent flyer benefits.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Very glad to finally see this back; it went away post 3/3. Handy for tickets for non-status family members. Now if they'll just bring back buying E+ on such tickets all will be well.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Very glad to finally see this back; it went away post 3/3. Handy for tickets for non-status family members. Now if they'll just bring back buying E+ on such tickets all will be well.
I'd like to see it more in line with you buy an E+ seat you get the status for the day. Good E+ seats rarely go under $50
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
fine with me, if some guy wants to shell out $39 to use the same kiosks as he would in Y, get on the same plane a bit earlier and save 2 minutes at security, I'm glad UA can get some money for that.

its not nearly as offensive as the ToD upgrades which actually materially harm elites. there is a very finite # of F seats, and there's no "Crush capacity" there while you can easily squeeze a couple more people thru the lines. I'd make a similar argument for the clubs. If someone wants to pay $50 to access the club for the day, I'm all for it. It is certainly far more profitable for the airline than a $400 full membership user who travels 1 RT weekly, @ $4 a visit.

Again, if the lounge product can make money, there's often excess 'capacity', and the more profitable the lounge product is, the more they can justify improvements in capacity, and offerings.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
That is interesting. I remember pmCO having this but I don't recall pmUA. It makes me think maybe I don't need to chase status so much if I can just buy it.

For the flights I actually care about being upgraded on I could buy into F sometimes and then buy this premier access other times. I bet it would be cheaper than some of the flights I pick on united over other airlines.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by repcool
That is interesting. I remember pmCO having this but I don't recall pmUA. It makes me think maybe I don't need to chase status so much if I can just buy it.

For the flights I actually care about being upgraded on I could buy into F sometimes and then buy this premier access other times. I bet it would be cheaper than some of the flights I pick on united over other airlines.
pmUA definitely offered it, that's why you're not seeing an outcry from pmUA 1Ks about another CO change ruining their beloved airline.

ETA: Found an interesting summary of the old Premier Access. http://crankyflier.com/2009/09/16/un...nts-to-buy-it/

want to know what boarding group they had? Wait for it ... Group 1.

Last edited by njcommodore; Jan 13, 2013 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It's been reported and I have seen where the Premere line to get through security has more people in it then the regular line. How would you feel if you were in that line as an elete flyer who pays thousands of dollars a year to fly and have several people ahead of you who are paying a mere $/39.00 to have that privilege. It totally delutes the purpose of Premere access.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
It's been reported and I have seen where the Premere line to get through security has more people in it then the regular line. How would you feel if you were in that like as an elete flyer who pays thousands of dollars a year to fly and have several people ahead of you who are paying a mere $/39.00 to have that privilege. It totally deluges the purpose of Premere access.
If you feel like an idiot, stop spending thousands of dollars, and pay $39, who is stopping you? Noone forces you to spend on United, or fly for that matter, there is always a choice. Stop being angry, its not gonna change anything, have a stiff drink, and vote with your feet/wallet.

Personally, I wouldnt pay a penny for this, but good on UA on monetizing something thats not really THAT big of a deal/privilege.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.