Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by repcool
Why isn't pre boarding group 1? I never understood why it didn't just start with group 1.
For the same reason that I can set the volume to "11" on my amp, instead of only up to 10.

11 is louder.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:01 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
It would certainly clarify things if they made pre-boarding Group 1.

SFO-JFK yesterday was still a cluster...., even with the signs and new boarding announcements. People crowding the Group 1 line regardless of whether or not they were Group 1.

That said, that flight is almost always elite-heavy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:14 am

Not that I expected anything, but I got my word in w/ UA and got a reply.

Dear xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines. The details of your e-mail came to the attention of the United Airlines Executive Offices, and Mr. Jeff Smisek has requested that I respond on his behalf. I appreciate the time you took to let us know about your experience. I would also like to thank you for an opportunity to address your concerns. In an ongoing effort to improve upon the service we provide, your comments and suggestions are genuinely appreciated.

xxxxxxx, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about our upcoming change in the boarding process. We certainly recognize the importance of customer satisfaction in this highly competitive industry and are aware of the impact one negative experience can have. Please know that customer feedback is an invaluable resource when evaluation our overall operations. We take your suggestions very seriously and I am committed to making sure they get forwarded to the appropriate department for internal review.

Please know your business and goodwill are never taken for granted by our airline, and we will strive always to meet your expectations of clean, safe and reliable air transportation coupled with exemplary customer service. Thank you for including United Airlines in your travel plans, and on behalf of my co-workers, we look forward to welcoming you aboard a future flight.

Regards,

<SNIP>
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
Originally Posted by mgs 1k
United 944 ORD - FRA gata 10 on Act. 10th

No call for Global Services

Agented called Group 1 and 2 at the same time, instead of 1 and later group 2.

This is really a chaos.
One flight, GA screwed up, and it's chaos?.
Yes. Under PMUA even if the entire red carpet was called at once it wouldn't be terrible.

There is no such fail safe in this new cluster system.

Originally Posted by halls120
Originally Posted by JGRITS
The point is that other than the GA's slightly increased bias toward current and former military (according to UAInsider it's just supposed to be military in uniform), which I don't necessarily have a huge problem with, I didn't notice anything different yesterday.
It is supposed to be military in uniform, not all active duty and especially not retired military.

I wish United would make their employees stick to the script and not freelance.
More worrisome freelance bit was boarding families with young children

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:12 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
Silly... I think few people think that making a single post on FT would make an airline change a process.

It is not about this single change, but rather the overall devaluation of what MP once stood for, and yes many are leaving. To use you analogy, if my loyal friend decided that they like plating with Chase credit cards more than me, then I should evaluate who I spend my time with... and certainly who I spend my money on. No reason to spend more or go out of my way to fly UA... the love is not there any longer.

I expect there will be another devaluation of MP before JS is done, as he sees most elites has evil.
This is a giant rant thread with everyone complaining about UA in general from devaluing MP and UA to give me back my old BP groups. Of course the intention here is to voice your displeasure with UA on the new BP procedure or other problems with MP. With that said, and I said for years and years on this forum is the entitlement for 'what you think' the program should do for us is not important to UA. Revenue is more important than loyalty. I fly UA all the time, they have good days and bad days and I keep showing up. Manage your expectations and you'll be fine.

Almost like the public employees who were promised pay raises or pensions and then states can't afford them any longer, they revolt with no sympathizers. Some left the workforce but most stayed after all that venting. 'They promised me a pension or a raise', 'they promised me'. LOL. Same for airline loyalty programs.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:56 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
This thread made CNBC...

http://m.cnbc.com/us_news/100373004

Sorry for doing the mobile version.

-MBS, typing from his iPhone
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
This is a giant rant thread with everyone complaining about UA in general from devaluing MP and UA to give me back my old BP groups. Of course the intention here is to voice your displeasure with UA on the new BP procedure or other problems with MP. With that said, and I said for years and years on this forum is the entitlement for 'what you think' the program should do for us is not important to UA. Revenue is more important than loyalty. I fly UA all the time, they have good days and bad days and I keep showing up. Manage your expectations and you'll be fine.
very well said.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
This thread made CNBC...

Non-mobile version link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100373004
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
They've actively been trying "revenue over loyalty" over the past year, and it's gotten them to a point of no longer being able to command a price premium vs. competitors (refer to the ongoing great analysis of spin88).

Maybe the next leadership team will find a better, more fiscally rewarding balance.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
For elites that have experienced the new system, any sense of whether more elites are checking bags to avoid the mess? Notice a lot more gate checking in first or E+?

Until this works itself through or we move on to the next boarding process, I will be tempted to check (extremely rare for me, even on vacation) if flying direct to an airport where baggage claim is quick (since as Gold I still get a free priority bag).

Still withholding judgement until I live it, but still mainly concerned about overhead space which is the entire point of priority boarding to me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
It is supposed to be military in uniform, not all active duty and especially not retired military.

I wish United would make their employees stick to the script and not freelance.
Agreed. Have lost count of the number of times 10 or more non-uniformed military personnel board a flight out of DEN to IAD.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:45 am

I've always been curious, why do US airlines have this idea of boarding Military (active & retired) first? It seems i kind off oddly American thing.

I understand these people risk their lives to defend our country, and that is amazing.

But every country has air forces and marines that defend their nation, I don't think Australia, the UK, Germany, France, Japan etc do this military boarding thing do they?

And there are another amazing professions out there: doctors who transplant organs, firefighters, old ager carers. Cancer doctors, doctors in the ER literally saving lives every day. Scientists inventing HIV drugs. Are we saying military's job is more meaningful?

And if it's just to show respect to the people that serve the nation, do these people also get seated at restaurants first? Do they get to skip lines at Disneyland?

Just seems odd that airlines seem to be the only ones that give these poodle special treatment, and only the US.

It it just an accepted thing here? (Sorry, I am Australian living in the US 8 years - so maybe I am missing some significant history or culture thing)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K
Absolutely on point. We appreciate our armed forces personnel but it shows no disrespect to leave this out of an airline boarding process.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:55 am

How about

Group 1: Military, Disabled, Small Children
Group 2: Global Services, 1K
Group 3: Platnium, Gold
Group 4: Silver + Club Card holders (the $400 a years card)
Group 5, 6, 7: Everyone else
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
This thread made CNBC...

Awesome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.