Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
Unless you are in first class, either paying or upgrade, platinum puts you in group 2. You don't get automatically in group 1 till you get to 1K.
That was the case until 1/9/13 when plat got moved up into Group 1 regardless of class of service.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
Unless you are in first class, either paying or upgrade, platinum puts you in group 2. You don't get automatically in group 1 till you get to 1K.
Go look at post 1. BG1 includes Plat.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by njcommodore
My bad, I thought the golds and silvers got moved up to 2 and the plats stayed where they were.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
When I flew, back in the day, for Braniff, we attributed this miracle to "Jetway Jesus". I'm glad to see he is still working his miracles and curing the crippled flyers on Florida routes
There is a story of a PBI agent (not sure which airline they worked for) who got fed up one day after the jetway was filled with the flight's allotment of 20+ wheelchairs, ran in and yelled "Fire! Fire!" and watched while all the elderly people in the chairs jumped up and made Usain Bolt look like a snail.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is a story of a PBI agent (not sure which airline they worked for) who got fed up one day after the jetway was filled with the flight's allotment of 20+ wheelchairs, ran in and yelled "Fire! Fire!" and watched while all the elderly people in the chairs jumped up and made Usain Bolt look like a snail.
Or the similar story, at PBI 20 pax board in wheelchairs and at XXX (insert destination here) all 20 walk off.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't read through all the posts, but after some experience this month...

1) Why in the world isn't Global First offered pre-board along with Global Services?

2) The biggest improvement would be for GAs to actually wait appropriate time before calling the next group. Root cause of many issues....
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
So how come my BP still says BG2 for my TATL last night?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
I flew GUM-HNL On 1/17/13 and as a platinum was group 2 also.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I get it. United is a business. It needs to make money. At one time loyalty programs were seen as a way to keep good customers coming back and away from the competition. They made money and made returning customers feel good at the same time. Employees were apparently proud too!

Today, United - and the other majors in the USA - are not quite sure what "kind" of customer they feel are the best: full-fare payers; elites; low fare payers; credit card users; on line shoppers - except that they want all of the above! In doing so, they seem to have found that people who actually fly are (ironically) no longer the primary customers of an airline!

Over the years, I have dealt with all of the downgrades of my Million Miler Premier Executive Gold status. I have gotten used to less. I suspect that I will get used to the new boarding process too. Who knows what will be downgraded next? What more "less" will I have to get used to?

However, I suspect that I will remain a "loyal" United frequent flyer for three reasons: 1) United has a vast network and goes where I need to go. Besides, what other US airline is really any better? (Look at the other airline forum threads.) After all, it is just about getting from point A to B. 2) Economy Plus seating and some type of early boarding privilege. 3) On balance, Mileage Plus has been very good to me over the years - though much less so over the past 9 or 10 years. (I have been in it from the second month of the program in 1981. My old MP # began with 000 84...)

As I see it, mess too much with, or take away #2 (Economy Plus and early boarding privilege), and there is no other reason to remain loyal.
+1000

And referring to the weasel words in post #1, I would love to see the data from us travellers that we "expressed" that this change was based upon.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
+1000

And referring to the weasel words in post #1, I would love to see the data from us travellers that we "expressed" that this change was based upon.
+1. The group system that was implemented post 3/3 was just fine and divided up all the status levels the way they should be with CC folks at the end of priority boarding in group 4. The only complaints that I ever heard and had myself were that UA (some GAs) could at times be bad at enforcing and implementing the group system that was in place. When it was implemented properly, it worked great.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Just flew two elite heavy routes Friday evening (EWR-IAH and IAH-SNA). The boarding process was a mess, particularly in EWR where boarding groups 1 and 2 accounted for almost half of the 767-300.
If you are a gold, are flying in coach and want overhead bin space, you have no choice but to join the gate lice!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I think they want to find a way to keep the credit card revenue coming, and a separate boarding group for cc holders after all elites as not living up to "you're in" on the minds if their masters at chase.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:15 am
RNE

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
The group system that was implemented post 3/3 was just fine and divided up all the status levels the way they should be with CC folks at the end of priority boarding in group 4.
I agree with you that the 3/3 scheme was just fine, but I have to correct a generalization on your part. Only some of the credit card folks boarded in Group 4. Yours truly (and other club card holders) boarded in Group 3 with Silvers, while lesser card holders were relegated to Group 4. As I said, I was fine with that; I always got the overhead bin space I coveted. Despite my previous contentment, I certainly prefer the bump up to Group 2 with Golds and Silvers. ^

RNE, but I don't like the lesser card holders being in Group 2 too.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
UA 1283 on Friday 1/18 SFO-DEN (last flight of the day, end of workweek, so lots of frequent fliers).

Huge crowd builds around gate before boarding begins.

GA makes repeated announcements that people in group 5 should check their bags now because they're not getting them on board. ^

Then the re-"organized" boarding process begins...
GA starts off with people with disabilities.
Then starts boarding people from the line without making any announcement.
Then announces groups 1&2 to board (which was about half of the 737).

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Maybe this will get better when they actually roll out the new lanes and signs, but not holding my breath. Today at BWI on a full flight to IAH the massing at the lanes started as soon as the GA announced we would board in 15 minutes. Lots of groups 2 and 5 from what I could read on boarding passes because the GA announced "full flight so plead come gate check your bag. If you are in group 3 there probably will not be space. "

Group 1 folks pushed through in both the regular and premiere lines causing an additional slowdown once group 1 started. People in the non premiere lane complained when the ga said she would take the premiere lane people first, so the ga relented and took them first.

BWI is also one of those places where they take ALL military , not just in uniform, to pre board. They do not check Ids, and 5-10 folks routinely go ahead. Maybe they are military. Who knows.

Personally, I think the entire process would go MUCH better everywhere if they limited pre boarding to disabilities only, and then really just had groups 1-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.