Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by blueman2
The GA was very clear about new boarding process and asked firmly twice DO NOT APPROACH until you group is called. Also said twice DO NOT BLOCK the entry.
From now on, the gate lice will be made up of a lot of Gold. If I am gold, I would certainly stand in front of the boarding lane to make sure I get on the plane at the same time I use to. Frankly I don't blame them. United's new policy is a clear message to the gold. You're loyality is the same to us as a credit card holder. If you want to board before the credit card group stand by the gate and be a lice!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Why isn't pre boarding group 1? I never understood why it didn't just start with group 1.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by zechariahs
Hah, I'm pretty sure we're on the same flight.

Anyway, the flight isn't full so I doubt this is a true test of the new process. I'm waiting to see what happens at ORD.
I was flying out of OMA last night and they called Groups 1-4 at the same time! Yes it was an RJ but I find it almost disrespectful. It encourages licing as I now there is going to be a mad rush.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by bockerknicker
From now on, the gate lice will be made up of a lot of Gold. If I am gold, I would certainly stand in front of the boarding lane to make sure I get on the plane at the same time I use to. Frankly I don't blame them. United's new policy is a clear message to the gold. You're loyality is the same to us as a credit card holder. If you want to board before the credit card group stand by the gate and be a lice!
Did you (or the other golds whining about boarding and having to gate check bags) read any of the other 60 pages of this thread? You will still be able to put your bags in the overhead, likely near your seat. UA Insider reported that the number of credit card holders with no elite status is marginal.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS, AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Did you (or the other golds whining about boarding and having to gate check bags) read any of the other 60 pages of this thread? You will still be able to put your bags in the overhead, likely near your seat. UA Insider reported that the number of credit card holders with no elite status is marginal.
I'm not a gold but I can connect the dots. United has been devaluing all elite benefits one small bit at a time. People who don't see this are in denial. It is just a matter of time before United lumps all elites in a same boarding group. Preboard: GS, Miltary, Group 1 ALL ELITES, Group 2, CC, Group 3-5, Everyone else.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Systemwide numbers would make it marginal, but on some flights they are marginal of the sort where Golds and Silvers will end up with having more overhead bin space problems than before. When the nearest available overhead bin with space is several rows or more back, more problems.

By the way, UA credit card holders are thought to be more likely buyers of E+ than non-UA credit card holders. No surprise the UA wants more of its customers to have a UA credit card and wants increased awareness of the credit card benefits.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
At least at the hubs, can't ropes be installed for two boarding lanes? To enter the lanes, your BP would be scanned for proper boarding group number and monitored by gate agent.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by repcool
Why isn't pre boarding group 1? I never understood why it didn't just start with group 1.
It may not be practical for United to know ahead of time which persons will want or need early boarding at the gate (other than GS), or which military person will be flying in uniform that day. I suppose the check-in agent could reprint such folks boarding passes to say group 1, but that may be a bothersome step they would rather do without.

Plus, there is the pleasure of status when you see that your boarding pass says group 1. i.e., 1K would notice if their bp said group 2.

I'm just guessing here.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think it's been noted that the credit card users w/o status are very few. It's just the number of elites.
Yes and no. Yes, there are probably few CC holders, but when we are bombarded with DBarrett's smarmy face wherever we look, all it takes is a couple of DYKWIA CC passengers demanding to be in Group 1 to make the problem appear worse than it is.

When you add to it the recently departed Mark Bergslund's "all elites are equal" attitude that still permeates the combined airline, United has a huge perception problem to deal with. When there are sCO employees still hostile to the way sUA treats elite customers, it is no surprise that people look at minor changes like this one seem to be a bigger than it deserves to be.

What United needs to do is develop a consistent message and then stick to it. It they are going to value elites, then do so in a way that makes financial sense and communicate this to those customers.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe UA ought to increase the hurdle for elite levels - maybe to 50k/100k/150k. That ought to thin the ranks at the top. Also make CC holders purchase W fare or higher to get priority boarding. They could still advertise "Priority Boarding" but with an * and the requisite small print.
That will only work if they develop and consistently apply processes that consistently reward passengers for their loyalty.

Originally Posted by RammiXP10
Flew EWR - DEL on 1/7

It was a mess, people all around the gate. Agents followed process and tried there best but people are just awful at leeching at the gate. I feel really sorry for the agents because whatever they do its a cluster. The amount of Economy people trying to board was a joke. I know language can be a problem but i believe people abuse this and just pretend they do not know and try to get on.
What they need is to have some of those very experienced and savvy GA's from SFO who are legendary at enforcing boarding order go on a road trip to show fellow employees how it is done.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Both AUS-IAH and IAH-ORD last night boarding as normal. GS-1-2..

Given the lack of gatelicing I would be surprised to see Silvers and CC in 2..

Must have been some crazy delays last night as IAH-ORD went from overbooked to 2/3 full!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA Insider reported that the number of credit card holders with no elite status is marginal.
Given the extensive, all-encompassing ad campaign, I bet Chase would be surprised to hear that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:36 am Reason: off-topic
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:13 am

What is see happening more and more is that passengers present their boarding pass facedown towards the scanner. After the boarding pass is scanned, the GA turns it over and then sees that the passenger is in the wrong boarding group. By that time it's too late. The boarding pass has already been scanned.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
What is see happening more and more is that passengers present their boarding pass facedown towards the scanner. After the boarding pass is scanned, the GA turns it over and then sees that the passenger is in the wrong boarding group. By that time it's too late. The boarding pass has already been scanned.
You really think enough people are doing that to statistically make a difference in boarding times?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
A system is only as good as it's enforced. I truly think this is half the problem right here. People here want a consistent experience and expectation. What is frustrating to watch is a great agent enforce the boarding policy and is pleasant/welcoming about it followed by an agent who either doesn't care or doesn't want to write a SHARES justification about why their flight departed 3 minutes late and boards all groups within 30 seconds of each other.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by halls120
It they are going to value elites, then do so in a way that makes financial sense and communicate this to those customers.
I believe this is what UA is trying to figure out. Let's say you're building a business based on a profit goal of 10%. (I'm making something up.) It's not good business to consistently sell your product year after year after year to someone who only delivers 5% profit. Instead, you need to use your available budget to find ways to achieve 10% profit. I have no doubt that there are many elites who are very loyal but don't deliver the profit the company is seeking. With planes at nearly 100% capacity, it doesn't make financial sense to spend money on those elites. But yet there surely are also many elites who do deliver the desired profit. Finding the right balance is tricky business.

You really think enough people are doing that to statistically make a difference in boarding times?
I'm simply making the point that presenting your boarding pass upside down makes it harder for the GA to enforce the rules. I like the old process. I like the new process. I simply believe that it's mostly in the hands of the GA to deliver a pleasant boarding experience.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 11, 2013 at 7:41 am Reason: Merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.