Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
So, I've been following the other thread on changing the boarding group process. Leaving that aside for now, anyone notice the strange phenomenon now that "everyone" is in boarding group 1? Especially in DEN? I've had my third flight experience recently when they call group one and half the plane lines up in the Premier lane. That's just impossible...or is it?
Cognitative dissonance - it's ignoring the "1" (or whatever digit on your BP) and just thinking you have "Premier Access" (as half the plane does), and since that's the "special lane", they must be calling you up
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Well I was thinking it was something like that, but the gate agent does absolutely nothing to contradict it. I mean if you are in the very back of the plane with a huge rollerbag trying to stuff it in the overhead, that doesn't scream FF to me. I was just thinking it was the blowback of post holiday travel and the GA's just not having the patience to explain to everyone that they aren't in the correct boarding sequence.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I get a kick out of all the "Jeff and Co are out to destroy the airline" stuff. Folks this seems pretty clear to me: They tried it the CO way because CO was relatively successful with the very limited/much smaller market they had. Many of the CO "things" (all elites are equal, IRROPS attitude/processes, Boarding, meal ordering, and MANY others) do not scale and do not work in the bigger UA network. They are CLEARLY changing course...OK fine, take the pi$$ out of them for a series of mistakes but they are CLEARLY changing course. The fact that they are changing ANYTHING should be the signal that many of the changes that happened on 3/3 have been recognized as mistakes and reversed. IRROPS and Boarding are/have been horrible but give them a chance to reverse course and make it right. I am as cynical as the next guy but I take some amount of comfort in the fact they ARE adjusting. I have been part of many integrations that were hell bent to force one process over the other, nobody had the guts to admit a mistake, and the thing entered a death spiral.

The attempt to "fix" acknowledges, by definition, the fact that it was broke., Give them a chance.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
Well I was thinking it was something like that, but the gate agent does absolutely nothing to contradict it. I mean if you are in the very back of the plane with a huge rollerbag trying to stuff it in the overhead, that doesn't scream FF to me. I was just thinking it was the blowback of post holiday travel and the GA's just not having the patience to explain to everyone that they aren't in the correct boarding sequence.
It's a lot of passengers to fight, honestly. It can't be an easy job.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Monty Python style protest

How about we all go out and rent wheelchairs and have staff at airports push us to UA gates for the next few weeks? Then there will be many FTers with various Premier level statuses showing up for all UA flights. We all get to preboard with GS, the GAs have fun, and Smisek and other UA management can tear out their hair.
Any other creative spinoffs to this protest? (Disclaimer: By the way, this in no way is intended to make fun of persons with disabilities. I have a disabled person close to me who flies and needs a wheelchair to get to the gates.)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Or for that matter, what real post-merger enhancement can any of us point to that has earned our trust and deepened our loyalty to UA? It doesn't matter which airline you flew pre-merger. The growing consensus across the board is that UA's unstated mission statement is to truly alienate their most loyal customers.

One benefit of UA Insider's posts (not shooting the messenger, she's just doing her job and is appreciated for her hard work): they make us more "united" than this airline is even remotely capable of doing.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I get a kick out of all the "Jeff and Co are out to destroy the airline" stuff. Folks this seems pretty clear to me: They tried it the CO way because CO was relatively successful with the very limited/much smaller market they had. Many of the CO "things" (all elites are equal, IRROPS attitude/processes, Boarding, meal ordering, and MANY others) do not scale and do not work in the bigger UA network. They are CLEARLY changing course...OK fine, take the pi$$ out of them for a series of mistakes but they are CLEARLY changing course. The fact that they are changing ANYTHING should be the signal that many of the changes that happened on 3/3 have been recognized as mistakes and reversed. IRROPS and Boarding are/have been horrible but give them a chance to reverse course and make it right. I am as cynical as the next guy but I take some amount of comfort in the fact they ARE adjusting. I have been part of many integrations that were hell bent to force one process over the other, nobody had the guts to admit a mistake, and the thing entered a death spiral.

