UA Inspects 787s following BOS fire

Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by dimramon
Today's JAL flight out of BOS is canceled as well. This time, it's the brakes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/boei...days-1B7906402
the quoted article is about a third 787 incident in three days, but spells out that today's was an NH flight UBJ-HND. nothing about today's JAL BOS flight..

looks like NH 698 cancelled on Jan 9 due to maintenance.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Seat1A
the quoted article is about a third 787 incident in three days, but spells out that today's was an NH flight UBJ-HND. nothing about today's JAL BOS flight..

Ah OK I just assumed the article was about BOS and did not check. None of these surprise me though...this stuff happens with every new technology.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by emyh
I was on that flight. First it was late, then they accidentally overfueled on gas (apparently people thought it was headed to NRT), and than had a so-called glitch on a computer and everyone was forced to deplane. What a nightmare.
+1. I checked the flight status a few hours before and it was already delayed to 14:00. I was making a connection at IAH and when they returned back to gate, I asked them to reroute me via AA. Seems like UA was having huge problems with their wide-body service at LAX yesterday. NRT-LAX was canceled, LAX-NRT delayed for 4 hours, LAX-PVG delayed for 3-4 hours.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I gonna avoid flying on UA or JL 787 fleet for the whole 2013 until I am sure these planes are fine and safe for traveling.
I am also a bit apprehensive about an upcoming 787 overwater flight. On the plus side they will probably be more thoroughly inspected than any other airplane, and there shouldn't be any wear issues. On the minus side, it may be luck of the draw on seat assignments if another plane is subbed. Have they been swapping in 747, 767 or 777s as replacements?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
the lithium battery fire was so hot the NTSB said it took 40 minutes to put out per cnbc's article.

fuel economy and cost savings won't matter if the safety isnt there

#nuclearpowerandJapan
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Boraxo
... On the minus side, it may be luck of the draw on seat assignments if another plane is subbed. Have they been swapping in 747, 767 or 777s as replacements?
My domestic flight today was flight today was substituted with 737-800. I was told today by a 1K desk agent that the international 787 deployment program is on hold.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Seat1A

They just updated the article. When it first came out, they didn't mention it was an UBJ-HND flight.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
My domestic flight today was flight today was substituted with 737-800. I was told today by a 1K desk agent that the international 787 deployment program is on hold.
Indeed, my itinerary shows that my 787 was just replaced by a 777-200
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The 787 I was looking at for IAH-LHR is now a 764. If they cancel my 787 in 10 days IAH-ORD I want my RPU back
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
My ORD-IAH flight next week thankfully still shows a 787. My first chance at trying the bird out. ^
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Of course not, but the issue is whether such service-entry issues ('early adopter syndrome' I think is well-applied) is worth investing considerable capital in dated technology (more 767s) to 'bridge the gap'. I don't consider the 787-8 interchangeable with the 777 to the extent that orders for one could be substituted for the other. They serve different market segments, so I consider the 767-300ER to be a more realistic alternative, and it is documented that the 787-8 has roughly 20% reduced fuel burn over that airplane. The troubles the 787 has encountered during the shakedown period would have to be of such magnitude that, amortized over the expected 20-25 year service life of a new airframe and holding fuel constant, the overall cost advantage of a 787 over the 763ER (two airplanes with virtually no commonality) is completely mitigated. There, and only there, does ordering 767s in lieu of 787s become a more economical proposition. I don't think we have reached that point yet.
The question is, was Jeff wrong for committing so much to the 787, so early?

He rolled the dice. He was betting that the upside factors, which you have summarized well, would outweigh the downside factors, which we're seeing today and that this balance of upside and downside on the 787 decision would produce a better outcome than waiting a while longer or investing in some less advanced but more proven equipment, incrementally. It's not an either/or question. Not a question of 787 or not. But, there were a range of choices regarding quantity and timing of 787s.

The thing about being a CEO is that sometimes you have to roll the dice and then take the consequences. Ultimately, someone's got to make these decisions.

I don't have the qualifications to make a judgement on this, but I think it's fair to say that a reasonable CEO could have been more risk adverse in this decision than Smisek was.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
The question is, was Jeff wrong for committing so much to the 787, so early?

He rolled the dice. He was betting that the upside factors, which you have summarized well, would outweigh the downside factors, which we're seeing today and that this balance of upside and downside on the 787 decision would produce a better outcome than waiting a while longer or investing in some less advanced but more proven equipment, incrementally. It's not an either/or question. Not a question of 787 or not. But, there were a range of choices regarding quantity and timing of 787s.

The thing about being a CEO is that sometimes you have to roll the dice and then take the consequences. Ultimately, someone's got to make these decisions.

I don't have the qualifications to make a judgement on this, but I think it's fair to say that a reasonable CEO could have been more risk adverse in this decision than Smisek was.
What role did Jeff Smisek play in ordering the 787?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
Today's JAL flight out of BOS is canceled as well. This time, it's the brakes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/boei...days-1B7906402
Something really odd about all these things going wrong.

Boeing knows how to build airplanes. And, surely they didn't use 100% new parts. And, surely, they did a ton of testing on this bird, because this mess we have today isn't an outcome that benefits them or anyone else.

Perhaps just a string of bad luck. As has been pointed out, the A380 went through a string like this too.

Originally Posted by star_world
What role did Jeff Smisek play in ordering the 787?
Who was CEO when they were ordered?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Something really odd about all these things going wrong.

Boeing knows how to build airplanes. And, surely they didn't use 100% new parts. And, surely, they did a ton of testing on this bird, because this mess we have today isn't an outcome that benefits them or anyone else.

Perhaps just a string of bad luck. As has been pointed out, the A380 went through a string like this too.
Just (slightly) bad luck - these things happen with all new aircraft. They happened on the A380, 777, etc. If UA's antiquated 747s with their reliability were covered by the mainstream news media to the degree 787s are the general public would be calling them death traps! The duct tape alone would terrify people

Who was CEO when they were ordered?
I'll leave that to you to research. You may want to revise your comment

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I was scheduled to fly ORD-IAH on Jan 9, 2013 but there is is an equipment substitution to a 737-800. I called UA and told the agent that I specifically booked the flight because it was a 787. The 1K desk rebooked me for tomorrow. It took about 25 minutes on the phone but it was taken care of and upgrade confirmed.

In passing the agent said the international deployment is now on hold. I suggest people check reservations frequently for changes. Last night unitedcargo ( http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1/frtSched.jsp ) showed the "Type of Aircraft" as a "78V" for my flight but this now says "73X". united.com showed contradictory info 737, 777 and 787. Even the 1K desk initially said it was still a 787. I suggested she check the nose number and it showed it was a 737-800.
The rebooked flight for Jan 10 is now substituted as a 737-800. I need to be at my destination tomorrow and am not not going to hang around another day in Chicago hoping that the 787s are flying again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.