The attempt to "fix" acknowledges, by definition, the fact that it was broke., Give them a chance.
I'll give them a chance when they allow me to upgrade. As long as there are no upgrades, I have no reason to fly with them anymore than absolute minimum nor to pay more than lowest possible fare.

The rest is noise.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkr
How about we all go out and rent wheelchairs and have staff at airports push us to UA gates for the next few weeks? Then there will be many FTers with various Premier level statuses showing up for all UA flights. We all get to preboard with GS, the GAs have fun, and Smisek and other UA management can tear out their hair.
Any other creative spinoffs to this protest? (Disclaimer: By the way, this in no way is intended to make fun of persons with disabilities. I have a disabled person close to me who flies and needs a wheelchair to get to the gates.)
"We would like to offer pre-boarding to members of the Ministry of Silly Walks...Silly MSW's please feel free to board at this time"
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer

Agreed! Hopefully they'll adjust the Group 2 debacle and we'll continue the streak of "loyalty wins" under out belts that started late Q4 last year.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
It's a lot of passengers to fight, honestly. It can't be an easy job.
What they really need is a mechanism to enforce boarding zones...as you point out if it continues to be up to individual GAs to enforce manually there will never be consistency. I don't envy them!

The "new" Group 1 is really just the old Group 1 & 2 combined. I've only done 2 segments since the switch in F and it really was not too noticeable on my flights, but I've been in either Group 1 or Group 2 for a while. I also fly mostly domestic which have fewer people in the front cabins anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA619 DCA-ORD on 1/11, GA called for disabled, Military in Uniform and GS. Then she calls group 2. She had forgot to call group 1 entirely. Pissed me off but I let it slide since I fly there often and not looking to make enemies. Others in gate area confirmed she had not called group 1 so it wasn't me spacing out.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'll give them a chance when they allow me to upgrade. As long as there are no upgrades, I have no reason to fly with them anymore than absolute minimum nor to pay more than lowest possible fare.

The rest is noise.
I tend to agree but I have to believe that will be addressed. I am not talking about not taking cash over CPU's ..that would be stupid and bad business but they need to fix the major issue I see around UG's which is: If somebody is willing to "pay" with miles or RPU/GPU's then why are they not taking them. CPU's should be by status and then fare class...fair enough but to hand over the waitlist at 24hrs and throw everyone into an UG scrum is just stupid on their part. I have had more 20K mile upgrades go unfilled only to get the CPU at the gate. They lose 20K points or a RPU every time they do that. My assumption is that it is an IT issue but if I were CEO that would be the first thing I fixed. They are literally throwing away money every flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pjsantoro
What they really need is a mechanism to enforce boarding zones...as you point out if it continues to be up to individual GAs to enforce manually there will never be consistency. I don't envy them!

The "new" Group 1 is really just the old Group 1 & 2 combined. I've only done 2 segments since the switch in F and it really was not too noticeable on my flights, but I've been in either Group 1 or Group 2 for a while. I also fly mostly domestic which have fewer people in the front cabins anyway.
Or UA needs to have a "passenger guide" that every passenger must click and accept before ticketing that explains, among others, Boarding Groups.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by u600213
UA619 DCA-ORD on 1/11, GA called for disabled, Military in Uniform and GS. Then she calls group 2. She had forgot to call group 1 entirely. Pissed me off but I let it slide since I fly there often and not looking to make enemies. Others in gate area confirmed she had not called group 1 so it wasn't me spacing out.
Unless it was intentional on his/her part

Originally Posted by pjsantoro

Does anyone have any idea of a typical hub-hub elite percentage loading? e.g. 1% GS, 10% 1K, 20% Plat, etc

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
F, 1k and Plat are all BG-1 now, it wouldn't surprise me to see half the plane line up in elite heavy airports such as hubs or my home SNA.
When I was a group 3 gold, I do recall seeing GA's often chastise someone trying to sneak by and then announcing "we are only boarding group 2 now...".

Now that they let us lowly plats board with the truly elite folks, I no longer get to witness much of the gate carnage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.